• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

He suffers from being told to play as an inverted attacker. He receives the ball too centrally and is often too quickly crowded out.

I'd keep him on the right but he needs to be more on the touchline, chalk on his boots, and given the ball quicker.

He suffers from being told to play as an inverted attacker. He receives the ball too centrally and is often too quickly crowded out.

I'd keep him on the right but he needs to be more on the touchline, chalk on his boots, and given the ball quicker.

That isn't his game at all, though. He's always been a player who drives inside at every opportunity, with his 2012-2013 season at Roma being proof of that.

Traditional wingers are largely antiquated in this current tactical climate (they'll come back into fashion at some stage given the cyclical nature of football tactics, but they're not really in vogue at present). Marauding full-backs with stamina and pace to burn are the preferred outlets for wing-play at present, and given that we'll have at least three of those come January (Walker, Yedlin, Rose)...it doesn't make sense to negate their abilities by reverting to a traditional wing system, and that's without even mentioning the possibility of Poch just not fancying touchline-hugging wide men.

That isn't his game at all, though. He's always been a player who drives inside at every opportunity, with his 2012-2013 season at Roma being proof of that.

Traditional wingers are largely antiquated in this current tactical climate (they'll come back into fashion at some stage given the cyclical nature of football tactics, but they're not really in vogue at present). Marauding full-backs with stamina and pace to burn are the preferred outlets for wing-play at present, and given that we'll have at least three of those come January (Walker, Yedlin, Rose)...it doesn't make sense to negate their abilities by reverting to a traditional wing system, and that's without even mentioning the possibility of Poch just not fancying touchline-hugging wide men.

To drive inside from a wider starting position, that's what I'm saying. He will have more space when he receives the ball

I really don't care about Poch not fancying touchline hugging wide men, I'm just suggesting a way to get more out of Lamela. A bit of variation. I'm sorry but things are not working.

But Rose is a defender and is supposed to defend first. When rose is back there shoulder to shoulder with the defender he is pretty good, and stands his ground. His crosses are poor and shots are worse, so he adds nothing to the attack except to free up the midfielders to attack. Surely it's not too big of an ask to get him to think safety first ?

If only football was that simple ey?

Safety first and all will be ok.....

To drive inside from a wider starting position, that's what I'm saying. He will have more space when he receives the ball

I really don't care about Poch not fancying touchline hugging wide men, I'm just suggesting a way to get more out of Lamela. A bit of variation. I'm sorry but things are not working.

Fair enough.

This guy looks worse every week, total dogsh1t again! Can't believe we paid £30m for him, makes Bentley look like a shrewd purchase right now.

Even the commentator said he needed too much time on the ball.
Mind you Paulinho actually needed about five touches to get the ball under control every time he received a pass -unbelievably bad.

He cost £30m ffs! Townsend gets an absolute pasting for pretty much running around and losing the ball, except that he normally loses it by taking a shot 20 foot over the bar. Lamela runs around a lot and loses the ball, but it's normally with a bad pass or just running into someone and getting tackled.

He doesn't deserve a starting place at the minute, he's getting game time due to what he cost in the hope that he will come good. But, like the team in general at the minute, I don't see any improvement from week to week - the opposite infact.

Definately needs to sharpen up, but also learn to shoot with his right foot. If he'd tucked that effort away that he skied and played in Mason at the end we'd have looked way better. Not gonna go OTT on his performance but it was poor, but he did once again show some flashes of skill, worked hard to win the ball and kept it in the corner well at the end.

What? Surprised at some these comments. Eriksen and Lamela owned the ball in the 2nd half (after the sending off). He didn't make any 'key' contributions but I thought he played excellently and made the right choices in possession almost every time he had it.

The challenge is finding a position for him, where there are not more natural or better players already.

In a 4-2-3-1 I would prefer Lennon wide right. I prefer Eriksen deeper in the middle. So you are left with #10 behind the striker and wide left.
Even though I don't think he is that good on his performances so far, I think he could play the #10 with Eriksen and a very solid DM behind him. Or on the left -although he drifts and then you lose the width.

In a 4-4-2 he could play LM as long as you accept he is likely to drift. But with Davies rather than Rose behind him. But there is no room in the middle.

In a 4-3-3 he could play LM with Davies behind. That's probably the formation it is easiest to fit him in. But I don't see Poch going for a 4-3-3

Of all the players we have I think he is (along with Soldado and Mason possibly) the player on the same passing wavelength as Eriksen (or nearly anyway). It is just that his feet don't seem to work as quickly as his brain. And his dribbling skills have failed to impress me, when I thought that was meant to be a big part of his game.

Edit: Just to note my preference is for Rose as LM as I'd prefer natural width both sides --but a wonky with Lamela left might be OK -- getting Eriksen on the ball deep is key though.

Last edited:
Would be good in space out wide, or on the break... but in the middle he just runs smack into trouble all the time. Does he think that Curtis Davies and Michael Dawson will evaporate in the rain? Genuine question.

Someone should tell Lamela they are waterproof and likely to still be stood there, blocking his 23rd effort in a row.

Found it interesting Cabellos was on the bench today, think him and Lamela would have linked up well.

I like young Eric, has been pretty average so far but I like that he clearly has some skill and he tries hard.

Back