• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

I never "got" how the fans loved him. He has always disappointed me.

He will fill his boots in this league just like the EL. Great move for him and us.

I hope he does not stay on loan. I would rather see Kane given a chance or get a new striker this window.

142 goals..."always disappointed"

A tad hyperbolic

Sorry, this season's goals summed him up for me. Big fat zero in the EPL. Scored loads in the EL.

Using half of his final season to summarise play over a ten year period?
Not for me.
He was far from perfect but for many seasons he was a huge threat for us. As evidenced by his record.
He performed very well within his limitations

Using half of his final season to summarise play over a ten year period?
Not for me.
He was far from perfect but for many seasons he was a huge threat for us. As evidenced by his record.
He performed very well within his limitations

Never thought that. Never got thrilled when he was brought on as a sub..can't remember a game when he made the difference.

TBH my abiding memory of him is him failing to score against City.

I never "got" how the fans loved him. He has always disappointed me.

He will fill his boots in this league just like the EL. Great move for him and us.

I hope he does not stay on loan. I would rather see Kane given a chance or get a new striker this window.

A little bit harsh but I can empathise, as whilst Defoe has been a good squad player for us over the years there's good reason why we've never had to worry about the likes of Real / ManU / Chelsea luring away from us.

Since his hot streak in the first half of the 09/10 season, Jermain' only managed to find the target 31 times in his past 107 Premier League appearances (72 starts plus 35 as sub) over 4 years which works out at a paltry return of a goal every 218.4 minutes (even Adebayor has averaged a goal every 191.9 minutes whilst at Spurs despite last season' woeful return).

I wish Defoe all the best in MLS but agree that we need to move on and hope that Kane or another player can step-up to fill that space in the squad.

Last edited:
Not saying you were criticizing him. I just think for his attributes, he achieved a hell of a lot at the club.

I agree, think he fulfilled his potential. It's very easy to say any player could have done better. Or anyone could have done better at anything. Think JD did as well as he could, don't think he was ever a top, top player, just a very good one.

I agree, think he fulfilled his potential. It's very easy to say any player could have done better. Or anyone could have done better at anything. Think JD did as well as he could, don't think he was ever a top, top player, just a very good one.

He was 'triffic from tim to time, though.

Will be very disappointed if we do sell Defoe before buying his replacement. I think we will lose our only chance of winning EL if we do sell Defoe. We cannot find another striker as clinical and motivated in Cup matches like Defoe.

Don't expect us to bring anyone in, especially considering how little Defoe has been involved this season and that was without Ade. We have a multitude of players that can play just behind a striker.

Don't expect us to bring anyone in, especially considering how little Defoe has been involved this season and that was without Ade. We have a multitude of players that can play just behind a striker.

The problem is we have the quantity but don't have the quality now. Don't think any of our current strikers are good enough to score goals consistently.

I see it being reported in a few places this morning that Defoe is coming straight back on loan to Spurs until the MLS season starts in March.

But when we have played with just a striker we have struggled to score goals

Never thought that. Never got thrilled when he was brought on as a sub..can't remember a game when he made the difference.

Remind me who did score for us against City?

I can, I remember one season him absolutely smashing teams left right and center, was it Hull away Hat-Trick season the one we got in the CL???

Really? I dont think he fulfilled his potential at all! I cant really think of many differences in his game today compared to that when he emerged in his late teens. He still just blasts shots rather than having developed the coolness/clinical ability of placing shots, still doesnt do much outside the box, still always offside rather than having learned to time runs better, still misses 1 on 1s.....he's a good player but is also, in my view, one of the real unfulfilled talents of his generation

Glad we're selling him and £6m would be an amazing deal for us - been an ok player for us however, as someone else said, there's a reason that no regular top 4 team has tried to poach him ever and a reason why he's never established himself at international level. Was alway the sort of player good enough to be a starter in a team looknig to finish say 6th - 8th, which was fine for us until about 3-5 years ago however since then we outgrew him and he became not good enough

I see it being reported in a few places this morning that Defoe is coming straight back on loan to Spurs until the MLS season starts in March.

You would have thought Toronto would want him to relocate, rest and do pre-season in that time.

It's clear how much Paulinho is suffering playing two seasons back-to-back without a break, and he's 6 years younger than Defoe.

I suppose for us it's money in the bank and wage-only 3rd choice. But it's also a kop out from buying a replacement.

I'd much rather Baldini picked up a teenage 'next Higuain' from South America and he had six months to settle ahead of next season.

I just don't understand this either/or attitude.

Can't we all agree Defoe has been a good servant to the club? He has his limitations, and has been inconsistent and frustrating at times, but he's a proven goalscorer who has always been a potential threat for the opposing teams. There hasn't been many goalscorers better than him in the PL era - in fact, only 13 other players have outscored him as far as PL goals are concerned.

He was never an Alan Shearer or Ruud van Nistelrooy, but he isn't the second coming of Raziak or an amateur level striker either.

The problem with Defoe is that at 17/18 yo, he looked like he could be a real world beater. But he never developed from there and instead gradually lost his acceleration and spark.

The main thing he contributed to us was endurance. 11 seasons without ever establishing himself as first choice is pretty impressive. His final report on his career with us will read 'thanks for understudying Keane, van der Vaart and Soldado for so long'.

Back