• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FAVORITE SPUR AS A KID AND FAVORITE SPUR NOW

Greavsie as a kid. Then Jennings and Perryman, who were both tremendous competitors. I met Steve a couple of times at charity events after he retired. A real nice bloke, as is Jennings. Also liked Knowles back in the day, partly because he played full-back, as did I, so I made a point of watching him closely. Always thought he was underrated.

Hoddle. First favourite player and my all time favourite player.

Eriksen. Silky touches and an eye for goal.

Notable mentions. Perryman. Waddle. Gascoigne. Lineker. Ginola. Sheringham. Bale. King. Hughton. Thorsvedt. Carr.

great point about Cyril in there, sorely underrated...Mike England and Gilly fit that category too...Stevie P was a ledge, Gazza...I fell hard for Berba -loved him and was properly fudging gutted when he left (and how!)...Bale was irrepressible...Luka fantastic...so many lovely players have come through our club...

As a kid it was Hoddle, his goal against Forest is what got me supporting Spurs.

Now it has to be Kane.

And some of the replies in this thread make me feel very old :(

At least some of us 'oldies' had the sheer bliss of watching some great teams! I harp on about the early 80's (thanks for joining with me on that, Steff) almost incessantly!! What a great club to support!!!

I assume there is a Dave Mackay thread? Can someone link me to it please as its not showing up for me.

In the garden playing football with my brother in the early 70s I was always Martin Chivers. Later on it was Steve Perryman, and I always liked Tony Galvin with his rolled down socks and no shin pads (how hard was he?), until Chrissie Waddle took over.... for a season Richard Gough could do no wrong, then Gary Mabbutt... then Bale :(
Today I like the lot... but particularly Hugo Lloris as he is my son's favourite player.

My favorite player..greatest ever Spurs player....

Dave Mackay................................................................................................................

Then: Gazza and Lineker
Now: FOr the first time in ages there are many in the squad I really like: Bentaleb, Rose, Mason, Jan, Eriksen but to pick one it is no doubt the fudging legend Harry Kane!

Hoddle, Archibald, Roberts, Hughton & Perryman as a kid. Hoddle as a manager and pundit kind of knocked him out of my favourites, but as a footballer amazing. Perryman speaking at Bill Nic's memorial was something I'll never forget - so honest, heartfelt and critical of the club in a measured way. He's the player I'd most like to meet. When he was working with the club a while ago they had a video of him up on the Jumbotron, saying "Come On You Spurs" in the most lacklustre and downbeat way possible, and it totally cracked me up. Love the fella though, how could you not when the club obviously means so much to him. From more recent years, King is my favourite. Kanouté took my breath away the way he received long balls like he had magnets on his feet. Loved Teddy, but remember the glee I felt when he missed the penalty when he came back with Man U (I was behind the goal and saw his face drop). Watching Bale develop was pure joy. Current squad favourites Mason, Eriksen and Kane.

Edit - Forgot Modric! Gutted when he left. And Robinson, esp after he bought all those balls and kicked them in the stands at the end of the season...
I'm not very good at picking favourites...

Last edited:
Hoddle, Archibald, Roberts, Hughton & Perryman as a kid. Hoddle as a manager and pundit kind of knocked him out of my favourites, but as a footballer amazing. Perryman speaking at Bill Nic's memorial was something I'll never forget - so honest, heartfelt and critical of the club in a measured way. He's the player I'd most like to meet. When he was working with the club a while ago they had a video of him up on the Jumbotron, saying "Come On You Spurs" in the most lacklustre and downbeat way possible, and it totally cracked me up. Love the fella though, how could you not when the club obviously means so much to him. From more recent years, King is my favourite. Kanouté took my breath away the way he received long balls like he had magnets on his feet. Loved Teddy, but remember the glee I felt when he missed the penalty when he came back with Man U (I was behind the goal and saw his face drop). Watching Bale develop was pure joy. Current squad favourites Mason, Eriksen and Kane.

Edit - Forgot Modric! Gutted when he left. And Robinson, esp after he bought all those balls and kicked them in the stands at the end of the season...
I'm not very good at picking favourites...

Great post mate. Good observation of Freddie, christ, he could really do the biz at times!

Favourite player as a kid - Freund. I loved him to bits as a kid, for all sorts of reasons. :)

Favourite player as a teen git - Ledley. For brutally obvious reasons. :p

Favourite player now - After the whole Bale thing, I'm trying really hard not to get attached to any of our lads.

And of course, I'm failing miserably. So Harry Kane, obviously - Harry Edward Kane, one of our own. :)

Loved Crooks and Archibald as a kid - the dynamic duo...

Now I'm a bit more diplomatic so no one in particular. Was Azza recently purely due to his longevity at the club and the fact he was something exciting when we were lacking. Now I'm (of course) enjoying the emergence of Kane but really will be gutted if Lloris leaves. I do like Dembele too, not just his football but what I perceive of his persona (I know his limits).

As a kid I think my first favourite was Chris Waddle, with Gazza and Lineker probably also featuring at various times and later Sheringham.

Now? Don't have one.

Back