• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Quite a few people here seem to have that opinion, if he is given "time".

No one's used that word before now, though.

So for 442 to have used it is a fallacy intended to ridicule, by exaggeration, those who have supported Poch from the moment he was first linked with the job.

Interesting piece in the telegraph today.

Pochettino desperately needs Paul Mitchell's recruitment nous at Tottenham and 'rival' Franco Baldini agrees
Jason Burt: Recruitment and analysis at Spurs has been drifting for too long. The appointment of Paul Mitchell from Southampton should fix that
Pochettino desperately need Paul Mitchell's recruitment nous at Tottenham and 'rival' Franco Baldini agrees
Nick of time: Mauricio Pochettino has been reunited with Paul Mitchell, his old head of recruitment at Southampton Photo: GETTY IMAGES
Jason Burt By Jason Burt10:30PM GMT 22 Nov 2014
The appointment of Paul Mitchell as Tottenham Hotspur’s head of recruitment would appear to be bad news for Franco Baldini, the club’s technical director. Or so the story goes. Except is it?
After all it was Baldini’s suggestion to hire Mitchell who is a highly-regarded talent-spotter and analyst and whose department helped transform Southampton’s transfer dealings in the summer. Why would he hire his replacement? That would be generous in the extreme unless he did not want to stay. And there is no suggestion he is set to quit.
Given Mitchell worked previously with Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino then it has been concluded that a new axis is emerging at the club – with Baldini frozen out. Except Pochettino was a Baldini recommendation as well. The two get on well and have a mutual respect.

Maybe the Italian is not on such thin ice, then, as he has sought to implement the structure at Spurs that chairman Daniel Levy has always craved. Mitchell is not a director of football, Baldini is. And neither is Baldini a head of recruitment, Mitchell is. They are different roles.
Tottenham’s former sporting director Damien Comolli took the airwaves recently to claim the club’s scouting network was a “kind of joke in the scouting community” – because you rarely saw them represented at matches. Spurs take umbrage with that but they are acutely aware they have to improve their recruitment and analysis and put a proper structure in place. It has drifted for too long.

Ian Broomfield returned to the club earlier this year, from Queens Park Rangers, but he is a scout and has been given the main international role. Broomfield does not have the scientific, analytical skills that Mitchell, who will be based at Spurs’ state-of-the-art training ground in Enfield, has to identify talent.
Maybe Baldini is on borrowed time – but that decision will come down to his role in spending the £100million plus that was brought in the summer before last largely through the sale of Gareth Bale. By any measure those signings such as Roberto Soldado and Erik Lamela have failed. Baldini’s future may be determined by the next two transfer windows and how he reshapes the squad.
The signings – indeed the bulk of the squad – are being given this season to prove themselves. Then Spurs will act. A clear-out will be difficult but Pochettino has the remit of assessing who to keep, who to move on.
There is strong support for the Argentine at the club. He is popular – even if there have been grumbling from some senior players (who should be careful as their continual complaints have not gone unnoticed) – but needs to get some results starting with Saturday’s away trip to Hull City.
Pochettino has worked the players hard. Maybe too hard at times. Training has been tough and there is a suggestion it has taken too much out of the players when it comes to games. But it is the way he works and he is convinced that over the course of a campaign, results will come.
There have been complaints that he does not know his best side while eyebrows were raised when he named Younes Kaboul as captain. Kaboul would not necessarily be regarded as an automatic first-choice unlike, for example, goalkeeper Hugo Lloris who is also France’s captain. But, again, Pochettino is attempting to assess all the players and will not compromise on his style. The mood at the club is, still, that it is them and not the manager and not, despite the rumblings, Baldini who are on trial this season. But time will tell.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a senior manager in possession of any trace of direct responsibility for anything must be in want of an assistant. The ultimate goal of all senior executives is to coat themselves thoroughly in teflon, and in that sense, Baldini appears to have moved himself that much closer to a state of management grace. Mitchell the analyst, Baldini the schmoozer and Levy with the purse strings sounds about right to me, though.

What on earth do Poch and his team do on the training pitch in the days leading up to a game? Game after game Spurs start the game as if 11 random footballers have been picked off the street and been asked to play a game. Judged by our performances there is absolutely no preparation for games when this is surely what Poch spends 90 % of his time on. How come? Are his communication skills really this bad, Are our players not paying attention or are there any other explanation how we end up in these situation.

To aggravate the seemingly poor preparation there is no guts, no effort and a complete lack of professionalism in the players display. No movements, no initiative and a flurry of misplaced/poor passes.

Does Poch have what it takes to turn it around?

Poor team selection from Poch I thought. No pace or width makes us very easy to play against. We'd be better with Lennon as our right-back instead of Dier.

Without the red cards, we'd have lost against Villa and Hull, I am certain of that. We look terrible, not just bad, but absolutely f**king awful. I am very happy with 3 points and that, by some miracle, we are still in the mix for a top 4 spot. But we can't play against 10 men every week and, game by game, we look worse!

Poch has got to do better.

