• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Really?

Thought it was his best game in quite a while. Particularly the opening half an hour he looked good. Released the ball a bit quicker, combined with Walker a couple of times. Found players inside. Put in some decent crosses.

Faded a bit coming towards the end of the first and into the second, some old flaws showing a bit too clearly. But terrible overall? No, I really don't think so.

His first half performance was so bad that everyone at the pub wanted him hauled off at HT. I would say it was one of his worst and that is bad.

His first half performance was so bad that everyone at the pub wanted him hauled off at HT. I would say it was one of his worst and that is bad.

I must have saw a different match? Yes he had that sequence where he had some silly giveaways but he was very good the first half hour. Put in some good crosses and nearly scored.

I think they must have been looking through beer goggles. Bar losing possession a few times which happens to every player he had a good first half and to deny it is nothing but bias. I'm far from Townsend's biggest fan but I still haven't given up on him. He's nearly a good player and I think Poch and his coaching team will make him one.

Really pleased for him. He hasn't been playing well of late but Poch has still selected him for most of our biggest games. As I said in the OMT, almost everyone lauds every decision by Poch ( eg in Poch we trust, he has information not available to us, he sees them in training etc etc) and he keeps picking Townsend. Yet the same people lambast Townsend mercilessly. Something does not compute.

Really pleased for him. He hasn't been playing well of late but Poch has still selected him for most of our biggest games. As I said in the OMT, almost everyone lauds every decision by Poch ( eg in Poch we trust, he has information not available to us, he sees them in training etc etc) and he keeps picking Townsend. Yet the same people lambast Townsend mercilessly. Something does not compute.

he also played Adebayor Capoue and Kaboul for 10 games straight - id imagine he's just not as knee-jerk as some of our supporters and prefers to evaluate a player over a length of time rather than chopping and changing things from game to game and expecting to get a fair reflection of a players abiltiy

Last edited:
Lets not get it out of proportion. He beat 1 player. I still think there are some raw materials there which a coach should be able to use: very good dribbling ability, close contol, strikes the ball cleanly and two footedness....however yesterday until the goal he was his usual self - very poor decisions and wasted a huge amount of possession

It WAS a cracking goal and I don't feel that is out of proportion. I didn't say it was better than Villa's goal against Emirates Marketing Project in '81 or Bale's stunners. He ran a long way, at speed, and showed , for him, a good deal of composure.

he also played Adebayor Capoue and Kaboul for 10 games straight - id imagine he's just not as knee-jerk as some of our supporters and prefers to evaluate a player over a length of time rather than chopping and changing things from game to game and expecting to get a fair reflection of a players abiltiy

Fair point. But Poch wasn't aware when he came how brick some of our players were when he first came. It was reasonable for him to give everyone a try before he found out what we already knew. However, he has largely discarded the chaff before Christmas. He has worked with Townsend now for about 8 months and is still playing him. Not exactly the same imo.

no, not exactly the same but it was just a point to highlight how there's sometimes more to a manager picking a player than how he has been performing.

Lets not get it out of proportion. He beat 1 player. I still think there are some raw materials there which a coach should be able to use: very good dribbling ability, close contol, strikes the ball cleanly and two footedness....however yesterday until the goal he was his usual self - very poor decisions and wasted a huge amount of possession
Actually it was two players. Or to be precise the same player twice - Naughton. He got by him on the half way line and then did him again in the box after he had recovered.

Last edited:
Lol he only beat one player, do you have to beat half a team for it to be a good goal? What percentage of players would have picked up the ball in the position he did and score a solo goal from there? I'd suggest that percentage would be rather low...

Townsend, Rose, walker to a lesser extend have fans who hate them and never will accept that all three have their merits. Even yesterday Rose was copping stick of a group of fans time and time again..... fudging strange

wtf regarding the point him being rubbish last night - he was bright and adventurous. I am pretty sure its the way looks and the way he does things that give people a bad impression.

If he controlled a ball, rolled his studs over it, looked up, dropped a shoulder whilst losing it he is 'almost there and clearly quality and will surely come good' - townsend trying to knock IT past a man and getting run off means he is a park player who is brick!

Lol he only beat one player, do you have to beat half a team for it to be a good goal? What percentage of players would have picked up the ball in the position he did and score a solo goal from there? I'd suggest that percentage would be rather low...

If you are a Townsend hater you will not admit that it was a quality goal. Will he get Goal of the Season (or even month)? No. Was it a piece of fast direct running with a tight cut back and powerful shot that scored what turned out to be the winning goal? Yes.

I love how because people give honesty opinions of Towsnends ineptitude they're classed as haters. I'm sure every single person on this forum would love Townsend to become an incredible footballer, he won't, but we;d love it. Instead, we'll just have to go for the most likely option and hope he gets sold in the summer.

Good goal though, not incredible and not bale like, it would have been in the back of the net a lot quicker if it was bale, because of his speed, but more importantly because he wouldn't have needed to cut back onto his right.

Won't complain if he can do it more often though. One pre goal a season is AWFUL from an attacking winger who has a tendency to have 10 shots a game.

I love how because people give honesty opinions of Towsnends ineptitude they're classed as haters. I'm sure every single person on this forum would love Townsend to become an incredible footballer, he won't, but we;d love it. Instead, we'll just have to go for the most likely option and hope he gets sold in the summer.

Oh yes - you are a "hater", mate.

We are discussing ONE game in which Andros played as good as any other player on the pitch and scored an outstanding goal yet you immediately dismiss him and clearly state your agenda that you can't wait to see the back of him.

Stretch your memory to Lamela's similarly outstanding goal and equally reasonable game (and I am naming him because he is Townsend's direct equivalent) against Everton did anyone come up and say: "Won't complain if he can do it more often though one per goal a season is AWFUL from an attacking winger ..." or "wonderful goal... still think he's rubbish though."

Two weights, two measures; spacegoats and untouchables; haters and excusers....

There is a VERY LONG list of people who deserve to get sold in the summer - starting with Adebayor and Soldado together with Capoue, Paulinho and even Lamela. Townsend comes very much in the back of that queue.

I don't think you're paying much attention if you think it's any worse for Townsend than any other player who has competition for his place in the team.

Good goal though, not incredible and not bale like, it would have been in the back of the net a lot quicker if it was bale, because of his speed, but more importantly because he wouldn't have needed to cut back onto his right.

I thought Townsend was predominantly left footed, so I do not understand that comment.

It was a super goal; those situations are easy to muff up, and you can end up passing it tamely to the goalkeeper if you don't pick the right option.

I concur that there is no need to change one's opinion of a player based on that single goal, though I think it is fair to say that Lamela would probably not have scored it; he seems to lack the "getaway" speed.

Back