• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Would there be any World Cup manager that would be worth waiting until after the WC in July for? They would have to be a damn good candidate for us to have no manager in place from now until then and miss out on all that preparation time.

Now Prandelli is definitely off the table (recently signed a new contract to continue with Italy), I can't think of any. Löw doesn't seem to be going anywhere either.

I like Pekerman, but he is 2 years older than LVG and has never managed outside South America.

things are not so clear....Ancelotti could still get the sack after finishing 3rd in La Liga and possibly losing the CL final. It appears Conte wants a new challenge and could soon leave Juve. They are two names who Spurs should want to talk to if they become available. Levy should wait till the start of June at least. The only need to rush is the potential vacancy at Arsanal if Wenger leaves. That would throw a spanner in the works

I'm just sure these have already been explored/sounded out. We've been recruiting for 5 months, we're not just winging it this week.

Conte doesn't speak any English whatsoever and I've already explained my reservations about Ancelotti. They aren't unquestionably better than either of the two favourites.

Ask yourself, if Wenger left tomorrow, who would be the candidates for that job? It would probably be FdB and Poch. I think it is encouraging that we are nervous about Arsenal wanting our candidates.

GB, what has made you change your mind on Ancelotti? I seem to remember that he was your preferred candidate to replace Harry before he took the PSG job.

I'm just sure these have already been explored/sounded out. We've been recruiting for 5 months, we're not just winging it this week.

Conte doesn't speak any English whatsoever and I've already explained my reservations about Ancelotti. They aren't unquestionably better than either of the two favourites.

Ask yourself, if Wenger left tomorrow, who would be the candidates for that job? It would probably be FdB and Poch. I think it is encouraging that we are nervous about Arsenal wanting our candidates.

but things change, all the time.......LVG was a near certainty for us until Utd decided to get rid of moyes. I dont think Perez expected Real to finish 3rd in La Liga after all their investment. This will affect Ancelottis prospects. Conte doesnt speak english??? neither did Poch when he arrived at the Saints and he still isnt confident enough to speak to the media. Neither Conte and Ancelotti are unquestionably better than Poch or FdB??:lol: Please

Ancelotti didn't speak any English when he joined Chelsea but didn't stop him doing the double in his first season. That was a stylish team as well.

A couple of people have mentioned him but not much talk on Yakin. I thought he would be higher in the running, Basle play good football and look well organised. Lots of pace, width and movement.

And what of this Favre dude as well that everyone seemed to want a few months back, barely a mention now.

Re: ITK Thread

Pochettino = AVB

same kind of system, same kind of ideology, even less experience, we have already been down this road..

Pochettino = AVB

same kind of system, same kind of ideology, even less experience, we have already been down this road..

That's what I'm thinking too. Not quite sure they share the exact same ideology though, Southamption have been playing some entertaining football at times.

Pochettino = AVB

Disagree.

First of all Pochettino has shown that he can make his system work in the PL without a superstar pulling out magical goals from nowhere.

He isn't really less experienced that AVB was.

And finally, just because a manager can be loosely categorized with a manager that once failed for us doesn't mean he will fail too.

It seems to be the best fit for the club, though. I'm sure F De Boer looks a sexier appointment, I'm sure Rafa has won more, I'm sure you could make a case for anyone.

Pochettino ticks most of the boxes for Levy, the club, how we operate and our ideology:

*Experienced international defender with a tonne of caps for one of the world's biggest international teams
*Reputational wise, known as someone with presence in the dressing room, that commands respect of players
*Track record of being able to get his ideas across to a variety of different of different players and in two of Europe's biggest leagues.
*Experience playing in a variety of different clubs and leagues
*Management wise, has worked under a director of football and prefers coaching to signing
*Likes to integrate young, local talent into the squad
*Proven record of developing and improving younger players at both Espanyol and Spurs
*Protege of Bielsa with a growing continental reputiation for management
*Plays fast, attacking football and his preferred 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation perfect for the squad we have built at Spurs
*Combines this with a solid defensive unit, befitting someone who was a tough tackling defender in his playing days
*Organised and dedicated coach and trainer
*Restrained and professional off the pitch, in media interviews and in dealing with the board and others at the clubs he works for.

