• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

You would have thought Toronto would want him to relocate, rest and do pre-season in that time.

It's clear how much Paulinho is suffering playing two seasons back-to-back without a break, and he's 6 years younger than Defoe.

I suppose for us it's money in the bank and wage-only 3rd choice. But it's also a kop out from buying a replacement.

I'd much rather Baldini picked up a teenage 'next Higuain' from South America and he had six months to settle ahead of next season.

The MLS clubs always seem happy to loan out their star players. Not sure if it's done for financial reasons primarily or what it is.

I agree that we should look to get a replacement in, not gamble on managing being a striker short until the end of the season if he leaves in March.

I just don't understand this either/or attitude.

Can't we all agree Defoe has been a good servant to the club? He has his limitations, and has been inconsistent and frustrating at times, but he's a proven goalscorer who has always been a potential threat for the opposing teams. There hasn't been many goalscorers better than him in the PL era - in fact, only 13 other players have outscored him as far as PL goals are concerned.

He was never an Alan Shearer or Ruud van Nistelrooy, but he isn't the second coming of Raziak or an amateur level striker either.

Solid post Robbo, I agree with that.

This has got the makings of the usual January-window-striker-fcuk-up-blow-CL-qualification that we've compare to expect from Levy.

This has got the makings of the usual January-window-striker-fcuk-up-blow-CL-qualification that we've compare to expect from Levy.

Tbh, I'd rather have two good strikers (RS and EA) than four mediocre ones like we've had in the past. We've enough #10s (CE, EL, LH, GS, NC) to get through the remained of the season, especially as we are out of 2/3 cups.

I'd rather we largely keep our power dry till our next permanent manager is installed.

**** all the haters I love JD he's a yiddo! Is he a complete striker? no but he is a pretty damn good one. AVB's system never suited him, I would think in Sherwood's 4-4-2 he could bang them in again. Unless we have another striker lined up this is a short sighted silly move imo

Tbh, I'd rather have two good strikers (RS and EA) than four mediocre ones like we've had in the past. We've enough #10s (CE, EL, LH, GS, NC) to get through the remained of the season, especially as we are out of 2/3 cups.

I'd rather we largely keep our power dry till our next permanent manager is installed.

:lol:

:lol:

Which is all well and good but does not help us when AE gets injured. Heck with our luck you could easily see both of them getting injured at the same time

Gareth Bale and Jermain Defoe, I think onlyme meant when Defoe missed an absolute sitter at the end, that would probably have won us the game.

I've never seen that as an absolute sitter missed or something to blame Defoe for, just a goddamn "Aaaaarrrggghhh damnit so so close!" moment. Exactly the same as Gazza's against Germany.

Whilst Defoe might not have been the most consistent scorer he's managed a respectable rate of 194.9 minutes per goal over the course of his Premier League career.

Although looking through his stats over the years, Jermain' had almost as many offsides ruled against him as he's had shots on target :eek:

Defoe's in town for a Monday media conference. The club has been offering lucky season ticket holders (I'm one - not sure how lucky that makes me) a chance to win passes to the event and meet him.

To braineclipse: MLS clubs might seem eager to you to loan out players, but that's often being done at the player or selling club's behest. MLS clubs would love to have the clout to dictate terms - and they may well sooner rather than later - but in Defoe's case, he's just trying to stay on Roy Hodgson's radar for Brazil, so fair play to one and all. This will be his last chance to make a WC squad and let's face it, it is a special place to be playing it in. Just hope Spurs don't leave themselves short for the run-in. Our March is diabolical, but the final five games are all quite winnable.

Good thing Defoe wasn't here around Christmas or a few days ago. Massive freezing rain storm brought down trees and power lines all over the city and half of Canada. Half a million without power in Toronto through Christmas and, for some, into New Years. All good now. This week, temps below -30C, wind chills approaching -50C. Someone said that's the average temperature of the surface of Mars. Come summer, it's a far different story, with temperatures routinely hitting +30C and higher in the States for away games. Manaus will be a doddle compared to Houston in July.

He's got family here in Toronto. My wife meets his cousin through work occasionally. Says he's been he before and is really keen to come over. It'll keep him in touch with his Caribbean relatives and we know the family has had some tough times lately. Hoping it all goes well.

Michael Bradley has also just transferred to Toronto.. The club are spending some big money if Defoe does join as well.

TFC already had a decent core of good young players in place. Had to revamp after Torsten Frings retired prematurely after injury. Dutch striker Danny Koevermans was another who looked good, but ACL injury put his career on hold. The team got better as the season went on and consensus among fans is Nelsen is doing a decent job. Earnshaw's a big crowd favourite and Defoe's arriving at a good time. Club needs to do well, fans are getting restless after seven seasons without any playoff appearances.

It's easy, and lazy, to look down on MLS but there's some real talent in the league and it's getting better every year. Wages are steadily improving and the lifestyle draws a big number of skilled Latin American players north. We've seen some really outstanding matches against Mexican clubs in the CONCACAF Champions League - it brings a whole new level of intensity and technical skill and brings out the best in MLS players. Defoe's not heading out to pasture.

Back