• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

KEANE & VIERA ITV4 NOW.....worth a watch.

Keane was such a winner......to see him line up in your team must have been wonderful......difficult personality maybe but some of his quotes are golden...

Fergie thanked me for 11 years service....I reminded him it was 12 and a half years :ross:

Lost a bit of respect for Keane with his Fergie comments recently, seems to have forgotten how much Sir Alex did for him very quickly.

Lost a bit of respect for Keane with his Fergie comments recently, seems to have forgotten how much Sir Alex did for him very quickly.

It was really Clough that unearthed him and developed him and I think you're forgetting what Keane did for Fergie.

Watched it myself on Wednesday and thought it was brilliant, would recommend it to anyone.

It's one of the great urban myths of modern football that Keane's "tackle" (it wasn't actually a tackle - it was an assault) ended Haaland's career. It didn't. Keane hit Haaland's tailing right leg - but the cause of Haaland's retirement was an on-going, chronic problem with his left leg. People forget that Haaland played on in that game and played for Norway and City in subsequent weeks too.

Haaland via Wiki:

"I'm only glad my leg was off the ground, otherwise he would have done me a lot of damage"

So, if it had been a totally different tackle it would have been much worse? That's an "if my aunt had nuts..." quote. Another Haaland quote from Wiki:

'I want to make it clear that it was not the knee that took a knock in the Manchester derby, despite what some papers have reported.

'It's my left knee that's been bothering me and it was clearly shown on Sky that it was my right knee that took the knock. It's been bothering me for three months.'

It was chronic problems with Haaland's left leg that did for him, not Keane's tackle on his right.

In a weird way it was in both Keane and Haaland's interests to perpetuate the myth the tackle was more serious than it was. Keane because it bolstered him image and ego as a hard man, and Haaland because he got to play the victim card and potentially a payout from United/Keane. I think that's what happened.

Quotes from Wiki here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alf-Inge_Håland#Feud_with_Manchester_United_and_Roy_Keane

For those of you who haven't watched the show already

Keane and Viera: Best of Enemies | itvplayer

He said he hated Arsenal more than any team. In his book he said he followed Spurs as a youngster because of Hoddle.

I found the show surprisingly funny, especially the credits when Viera said he can't leave Bergkamp out the team, and Keane said something about him being useless for away games and pre-season tours because he can't fly.

Just like Bergkamp in that regard then... if only Spurs managed to sign those 2 players then perhaps we wouldn't have been condemned to mid table mediocrity from 1992 to 2005.

For those of you who haven't watched the show already

Keane and Viera: Best of Enemies | itvplayer

Just like Bergkamp in that regard then... if only Spurs managed to sign those 2 players then perhaps we wouldn't have been condemned to mid table mediocrity from 1992 to 2005.

The whole of the Ajax youth system (Davids, De Boer etc.) all state Hoddle as an inspiration. Strange to be so strongly attached to a club's identity and never have played for them. Much like Xavi and Iniesta citing Paul Scholes as their favourite player

I have no respect for Roy Keane myself. The man was a thug, first and foremost, and a footballer second. A slightly more talented Lee Cattermole.

Man Utd weren't successful because of him. They were successful because of the talent around him. The likes of Cantona, Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Yorke, Cole, Sheringham and so on. Roy Keane was just the man taking out the garbage in the middle of the park, and a hell of a lot of other players in the world could have done the same job as him.

I have no respect for Roy Keane myself. The man was a thug, first and foremost, and a footballer second. A slightly more talented Lee Cattermole.

Man Utd weren't successful because of him. They were successful because of the talent around him. The likes of Cantona, Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Yorke, Cole, Sheringham and so on. Roy Keane was just the man taking out the garbage in the middle of the park, and a hell of a lot of other players in the world could have done the same job as him.

His performance away to Juventus in the Champions league semi final was outstanding. Don't think Lee Catermole could have produced anything close to that. Keane was a great footballer, not just someone to rough up the opposition.

Nah ..dont go along with that at all..

Kean could play Ok ..and he knew whats needed to win games..yeah...he had to be tough..and that was the main reason why Vierra and Kean won so many games and trophies.

They had to be bad as Vieera finally admitted..its not my style of football..but the battle in the middle of the park it was important.

Both clubs were often in trouble with Refs..it makes you wonder what they got away with...but they would always push there luck and
it won games...

The **** faces!

His performance away to Juventus in the Champions league semi final was outstanding. Don't think Lee Catermole could have produced anything close to that. Keane was a great footballer, not just someone to rough up the opposition.

This was the game that defined him for me. Instead of dwelling on the disappointment, he raised his game. It contrasts dramatically with Gascoigne in the World Cup.

I think the pairing of Vieira and Keane in this programme is very appropriate for more than the intense rivalry and desire for red cards. They both played the defensive midfield role but contributed far more. For that I rank them as the two most influential players of the PL era. I hadn't thought about it before, but the way that FA Cup final was the final big moment for both was another similarity.

At least roy keane highlighted the fact that giggs' peak wasnt that great. What he has had is a fantastic overall career . But at his peak both overmars and pires were better than him. A lot of people are forgetting this now

At least roy keane highlighted the fact that giggs' peak wasnt that great. What he has had is a fantastic overall career . But at his peak both overmars and pires were better than him. A lot of people are forgetting this now

I always thought Giggs was overrated. That's not saying he is ****, he's a great player, in his peak he was quick could beat a man and could score a great goal but I don't even think he's as good as Gareth Bale. Fantastic career though.

With respect, that is complete, grade A BS!

Wow. If you really think this then you have not seen Roy Keane play that much. He walked off the pitch as MOM in every other game even with all that glittering array of talent around him.

I thought Giggs was phenomenal to be honest, fast, direct, great finisher, good set piece delivery, range of passing. I remember him tearing us apart in one of his first games, we were **** then no doubt but to get murdered by a 16 year old was no common thing.

I thought he was laying that on a bit thick tbh, he was obviously upset by Fergie and clearly still is. When he answered the best manager question with "without a shadow of a doubt <pause for dramatic effect> Brian Clough", seemed a bit rehearsed to me, didn't ring true, good a manager as Old Big Head was.

A good watch though.

Don't agree with this in the slightest, Keane could play when he was younger, he had absolutely everything. The perfect box to box midfielder.

I always thought Giggs was overrated. That's not saying he is ****,

Totally agree. Giggs in his prime was supposedly a pacey flair player with the ability to win a game on his own. This was of course the case with giggs no doubt. But really how many match winning moments can you think of with giggs from the late 90s to the early 2000s?

Probably only that 1 goal against the arsenal. Im sure some will have more, but not that many.

Thats why for me he is a clear notch off other similar players such as overmars, pires, bale, henry, ronaldo, robben etc when you compare these players at the peak of their abilities.

I would add that perhaps even ginola at his peak was better than giggs at his peak.

Back