I'd say Levy has looked at it and read up on him, as I have and...

*He's the candidate for coach least likely to rip up the squad we have and ask for a load of new signings
*He's the candidate for coach along with De Boer, most likely to make use of the academy and young talents coming through
*He's the candidate for coach most likely to keep his counsel and act professionally and least likely to spout off a load of nonsense in the media at every opportunity
*He's the candidate most likely to unite the dressing room and command respect with all of the players at all levels within the club
*He's the candidate most likely to accept the transfer committee's plans for squad strengthening without throwing a hissy fit
*He's the candidate most lielly to play the style of football that Spurs fans and Premiership fans love to see

I think it was neck and neck between him and De Boer until De Boer started whoring in the media at every opportunity and getting his brother and mates in the game and media to join in, clearly in an attempt to put pressure on Levy to do the deal. I think Levy looked at that and thought, right, if there's a disagreement in say, a signing in the transfer committee, I could wake up one morning to a load of headlines in the press because Ronald De Boer has given an interview saying how his bro has been given the players he doesn't want and this that and the other, all designed to put pressure on the club to get his own way.

It will be a worry for Levy that De Boer acted the way he did during this process and it clearly caused a massive and embarrassing episode with Sherwood, who then used the media to make Levy and teh club look like a bunch of mugs.

It seems harsh on De Boer, but if you have to choose between 2 people and they are pretty much neck and neck, Pochettino's complete and total professionalism during this whole episode must have swung things MASSIVELY in his favour and that's how it is now looking.

Great post
yeah it might be ok using a translator on the south coast after over 18 months in english football, but he wont get away with it at a club like Spurs....he will have to man up and directly address the journos

Why? If it works well for him and the club, then that's great. It will deflect attention away from us because the red top journalists don't have the attention span to read subtitles and will just get bored.

Sherwood would still be in a job if he'd used a translator. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt…

There's a few things that I'd be worried about with Pochettino

- Never had to really deal with huge expectations. No doubting the good work he's done at Espanyol and Southampton but considering the clubs and their ambitions there wasn't a tremendous amount of pressure on him.

- Managing a side in Europe. Not only is European football a different beast but there's also the other consideration of the amount of extra games we're playing which leads onto....

- ... there's articles which mention his approach to preparation of games. Can he do this as effectively when consistently playing every three/four days.

- Managing a big squad. He's been able to maintain a settled eleven throughout his career, how will he manage with our big squad with rotation and motivating all players. He's recognised for his man management ability but this is a different challenge he has arguably yet to face.

- Also the quality and ego's of the players that he's working with. He dealt well with eccentric characters like Osvaldo at Espanyol but, with all due respect to Southampton, we have bigger and more reputable players.

There's an argument to say that the only way of him getting this experience is if we put him in charge but are we the right club with the board and fanbase largely demanding immediate success. Do we really have the patience to allow him to develop while managing us or are we better off with someone who already has this experience.

I'm not against Pochettino but he still represents a big risk

Not saying he's my 1st choice (he's my 3rd) but on paper, Pochettino and Spurs players are perfect for each other.

POCHETINNO
Likes to narrow the pitch which he calls "the heart of play" with 3 engine men and 1 number 10 behind a pressing forward.
Dembele, Paulinho and Sandro are the engines with Eriksen free as the number 10 suits this perfectly. They press from the front by default and converted Lambert into a pressing forward who said it took him a while to be geared up for this role but in Adebayor we have a ready made pressing forward.

FDB
Plays a "controlling number 6" with 2 midfielders in front supporting the front 3. They also push forward as much as possible creating numerical advantages/triangles whenever possible
Bentaleb as the controller with Eriksen and 1 other in front supporting Fischer, striker and Lamela

RAFA
No thanks, not for us

GB, what has made you change your mind on Ancelotti? I seem to remember that he was your preferred candidate to replace Harry before he took the PSG job.

