• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

Question here, are we really unlucky to have so many players of the same ilk or does someone else at the club need to take a look at themselves. That's not said with any agenda against anyone at the club but an honest question.

I mean there seems to be a queue of these players that are not up to scratch or don't look bothered/blasé that either we are really unlucky or there is something else attached to this all.

I have my theory on it all but wanted to hear others view..

Question here, are we really unlucky to have so many players of the same ilk or does someone else at the club need to take a look at themselves. That's not said with any agenda against anyone at the club but an honest question.

I mean there seems to be a queue of these players that are not up to scratch or don't look bothered/blasé that either we are really unlucky or there is something else attached to this all.

I have my theory on it all but wanted to hear others view..

[h=1]Franco Baldini: The driving force behind Tottenham's slick transfer campaign[/h]

Franco-Baldini.jpg

[h=3]There could be more arrivals to add to Paulinho, Étienne Capoue, Nacer Chadli and Roberto Soldado
[/h]

:ross:

But then I also look at records, Capoue came as a top 3 French domestic player (wasn't he voted second behind Zlatan), Soldado's record was amazing, Chadli was part of the new Belgium revelation, Paulinho came highly recommended etc etc

But then I also look at records, Capoue came as a top 3 French domestic player (wasn't he voted second behind Zlatan), Soldado's record was amazing, Chadli was part of the new Belgium revelation, Paulinho came highly recommended etc etc

It's hard to say and fathom isn't it? All of them came with big quality reputations. Soldado had done it for years in Spain, Chadli as well at Twente. I would say Capoue and Paulinho were more unknowns but that being said Paulinho was being hyped as the next great MF at the Confederations Cup and was considered a coup we got him at the time. That being said I remember watching him after we signed him and was not overly impressed.

Paulinho does have some decent qualities (neat flick ons occasionally and he is good at timing his runs into the box) but never watching him with us or his time with Brazil do i remember thinking wow what a player. He is more like the Brazilian version of Kevin Nolan.

You can't give Paulinho an assist for Capoue's goal :lol:

Why not? Everyone criticises him for his lack of balls, why not praise him when he uses them? ;)

But seriously, he did nothing so doesn't deserve an assist for just being in the path of the pass.

At the time, those signings were excited and Baldini was receiving a lot of proverbial pats on the back. Now though, he's getting a lot of kicks up the ass, as those 4, bar Chadli, have been very disappointing.

Just goes to show that a pat on the back is just a few inches from a kick up the ass.

I have a feeling 3 managers in less seasons hasn't helped any and chance of form/bedding in.

Ade for example has been a winner and loser from the changes not fancied/fancied (In form)/not fancied. And that could extend to the new players, Capoue for example isn't fancied so not matter how much talent he might have he will only have fleeting chances to shine.

Like Townsend dais today in the Standard, Soldado needs games.

At the time, those signings were excited and Baldini was receiving a lot of proverbial pats on the back. Now though, he's getting a lot of kicks up the ass, as those 4, bar Chadli, have been very disappointing.

Just goes to show that a pat on the back is just a few inches from a kick up the ass.

Indeed, and how fickle some supporters are :)

Just wanted to highlight Paulinho's good game yesterday. Constantly available to receive the ball, keeping the ball moving and most importantly moving quickly and forward. Very disciplined and combined well with Mason. He may leave in the summer but until then he can still be an asset - especially in games where we have the bulk of the possession.

Just wanted to highlight Paulinho's good game yesterday. Constantly available to receive the ball, keeping the ball moving and most importantly moving quickly and forward. Very disciplined and combined well with Mason. He may leave in the summer but until then he can still be an asset - especially in games where we have the bulk of the possession.

This is why we all love football because everyone sees it differently, me and a mate put him on player cam because he's hilarious, yesterday he pulled out of nearly all 50/50. Yes he received the ball a lot but they were in very easy positions to get the ball and would pass it either back or sideways. What we were laughing at was the concentration he looks like he has to put into to make a 3 yard pass, he did do a great turn with the ball right at the end but ballooned it out the stadium. I might be wrong but I didn't think he was very good today, a passenger in a good performance.

Maltese that does look biased, but I read his game the same way and I am truly not biased against any of our players.

I must agree, he did bottle some physical challenges. He does in just about every game. Heck he did it in his first appearance.

Did I say he had an outstanding game? Or even an excellent game? No I didn't. I said he had a good game - as good as the likes of Lamela, Mason, Walker etc... No better, no worse!

What we were laughing at was the concentration he looks like he has to put into to make a 3 yard pass

As Scara said, 3 yard passes are just as important as Hollywood cross field drives. He, more than anyone else, kept the ball moving and retained possession yesterday; combined with the improved movement of our front 4, this was critical in our first 15 minute burst which overwhelmed WBA and ultimately won the game. I despair that fans laugh at his concentration over apparently simple passes. Maybe that's why he didn't pass aimlessly into touch - as Mason did at least three times when under no pressure. But it seems that Paulinho is the new Jenas for many; both were/are slated for performances which were/are actually better than more untouchable teammates playing in the same game.

As for this fixation shirking of challenges... Paulinho is not Sandro. If we wanted a thunder tackler we should have kept the other Brazilian. Tough tackling is not his game so why is it the only thing that is brought up time and time again.... However he closes space very well and won numerous balls back yesterday - keeping both feet on the ground and therefore able to start counterattacks.

Just amazing, cannot believe Paulinho is getting stick and being literally laughed at based on yesterday's game.

I thought he did well, and I hope he stays beyond the summer. I don't think this needs to be a thing where he tides himself over until then. And if he proves himself as a good part of the squad, why should we move him on?

I think Paulinho and Dembele have done well to adapt to Poch and have started being really valuable to us.

It's all about perception, his game is small passes and move. Creating angles and space. Someone passes 5 yards to him he passes it straight back but moves, it becomes difficult to close players and space down. Not sure that is effective in England. Mason is more take a touch and pass 20 yards, take two touches before passing and get clattered. If there's no one to pass to its a hurried less accurate pass.

Back