• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

You might be right there. As long as we don't try to convince him to stay on (and he seems to have stopped pitching himself at Baldini's job) then the utilitarian view is that it would have been a good thing overall. That's assuming his antics haven't damaged the club's public image too much.

Because he will have found out, by now, that Baldini is going nowhere!

I suspect that a De Boer has been keenly aware of the potential for some time, and thus isn't too disturbed. That disturbance will have cost us most in the marketing dept IMO.

It happens all the time and certainly when a high profile club have an interim manager in place. I think that you are a little guilty of projecting your beliefs onto others rather than viewing the situation objectively.

How often does it happen when the manager insists he's seeing out his contract and isn't a caretaker?

How often does it happen when the manager insists he's seeing out his contract and isn't a caretaker?

It is irrelevant when no one expected him to keep his job beyond the summer unless the team performed exceptionally under him. I am sure that he was aware of this from the off and that the talk of an 18 month contract (in reality his existing contract with the club just carried over with him) was just an attempt to make it look like there was stability. I think that it would have been best for all concerned if this mirage could have been maintained until the end of the season when an orderly transition could have taken place but the press speculation made this impossible.

It is irrelevant when no one expected him to keep his job beyond the summer unless the team performed exceptionally under him. I am sure that he was aware of this from the off and that the talk of an 18 month contract (in reality his existing contract with the club just carried over with him) was just an attempt to make it look like there was stability. I think that it would have been best for all concerned if this mirage could have been maintained until the end of the season when an orderly transition could have taken place but the press speculation made this impossible.

This is simply NOT true. He was, as I've said before, in with a GENUINE shout of keeping the job until approx 6 weeks ago. And you have to wonder why. You have to wonder what shut that door?I am telling you, he WAS in with a GENUINE shout…I suspect his 'targets for the summer' didn't exactly jive with Baldini's either? To be honest, I think that you have to offer Levy 'some small' credit here; in deciding that Baldini should stay, he is absolutely trying hard to achieve some form of continuity, and if he doesn't sell many this summer, you would argue that he has absolutely stuck to the model he is trying to establish, the loose cannon being that he has to find the right coaches/manager!!!

I know some will find it egregious, but Sherwood has been as responsible for his departure as anyone. That people cannot ponder why a man with such a 'winning record' has aced himself so spectacularly out of the running should speak volumes. Why would we get shot of the next Fergie/whoever? Why? What could it be? It isn't just for the joy of sacking a 'successful and great' young manager is it.

Townsend gets injured and the praises start dripping from Sherwood who describes him as a match winner. Yeah Tim so much of a match winner that I cannot remember the last time he started a league game for us.

Townsend gets injured and the praises start dripping from Sherwood who describes him as a match winner. Yeah Tim so much of a match winner that I cannot remember the last time he started a league game for us.

This was a bit weird wasn't it, even for TS:-k

a. Sherwood clearly doesn't rate Townsend at the moment
b. Nor do most people on this forum
c. And rightly so, because he's been pants a lot
d. And Townsend was never, ever going to make the WC anyway
e. But the lad will still be upset
f. So Tim is saying something nice about him
g. Which is clearly the right thing to do

Just to put that out there before the conspiracy theories start.

Where were these voices in December?:-k

Dear Ginola: TS and his public outbursts will likely lead to anything but stability.

Dear Ray: If TS is that good and so important for English football, he'll quickly get another good job elsewhere.

ginola is contradicting himself - our foreign coaches never got an extended stay either, so that rules them out. only issue is stability (and backing the coach that you picked).

It is hard to argue that he has damaged the club's image if the manager of Ajax is making a public pitch to replace him.

The fact that some posters are entertaining thoughts that Tim is damaging the club's image is frankly laughable when you compare him to spurs managers in recent history.
Graham banned for 9 months from the game for taking bungs.
Pleat -kerb Crawler (allegedly)
Venables bungs, (allegedly) dragged our club through the courts.
Hoddle- much as I love this guy his disparaging comments about disabled people didn't stop us hiring him as manager.
Redknapp- I can't think of another serving manager dragged through the criminal courts and have faced a real chance of going to Prison.
AVB- drew massive criticism from inside and outside football for his handling of the Lloris head injury.

