• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

It's incredibly unlikely.

After a standout season almost every single player regresses towards mean. I say almost because there are exceptions to the rule, like Ronaldo and hopefully Bale, but I don't think Benteke is of that high quality.

Then, in all likelihood, he'll have another standout season later in his career, then he'll regress towards mean again. It happens all over the world in almost every sport.

I'll be very surprised if he doesn't top 20 league goals this season, unless injury plays a part. I'm expecting a top half finish for Villa, Lambert is the manager to watch.

Tripped over the ball one too many times? Not seen much of him at villa but seen a fair few Belgium games and he looks such a donkey up there.

It is a shame if true tbf.

Seems to be a twitter wind up as far as I can see.

He's been beasting it in pre season. Well annoyed we passed on him, oh well.

Like I say I've seen a few Belgium games and he's looked a donkey each time. If he's different for villa then great, but I can only go on what I've seen.

Benteke will outscore Soldado next season. Can't believe we didn't sign this guy, would've been such a perfect fit.

Benteke will outscore Soldado next season. Can't believe we didn't sign this guy, would've been such a perfect fit.

Could be true, but as an Arsenal supporter I suppose he didnt want to come to us. And I still think Bobbie will do well for us, and score the goals needed to get into CL next season.

He was a perfect fit in pretty much every way. We're building a powerful, direct, beastly but uncreative side so what do we do? We buy a striker who has been used to playing in a technically gifted and highly creative side. None of Soldado's goals came from outside the area, he relies completely on the supply he gets, Benteke on the otherhand you can go direct to and he'll make things happen by himself. Soldado would've been a better fit for Chelsea where he can finish off the chances Oscar, Mata and Hazard create for him. Benteke's only 22, already has a highly productive season under his belt in the Premier League, knows some of the players at our club, speaks English. Soldado's 28, has never played in England and we've just spent £26m on him, if we don't finish in the top 4 this season we've pretty much just frittered away a load of money to finish in the same position we're used to finishing in.

Think back to all of those home games where we created jack brick for 90 minutes. Soldado's not going to make a difference, Benteke is a handful for defenders and he'd have given us a platform to build off. I really can see Soldado struggling for goals if we don't sign any inventive/creative players soon.

He was a perfect fit in pretty much every way. We're building a powerful, direct, beastly but uncreative side so what do we do? We buy a striker who has been used to playing in a technically gifted and highly creative side. None of Soldado's goals came from outside the area, he relies completely on the supply he gets, Benteke on the otherhand you can go direct to and he'll make things happen by himself. Soldado would've been a better fit for Chelsea where he can finish off the chances Oscar, Mata and Hazard create for him. Benteke's only 22, already has a highly productive season under his belt in the Premier League, knows some of the players at our club, speaks English. Soldado's 28, has never played in England and we've just spent £26m on him, if we don't finish in the top 4 this season we've pretty much just frittered away a load of money to finish in the same position we're used to finishing in.

Think back to all of those home games where we created jack brick for 90 minutes. Soldado's not going to make a difference, Benteke is a handful for defenders and he'd have given us a platform to build off. I really can see Soldado struggling for goals if we don't sign any inventive/creative players soon.

Well you've certainly thought about it but it's a slightly bleak outlook, I hope you're wrong on both counts for all the obvious reasons. ;)

He is a big lump. I think we could do with a big lump.

But I don't think we should pay £25 mill or even £2.5 million for a big lump.

Soldado admitted in an interview a while ago that the type of goal he likes best and the one he tries to pull off the most, is the instinctive first-time finish: volleys, long-range efforts, side-footed finishes, whatever. His modus operandi, in his own words, is finding tiny bits of space through ceaseless movement and then taking first-time shots when the ball finds it way to him.

That seems perfect to me. We don't give our strikers a lot of space to operate in, so finding someone with quick feet and agility to dart around the box looking to shoot from whatever springs his way was probably essential to the team to avoid becoming a one-dimensional side, creative player or not. Soldado is that player. Benteke wasn't.

Back