Because at this point in time we need a sustainable manager while we are saving for/building the stadium.

Ancelotti is great when you've got cash to throw around and superstars to nurse. We don't at the moment. We need someone to hard coach the raw talent/rough diamonds we've got and will bring in, and who will create organic growth.

Because at this point in time we need a sustainable manager while we are saving for/building the stadium.

Ancelotti is great when you've got cash to throw around and superstars to nurse. We don't at the moment. We need someone to hard coach the raw talent/rough diamonds we've got and will bring in, and who will create organic growth.

Fair points. I think that United will bin LvG and appoint Ancelotti if he becomes available. Would LvG become your preferred option again in that scenario?

Not saying he's my 1st choice (he's my 3rd) but on paper, Pochettino and Spurs players are perfect for each other.

POCHETINNO
Likes to narrow the pitch which he calls "the heart of play" with 3 engine men and 1 number 10 behind a pressing forward.
Dembele, Paulinho and Sandro are the engines with Eriksen free as the number 10 suits this perfectly. They press from the front by default and converted Lambert into a pressing forward who said it took him a while to be geared up for this role but in Adebayor we have a ready made pressing forward.

FDB
Plays a "controlling number 6" with 2 midfielders in front supporting the front 3. They also push forward as much as possible creating numerical advantages/triangles whenever possible
Bentaleb as the controller with Eriksen and 1 other in front supporting Fischer, striker and Lamela

RAFA
No thanks, not for us

Both play variations of 4-3-3 I think. Both will find it easy to work with our squad IMO.

Poch's is more 4-3-2-1 - basically the wide players tuck back more to be make a flat 5 when defending. Eriksen and Lamela as the two could to a similar job to Lallana and Rodriguez. Soldado will score loads in a Poch team, but I agree Ade would be a better 'pressing from the front' option. I think Holtby in CM would give us better short-passing alongside two of the big boys. Poch also moved slowly to a 4-3-2-1 from Adkin's 4-2-3-1, so he's not averse to using a #10 if need be.

FdB's is more a pure 4-3-3, with the DM dropping into defence while the FBs overlap. I still think one of Sandro or Capoue is the obvious anchor. FdB would probably play Eriksen in the CM trio and bring in a LWF.

Out of curiousity where has this notion come from that Real Madrid could get rid of Ancelotti?

Just because they're Real Madrid and they might go a season without a major trophy, usually not a good sign for a manager there.

It has also been suggested (football weekly I think) that Ancelotti realizes that the Madrid job is short term almost by definition and that if the United job is available now he might want it as he could see that as a long term project at a massive club. Rather rare prospect.

However it's all speculation, but with Real Madrid's history with manager decisions it's not beyond reasonable to think that it could happen.

Fair points. I think that United will bin LvG and appoint Ancelotti if he becomes available. Would LvG become your preferred option again in that scenario?

I think so. LvG has all the qualities of FdB and Poch (hard-coaching, low resource, heavy on system, winning mentality etc), but the experience and profile as well.

Psychologically I've moved on a bit to the other twot, but I'm sure I'll get my LVG bug back very quickly.

POCHETINNO

FDB

RAFA
No thanks, not for us

I think i prefer this rather than Pochs system

Has anything been announced who is taking over from LVG as the Dutch national manager? Is it possible that FdB may be approached?

Just because they're Real Madrid and they might go a season without a major trophy, usually not a good sign for a manager there.

It has also been suggested (football weekly I think) that Ancelotti realizes that the Madrid job is short term almost by definition and that if the United job is available now he might want it as he could see that as a long term project at a massive club. Rather rare prospect.

However it's all speculation, but with Real Madrid's history with manager decisions it's not beyond reasonable to think that it could happen.

Yeah thats what I was checking, far as I could see has just a bit of speculation that he could leave. Was just wondering if Id missed something a lot more concrete...

Back