• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Re: Super Jan Vertonghen Official

Dawson & Vertonghen at centreback:

Crystal Palace 0 - 1 Spurs
Spurs 1 - 0 Swansea
Arsenal 1 - 0 Spurs
Spurs 2 - 0 Norwich
Cardiff 0 - 1 Spurs
Spurs 1 - 1 Chelsea
Spurs 0 - 3 West Ham
Hull 1 - 1 Spurs
Spurs 1 - 0 Everton
Norwich 1 - 0 Spurs
Spurs 1 - 0 Cardiff

P 11 W 6 D 2 L 3 F 9 A 7 GD +2

Vertonghen & Kaboul at centreback:

Emirates Marketing Project 6 - 0 Spurs
Saudi Sportswashing Machine 0 - 4 Spurs
Chelsea 4 - 0 Spurs
Spurs 0 - 1 Arsenal
Spurs 3 - 2 Southampton
Liverpool 4 - 0 Spurs

P 6 W 2 D 0 L 4 F7 A 17 GD -10

Makeshift defence (one or two non-centrebacks playing out of position):

Spurs 0 - 5 Liverpool

N/A

Thoughts?

errm all those games are against teams below us in the table (apart from City) These games have rarely been a problem no matter who we had in the defence

There are some tough games in there in which we got some very good results.

Stats & results don't tell the whole story, though. I'd say watching the games this season, Chiriches & Dawson just looked a solid partnership in general and I can't think of many individual errors by those two that directly led to goals, when compared to Kaboul and Vertonghen.

It looks like Vertonghen improves when played with Dawson, as opposed to Kaboul, although I'd also say Kaboul & Vertonghen have had to play together in a disproportionate number of our tougher fixtures.

Although, I would still say that from memory, there have been more catastrophic errors from the defence when Kaboul & Vertonghen have played together.

My own opinion is that Dawson is our best defender (not to be confused with best footballer playing in defence) and Chiriches is his best partner. Vertonghen is ok when played with Dawson, but terrible when playing with Kaboul. I think Vertonghen is naturally a bit lazy/laid back, and needs someone alongside him to shout to him such as "man on", "watch him", "watch the runner" etc. I think left to his own devices, Vertonghen has a tendancy to switch off (e.g. Rosicky's goal in the last NLD).

I think Chirches is a very promising defender who is also comfortable on the ball as well as being a good tackler and decent positionally. I'd say what he needs to work on is balls in the air, although he is nicely complemented by Dawson in this respect.

Dawson & Vertonghen at centreback:

Crystal Palace 0 - 1 Spurs
Spurs 1 - 0 Swansea
Arsenal 1 - 0 Spurs
Spurs 2 - 0 Norwich
Cardiff 0 - 1 Spurs
Spurs 1 - 1 Chelsea
Spurs 0 - 3 West Ham
Hull 1 - 1 Spurs
Spurs 1 - 0 Everton
Norwich 1 - 0 Spurs
Spurs 1 - 0 Cardiff

P 11 W 6 D 2 L 3 F 9 A 7 GD +2

Vertonghen & Kaboul at centreback:

Emirates Marketing Project 6 - 0 Spurs
Saudi Sportswashing Machine 0 - 4 Spurs
Chelsea 4 - 0 Spurs
Spurs 0 - 1 Arsenal
Spurs 3 - 2 Southampton
Liverpool 4 - 0 Spurs

P 6 W 2 D 0 L 4 F7 A 17 GD -10

Makeshift defence (one or two non-centrebacks playing out of position):

Spurs 0 - 5 Liverpool

N/A

Thoughts?

