• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** The Official 'No OOMT for Sheriff?' OMT ***

There's the million dollar question. To what degree can they be combined? In the end it's results that matters the most.

For now I'll take winning over entertainment. I would hope we can keep AVB and this group of players together for at least a couple of season without major changes. It's far too soon to be expecting the finished article.

I will refer you to the great Danny Blanchflower. We aren't the Arsenal of old or Chelsea under Mourinho. Winning under those styles means **** all, despite what the idiots that support those clubs think.

But what I can say is that we've been a bloody good team now for years, and therefore the demands on a new manager coming in are a lot higher than before. The expectations are higher because the quality of players he inherited was excellent. People, possibly correctly, state that with so many new players it is going to take time to gel. My argument back to that is the same as last season. Even with Modric and then Bale's departure did we really NEED to bring in so many new faces to improve on a team that was already top five quality? I say no. So if the current problem is too many new faces requiring a bedding in period, then I firmly lay that on the managers doorstep too. I just hope it doesn't cost us top four, because I genuinely believe it did last season.

I don't think we needed so many new players, too.
We scored a record amount of points last term

Watched the game at an irish pub ( that happens to be the biggest hangout spot for the Washington DC spurs supporters club). It's amazing how bored to death I was whilst they were into every second of it.

I will refer you to the great Danny Blanchflower. We aren't the Arsenal of old or Chelsea under Mourinho. Winning under those styles means **** all, despite what the idiots that support those clubs think.

Roman has spent a considerable amount of money trying, and failing, to find a manager to that can deliver both. The pressure on managers is so big these days that they simply can't consider the entertainment side of it all unless it's in their job description. This is where the German model is great, the fans have the majority stake in the club and can choose to change the priorities of their club.

The pitch tonight was slow and early on all of our players were under hitting passes it did not help us, we need to play the ball forward earlier but when you look at Ericksen and Defoes movement they were poor, I thought Holtby was a breath of fresh air when he came on because he brought some urgency, I don't agree that we can't play exciting football under AVB and his system, out of the front 6 players you only have 2 that need to be disciplined, it will come.

Roman has spent a considerable amount of money trying, and failing, to find a manager to that can deliver both. The pressure on managers is so big these days that they simply can't consider the entertainment side of it all unless it's in their job description. This is where the German model is great, the fans have the majority stake in the club and can choose to change the priorities of their club.

That's because he hires a Manager and then interferes. And because he wants a big name Manager. What he really should do is hire one of Rodgers, Hoddle or Redknapp and stick them in charge. He'd have his entertaining team then, and with the money at their disposal I don't doubt they'd be successful also.

There is the rub.
This ain't the olden days.
Great point about Germany.

There is the rub.
This ain't the olden days.
Great point about Germany.

Fergie and Guardiola.

Entertaining football has nothing to do with the old days. Yes Mourinho and Mancini won the title in recent seasons playing some of the most turgid football, but they also were in charge of bankrolled teams. The other two teams that have been mega successful in the Premiership era both play fantastic football.

It was no different in the old days. You had your dull teams, Liverpool (in the 80's, in the 70's they were actually quite good to watch) & Arsenal, and your entertainers Spurs, Everton and Forest. And the same at international level. The very successful German teams were always efficient and dull to watch, but to contrast that you also had the likes of Brazil & France.

If Hoddle, Venables or even Redknapp became our Manager tomorrow then I am 100% sure that by the end of November we'd be playing faster, flowing, more attractive football than we are now. Would the results be as good? That I can't say.

Very true Moonlit. Looking to the positive, it makes a nice change in one way, to be moaning because we are winning lucky, or winning and boring - winning is a habit so well done to AVB for that. Of course we want to have our cake and eat it too. We were very very close to that with HR at times, some fabulous attacking football. But if AVB can bore us to 4th place or higher, I'll take it. I'll moan at the dull football of course, but it would be fabulous to be back in the Champions League, and IF the players get on Erickson's wavelength, we could see some sumptuous goals, like the "nearly" one which Lennon should have scored.

SO many people on here before kick off were intimating AVB should have fielded a weaker squad, funny that

The problem for me is there appears to be no signs of our play improving under AVB at all ! Week by week, month by month we are watching stale, boring, sleep inducing football. I cant see the seeds of any "project" starting to bloom, and I cant see what or where AVB wants to do or where he wants to take us.

It was the same last year. How many times did we actually play well last season. Ignore Bale's "paper over the cracks" wonder goals and look at our team play and AVB's management over 90 minutes. How many times did we excite or play well as a team. Its the same (dare I say, worse ?) this year.

Give me a sign of how this is a work in progress ? What is AVB's masterplan ? All I see is regression. We have a squad filled with some fantastic footballers, yet all we are seeing, bar the odd game, is a sea of mediocrity. There must be a reason.

We are so boring now, yes we win a lot, but were boring doing it, and with the quality and talent we have we shouldnt be...

SO many people on here before kick off were intimating AVB should have fielded a weaker squad, funny that

it is surprising how many posters seem to be totally ambivalent towards the EL yet at the same time hyper critical of the performances. this is our first 'bad' performance of the cup so far (if memory serves) Russia wasn't great tbf but away games in these far flung countries rarely are

Agree,

Im not against avb but sometimes the style of football we play is so ugly and i do not go to games thinking i will enjoy myself no matter what the result.

it is surprising how many posters seem to be totally ambivalent towards the EL yet at the same time hyper critical of the performances. this is our first 'bad' performance of the cup so far (if memory serves) Russia wasn't great tbf but away games in these far flung countries rarely are

Not to mention the home team tonight was up for it against a big side from england the home of football. It was like playing a lower league side in the cup or england playing scotland. You know there worse then you but the will run and run.

All we need is a 10, Holtby or Ericksen to start influencing games or find someone who can, imagine a Hoddle or the like in this team, we have the width sorted we just need that spark in midfield, perhaps try Sandro and Holtby with Ericksen in front of them?

We are so boring now, yes we win a lot, but were boring doing it, and with the quality and talent we have we shouldnt be...

This, I'm really not enjoying this season at all, with the talent we have we should be flying at teams and ripping them apart. Instead it is all incredibly slow and beyond tedious. I know all the stats etc, but honestly this kind of football is sleep inducing.

Back