• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Whichver side of the fence you sit, we're stuck with him til January at least.

So then the question is do you prefer Kane, Soldado or Adebayor? Only one of them has anything like a good record of scoring goals in the Premier League as a lone striker, and that is Adebayor -- which, along with his physical attributes, is surely why Poch is giving him the nod at the minute.

If he keeps playing poorly and not scoring, then he will lose his place and rightly so. But on this board, Kaboul was finished just the other week wasn't he? We all write-off players and then they put a few performances in and make us look like idiots.

Adebayor ain't gonna perform like Suarez, but he'll probably get us though the next transfer window or two, when we'll sign the next man to lead the line.

Or we can just use Chadli... (I like to repeat this at the moment :lol: )

the debate although heated at least was based purely on football until two people intervened.

Anyway i think Ade should continue starting or else give Kane a try. I would start Ade in the next league game though.

could you please shed some light on why it is you're writing off Soldado, if it's not based on his form under AVB or first team form under Pochettino?

the debate although heated at least was based purely on football until two people intervened.

Anyway i think Ade should continue starting or else give Kane a try. I would start Ade in the next league game though.

You'd be happy giving him 2 more games you said earlier is that right? Ok let's see how the big man does.

I'd love him to bang them in I think most would. I just don't see that happening and it's not an ability thing I think, mentally, something is wrong.

where did you get your stats from? according to my extensive research he bagged 4 goals in 10 games in his first season (he signed midway 05/06).

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=29678&season_id=136

Also Wikipedia but wanted to check with another site before using Wiki as gospel.

The season you refer to was Adebayor's first season, but it wasn't a full season so I thought it would be unfair and didn't want anyone defending Adebayor to jump down my throat :lol:

No, it was definitely you who said we shoudl ignore his peroformances in Spain because they didn't fit your narrative of him missing all his chances.

Read any (serious) article about football finances. Pretty much any club can spend any amount of money on a transfer fee as long as they get most of it back on resale. It's the wages they (and us) can't afford to pay.

I don't doubt for a second that we'd get all of our initial £13M outlay back if we sold Soldado tomorrow, and I suspect we'd get any further payments we've had to make back too.

He fell out with Wenger and Mancini too and hasn't had a chance to fall out with Poch yet. Let's see how Poch feels when Ade takes an unannounced (paid) holiday for two weeks after the ACN.

This thread needed a bit of humour :ross:

1) of course we should ignore his performances in spain when he's in his second season here and we've seen him first hand. A players performances in another league imo is irrelevant. I will consider his performances last season in this league though...ok i've considered it...turbo ****.

2) I'm ignoring this nonsense.

3) Don't care what he did with other managers (and i'm not sure you're correct anyway). At our club he's had 4 managers...2 liked him, 1 made him vice captain and 1 didn't like him.

Sorry KD but I have to ask, why is it irrelevant? If it was irrelevant then English clubs wouldn't have anything to base their signing of foreign players on.

Sorry KD but I have to ask, why is it irrelevant? If it was irrelevant then English clubs wouldn't have anything to base their signing of foreign players on.

It's irrelevant when the player has a season in the league. Ok so you obviously need something to base your signings on hence you look at the players performances in the current league he's playing in....but that goes out the window after he's had a season in the english league.

So half a season, when he was in a new country?

and mainly used as a sub, played in patches.

It's irrelevant when the player has a season in the league. Ok so you obviously need something to base your signings on hence you look at the players performances in the current league he's playing in....but that goes out the window after he's had a season in the english league.

half a season, KD - don't forget you aren't judging him on his time under AVB ;)

half a season where he was mainly used as a sub and under a manager who got the sack after a few months because he wasn't good enough.

pretty sure scaramanga is making that up though

He exaggerated it, but he did take 5 days if I remember correctly to return, at a time we had no other fit strikers. We expected him back by about Wednesday at the latest so he could get some training in before the game against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, but he got back Friday, which meant he had no training with the first team at all, so we had to put him on the bench.

This just comes across as disingenuous KD as you ignore the fact that Adebayor has missed PLENTY of sitters in his time at Spurs, including the one last week at home to West Brom.

Ade is far more in general play than Soldado does...it;s not comparable so why are you ignoring that part of my post?

So is your limit one season to impress then we get rid? If that's the case, I don't remember you saying the same about Adebayor after the nightmare he had in AVB's first season.

So is your limit one season to impress then we get rid? If that's the case, I don't remember you saying the same about Adebayor after the nightmare he had in AVB's first season.

because he already proved in his first season with us what he can do and how effective he can be. Naturally most give the player thats already proven his worth more of a chance than another who has performed poorly.

He exaggerated it, but he did take 5 days if I remember correctly to return, at a time we had no other fit strikers. We expected him back by about Wednesday at the latest so he could get some training in before the game against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, but he got back Friday, which meant he had no training with the first team at all, so we had to put him on the bench.

so like 36 hours or something?

hanging offense i think not.

Ade is far more in general play than Soldado does...it;s not comparable so why are you ignoring that part of my post?

In and around box, I think Soldado is more superior with regards to finishing, first touch and bringing others into play. Yes I did say finishing, I know he missed chances last season but he scored plenty in Spain, I don't see how finishing should be judged differently from different leagues, if you are finisher then that will always (eventually) shine through and I would prefer Soldado to be on the end of a through ball to Adebayor.

Everywhere else on the pitch, I agree Adebayor is superior with his strength, hold up play, speed and aerial threat. But the problem throughout his career has always been he has days where he looks like he doesn't want to be there and just looks indifferent and unmotivated. Even Scaramanga will agree that on his day, he can give 9 out of 10 ten performances, but he doesn't do it nearly enough wherever he's been and he wears out his welcome eventually, he's a very poor man's Drogba.

Why do you ignore the sitters Adebayor misses but highlight Soldado's?

because he already proved in his first season with us what he can do and how effective he can be. Naturally most give the player thats already proven his worth more of a chance than another who has performed poorly.

So if Adebayor can improve his play as he did last season then why can't Soldado under a new manager with different ideas?

Back