exactly.....Verts and Kaboul had a tougher set of games together, so their record looks far far worse. Daws and Vertonghen together is comparable to Daws and Chiriches, if anything its a bit better as we conceded 7 in 11 games with Daws and Verts as opposed to 14 in 13 with Daws and Chiriches. Anyway its not just about the centre backs, its the protection in front of them, and the way the team is prepared that matters too

exactly.....Verts and Kaboul had a tougher set of games together, so their record looks far far worse. Daws and Vertonghen together is comparable to Daws and Chiriches, if anything its a bit better as we conceded 7 in 11 games with Daws and Verts as opposed to 14 in 13 with Daws and Chiriches. Anyway its not just about the centre backs, its the protection in front of them, and the way the team is prepared that matters too

I'd say its a lot down to the centre-backs as you can have all the protection in midfield you want, but we have had such a large number of goals down to catastrophic individual defensive errors this season (more than in any other season i can remember), that this has to go down to the chemistry and communication between our defenders.

I think this is why Dawson is our key defender. He is the only leader/talker of any of our defenders. The others are happy to plod along quietly not paying particular attention to what's going on, on the pitch.

I'd say its a lot down to the centre-backs as you can have all the protection in midfield you want, but we have had such a large number of goals down to catastrophic individual defensive errors this season (more than in any other season i can remember), that this has to go down to the chemistry and communication between our defenders.

I think this is why Dawson is our key defender. He is the only leader/talker of any of our defenders. The others are happy to plod along quietly not paying particular attention to what's going on, on the pitch.
i know what you are saying and i also would have Daws plus another. The individual errors aspect has been a bit freakish this season imo. We have talented players that for whatever reasons are not performing to the high standards expected.

i know what you are saying and i also would have Daws plus another. The individual errors aspect has been a bit freakish this season imo. We have talented players that for whatever reasons are not performing to the high standards expected.

I'd put that down to the fact that we've only ever had 2 fit CBs at any time and they've, in general, just returned from injury. No partnerships have been able to develop.

I doubt Vertonghen would want to go there as AVB would play him at left back

Verts has been playing through an injury last few months apparently. Could explain things, he doesn't look fully fit.

Nice clip of Vertonghen with three of his Sprout mates...

[video=youtube;6rosAb8CHBI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rosAb8CHBI[/video]

According to the Sporting Witness reports are coming out of Italy that Verts secretly met with representatives from AS Roma in Rome.

If true this isn't looking good for us, on a daily basis we're seeing Verts, Lloris, Eriksen and Sandro being linked with an exit.

I hope we can hang onto Lloris and Eriksen. But it's fairly obvious Vertonghen is off IMO. Hasn't looked remotely interested for months.

Shame for him, he has all the ability but his attitude has been called into question this season and now the big teams seem no longer interested. Roma ain't much of a step up

Shame for him, he has all the ability but his attitude has been called into question this season and now the big teams seem no longer interested. Roma ain't much of a step up

Tbf they'll be in the CL next year and they have a great coach by all account...

...the real question is who would we replace him with?

Tbf they'll be in the CL next year and they have a great coach by all account...

...the real question is who would we replace him with?

If only the question was just who would we replace him with.

Unfortunately it seems that Chiriches has some way to go before he's ready to be a first choice for us, Kaboul looks a shadow of his former self and I'm not sure he can't be trusted to stay fit, I don't think Dawson is good enough to be first choice either. And most us agree that we also should look for a new first choice left back.

If Vertonghen leaves that could be 3 out of the back 4 first choice players we might be looking to replace. That's an almost impossible task. In a market where good left backs are about as rare as humble Liverpool fans and where United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Barca and probably Liverpool, Monaco etc will be looking for centre backs. And good enough centre backs aren't exactly plentiful either.

We should beg, plead, bribe and in general do whatever it takes to try to convince Vertonghen into thinking it would be a good idea to stay at least another season.

To be fair though, they can't expect us to just hand him over on the cheap. We paid 12.5m Euros for a young un tested player and his market worth is definately more than that. I don't think you could find too many players of his quality with EPL experience going for less that £14m. The 18m Euro price that the Roma officials are balking at is probably his true value give or take a million

Back