So what has Sherwood done? Thrown his gilet to the ground, criticised a player for posting implicitly critical tweet? Doesn't really compare to that lot tbf.

This is simply NOT true. He was, as I've said before, in with a GENUINE shout of keeping the job until approx 6 weeks ago. And you have to wonder why. You have to wonder what shut that door?I am telling you, he WAS in with a GENUINE shout…I suspect his 'targets for the summer' didn't exactly jive with Baldini's either? To be honest, I think that you have to offer Levy 'some small' credit here; in deciding that Baldini should stay, he is absolutely trying hard to achieve some form of continuity, and if he doesn't sell many this summer, you would argue that he has absolutely stuck to the model he is trying to establish, the loose cannon being that he has to find the right coaches/manager!!!

I know some will find it egregious, but Sherwood has been as responsible for his departure as anyone. That people cannot ponder why a man with such a 'winning record' has aced himself so spectacularly out of the running should speak volumes. Why would we get shot of the next Fergie/whoever? Why? What could it be? It isn't just for the joy of sacking a 'successful and great' young manager is it.

I think that we are arguing the same point from different positions.

I don't think that the door was closed on Sherwood staying on beyond this summer but that this summer was the review point and not the end of his 18 month contract. I think that the talk of the 18 month contract was largely to present an image of stability and an attempt to strengthen Sherwood's position. Unfortunately this did not last very long because pretty much immediately every Tom, dingdong and Harry (Frank, Louis and Cesare) told the press that Levy had offered them the job first.

I agree that it is probably the way that Sherwood has presented himself that has prevented him staying on.

You and I were discussing Baldini in PMs recently and I largely agree with your assessment. I am sure that Baldini is staying because there would have been no point holding onto him until the end of the season if the intention was then to part ways when there had been no transfer activity since AVB's departure and a new chief scout had been appointed.

Where were these voices in December?:-k

Dear Ginola: TS and his public outbursts will likely lead to anything but stability.

Dear Ray: If TS is that good and so important for English football, he'll quickly get another good job elsewhere.

It's funny how you choose to ignore or dismiss anything that does not support your views.

I cannot but point the finger at Levy for all this mess.

He should NEVER have given Sherwood more than a contract until the end of the season, especially when Hoddle was in the wings and willing & able.

That way we could have gone after any manager we wanted - as Utd are doing - and no one would have batted an eyelid.

By agreeing this stupid 18 month deal, we have ended up between a rock and a hard place!

I cannot but point the finger at Levy for all this mess.

He should NEVER have given Sherwood more than a contract until the end of the season, especially when Hoddle was in the wings and willing & able.

That way we could have gone after any manager we wanted - as Utd are doing - and no one would have batted an eyelid.

By agreeing this stupid 18 month deal, we have ended up between a rock and a hard place!

Well its easy to say that with hindsight, but you're forgetting when we sacked AVB we were only a few points off the top 4 and we were in all of the cup competitions. We had everything to play for.

We couldn't get our main targets, so Sherwood was installed, the 18 month contract made absolute sense to give him some authority and credibility with the players. We all know pro-footballers, if some no-qualification, no experience rookie rocks up with a contract until the end of the season, they're not going to give a toss.

If the 'club line' is that Sherwood is here for next season too so you better impress him otherwise you'll be sold in the summer, then that doesn't happen.

18 months is short enough not to make it that tough to get rid at the end of the season, but long enough for our season not to completely fall apart midway through.

We all know what happens when players think they're playing for a dead man walking.

Well its easy to say that with hindsight, but you're forgetting when we sacked AVB we were only a few points off the top 4 and we were in all of the cup competitions. We had everything to play for.

We couldn't get our main targets, so Sherwood was installed, the 18 month contract made absolute sense to give him some authority and credibility with the players. We all know pro-footballers, if some no-qualification, no experience rookie rocks up with a contract until the end of the season, they're not going to give a toss.

If the 'club line' is that Sherwood is here for next season too so you better impress him otherwise you'll be sold in the summer, then that doesn't happen.

18 months is short enough not to make it that tough to get rid at the end of the season, but long enough for our season not to completely fall apart midway through.

We all know what happens when players think they're playing for a dead man walking.

I sincerely doubt that it's the contract length in that statement that makes the difference.

Back