It might be simplistic and more luck than judgement however I can see us being vastly better when Walker is back. He'll give us width going forwards and pace which are the two things we're badly missing at the moment

It might be simplistic and more luck than judgement however I can see us being vastly better when Walker is back. He'll give us width going forwards and pace which are the two things we're badly missing at the moment

I agree, we will look better. I'm not sure his return will do anything magical, but it will give us a right flank at least.

At least Walker doesn't just stand there, watching. He's always on the move. Has the most touches of all our players in many games.

Poch got lucky today. But from now on I want to see Eriksen deeper and central -where he should have been all along --and not out wide.
And I want Lennon on in front of Lamela (Lennon has been very poorly treated)
And I don't want to see Paulinho on the pitch again -unless the team is struck down by food poisoning -maybe not even then.

If Poch can't see what many of the fans have seen for some time he deserves to go -we've got the players to put out a decent team, he just needs to play then in their right positions.

Decenet selection today, except should have been Stambouli for Dembele. Good sub in Vlad, maybe he has saved his Spurs career.

It's fuhy, been reading through all the threads, after a few I just read the posts, come to some and I just know it's dza, and it is. Such paint painful negativity. Makes me kind of sick we're fellow Spurs fans. Same with Finley at the back. It's weird how people, all with the same love and passion for the same thing, could be so far wide in opinions and reflections...

Interesting piece in the telegraph today.

Pochettino desperately needs Paul Mitchell's recruitment nous at Tottenham and 'rival' Franco Baldini agrees
Jason Burt: Recruitment and analysis at Spurs has been drifting for too long. The appointment of Paul Mitchell from Southampton should fix that
Pochettino desperately need Paul Mitchell's recruitment nous at Tottenham and 'rival' Franco Baldini agrees
Nick of time: Mauricio Pochettino has been reunited with Paul Mitchell, his old head of recruitment at Southampton Photo: GETTY IMAGES
Jason Burt By Jason Burt10:30PM GMT 22 Nov 2014
The appointment of Paul Mitchell as Tottenham Hotspur’s head of recruitment would appear to be bad news for Franco Baldini, the club’s technical director. Or so the story goes. Except is it?
After all it was Baldini’s suggestion to hire Mitchell who is a highly-regarded talent-spotter and analyst and whose department helped transform Southampton’s transfer dealings in the summer. Why would he hire his replacement? That would be generous in the extreme unless he did not want to stay. And there is no suggestion he is set to quit.
Given Mitchell worked previously with Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino then it has been concluded that a new axis is emerging at the club – with Baldini frozen out. Except Pochettino was a Baldini recommendation as well. The two get on well and have a mutual respect.

Maybe the Italian is not on such thin ice, then, as he has sought to implement the structure at Spurs that chairman Daniel Levy has always craved. Mitchell is not a director of football, Baldini is. And neither is Baldini a head of recruitment, Mitchell is. They are different roles.
Tottenham’s former sporting director Damien Comolli took the airwaves recently to claim the club’s scouting network was a “kind of joke in the scouting community” – because you rarely saw them represented at matches. Spurs take umbrage with that but they are acutely aware they have to improve their recruitment and analysis and put a proper structure in place. It has drifted for too long.

Ian Broomfield returned to the club earlier this year, from Queens Park Rangers, but he is a scout and has been given the main international role. Broomfield does not have the scientific, analytical skills that Mitchell, who will be based at Spurs’ state-of-the-art training ground in Enfield, has to identify talent.
Maybe Baldini is on borrowed time – but that decision will come down to his role in spending the £100million plus that was brought in the summer before last largely through the sale of Gareth Bale. By any measure those signings such as Roberto Soldado and Erik Lamela have failed. Baldini’s future may be determined by the next two transfer windows and how he reshapes the squad.
The signings – indeed the bulk of the squad – are being given this season to prove themselves. Then Spurs will act. A clear-out will be difficult but Pochettino has the remit of assessing who to keep, who to move on.
There is strong support for the Argentine at the club. He is popular – even if there have been grumbling from some senior players (who should be careful as their continual complaints have not gone unnoticed) – but needs to get some results starting with Saturday’s away trip to Hull City.
Pochettino has worked the players hard. Maybe too hard at times. Training has been tough and there is a suggestion it has taken too much out of the players when it comes to games. But it is the way he works and he is convinced that over the course of a campaign, results will come.
There have been complaints that he does not know his best side while eyebrows were raised when he named Younes Kaboul as captain. Kaboul would not necessarily be regarded as an automatic first-choice unlike, for example, goalkeeper Hugo Lloris who is also France’s captain. But, again, Pochettino is attempting to assess all the players and will not compromise on his style. The mood at the club is, still, that it is them and not the manager and not, despite the rumblings, Baldini who are on trial this season. But time will tell.

This is exactly what we need.
The players need to know that if things go wrong they'll be the ones out the door not the manager.
They cant just down tools again and get him sacked.

This is exactly what we need.
The players need to know that if things go wrong they'll be the ones out the door not the manager.
They cant just down tools again and get him sacked.

Really? the manager can continue to
- pick a side that is badly balanced, and way too narrow
- can't get anyone to press/close with any kind of consistency (maybe a few our players aren't suited to that type of game, but none?)
- Keeps moving the one player (Eriksen) in outfield that really has the potential to be something special.

Fact is, if it wasn't for Harry Kane hitting a patch of form, Poch would be gone already.

Poch needs to show he is learning, if we go back to either the Kaboul/Capoue/Ade spine, or continue to play with no width, what then?

Really? the manager can continue to
- pick a side that is badly balanced, and way too narrow
- can't get anyone to press/close with any kind of consistency (maybe a few our players aren't suited to that type of game, but none?)
- Keeps moving the one player (Eriksen) in outfield that really has the potential to be something special.

Fact is, if it wasn't for Harry Kane hitting a patch of form, Poch would be gone already.

Poch needs to show he is learning, if we go back to either the Kaboul/Capoue/Ade spine, or continue to play with no width, what then?

The players are never gonna buy in to what he's doing if they think he'll be gone after a few bad results.
I'm not a huge Poch fan and I didnt want him appointed in the first place but he has no chance if the players don't think he's gonna be here long term.

It's fuhy, been reading through all the threads, after a few I just read the posts, come to some and I just know it's dza, and it is. Such paint painful negativity. Makes me kind of sick we're fellow Spurs fans. Same with Finley at the back. It's weird how people, all with the same love and passion for the same thing, could be so far wide in opinions and reflections...

If we play well, I'm positive to the point of being delusional about how far we'll go! :lol:

But I don't think we are playing well at all. I think part of that is a lack of width in the team, because our full-backs ain't providing it and the other players selected like to drift into the middle. I think we lack pace, which combined with a lack of width makes us fairly easy to play against (see Hull before the red card). And I think all of our recent signings, bar Eriksen and Chadli, have ranged from underwhelming to downright awful.

I do, however, want Poch to succeed. I think it's about time we backed someone and I'm pleased we have got lucky in the past two away games, coz positive results will give him more breathing space as he tries to get these players to do what he wants. It would be nice to see some improvement in performances, but maybe it's just going to click all of a sudden. I can't say that we have improved from the first game to the current one (12th game). By game 20, maybe we'll look more of a proper team, or maybe it will take til next season, I don't know.

We've played well at times this season and I've been pleased; Arsenal away, Southampton at home. I thought we did well at Sunderland away and should have won. QPR at home we were a pleasure to watch, but in hindsight QPR were a mess, so for me the other performances were more impressive. I'm not judging our progress soley on results right now; Arsenal away was a draw, Southampton at home was only a 1-0 win, Sunderland away was a 2-2 draw and I was happy with how we played in all these games. Yet after a 1-2 win away against Hull, I'm p1ssed off with a lot of our players and think we got lucky in being able to play against 10 men for 40 minutes.

A big positive is that we have 17 points and are still in for a good season, if only we can up our game. Hopefuly we can.

Decenet selection today, except should have been Stambouli for Dembele. Good sub in Vlad, maybe he has saved his Spurs career.

How has it saved his career? At RB he'll have two proper RBs in front of him in Walker and Yedlin. So he'd be 3rd choice RB and we've seen he's not a PL quality centre back

How has it saved his career? At RB he'll have two proper RBs in front of him in Walker and Yedlin. So he'd be 3rd choice RB and we've seen he's not a PL quality centre back

Why are you forgetting Naughton? Who will be second choice even when yedlin arrives, unless sold of course

If we play well, I'm positive to the point of being delusional about how far we'll go! :lol:

But I don't think we are playing well at all. I think part of that is a lack of width in the team, because our full-backs ain't providing it and the other players selected like to drift into the middle. I think we lack pace, which combined with a lack of width makes us fairly easy to play against (see Hull before the red card). And I think all of our recent signings, bar Eriksen and Chadli, have ranged from underwhelming to downright awful.

I do, however, want Poch to succeed. I think it's about time we backed someone and I'm pleased we have got lucky in the past two away games, coz positive results will give him more breathing space as he tries to get these players to do what he wants. It would be nice to see some improvement in performances, but maybe it's just going to click all of a sudden. I can't say that we have improved from the first game to the current one (12th game). By game 20, maybe we'll look more of a proper team, or maybe it will take til next season, I don't know.

We've played well at times this season and I've been pleased; Arsenal away, Southampton at home. I thought we did well at Sunderland away and should have won. QPR at home we were a pleasure to watch, but in hindsight QPR were a mess, so for me the other performances were more impressive. I'm not judging our progress soley on results right now; Arsenal away was a draw, Southampton at home was only a 1-0 win, Sunderland away was a 2-2 draw and I was happy with how we played in all these games. Yet after a 1-2 win away against Hull, I'm p1ssed off with a lot of our players and think we got lucky in being able to play against 10 men for 40 minutes.

A big positive is that we have 17 points and are still in for a good season, if only we can up our game. Hopefuly we can.

Good post

Agreed with all of that.

Back