• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low..."

the genre spanner

Calum Davenport
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

Is it time we re-set our sights and aimed higher? We've been targeting finishing fourth for a few seasons now and I think we'd probably all agree that there hasn't really been the echo of glory on the occasions that, for one reason or another, we've missed out on our aim of Champions League football. I've read a few times in the past that it's always going to be difficult to achieve our aim of finishing fourth when there are four other teams in the league competing to finish first.

It feels as though this season has potential to be a turning point for us and we need to shift our mindset, we need to aim higher and believe that we can win the league. There may be a short window of opportunity whilst other teams are in transition with new managers etc we need to go for it - I believe we've got a genuine chance, and in any case that we have more chance of finishing fourth by aiming for first than we have aiming for fourth.

Am I delusional?

We keep Bale this year we challenge for the title with the quality squad we have, simple....

Is the truth. We will need to ensure squad depth though. If we keep selling players, we'll have a great first team but nothing underneath that.

Is the truth. We will need to ensure squad depth though. If we keep selling players, we'll have a great first team but nothing underneath that.

Keep selling which players?

We sold our what? 5th and 6th choice CMs?

One of them to be replaced by Capoue. And we're pretty much where we started. 2 Cm's in, 2 Cm's out..

If we keep Bale, sign another quality striker and maybe Lamela/Willian the sky is the limit boys

Hold onto your hats !!!!

Great post.... No you are not delusional

At this club we have the talent but perhaps not the belief......when both are combined, a team will do well.

There is no glory in finishing 4th for me even if our main rival is below that..... 4th is good because it means more money better European experience for our players, it is a platform for growth but a trophy it is not.

I dream that we will win our first three games and go from there but that's just me... Our coaching staff should tell our players to aim for the title while publically stating we need to challenge for 4th to take the pressure off.

Lets see how our squad looks after sep 2nd and see how we do first three games.

We have the goalkeeper......perhaps Verts in defence could play in a title winning team....We have an amazing midfield if we can keep them all fit.....we have bought a goalscorer and keeping a certain dynamic player could be crucial...........he's a potential matchwinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F it why not we can always dream..........COYS

While it's easy to quote stuff, in all honesty, stating that you intend to challenge for the title is a little delusional if you aren't even certain of 4th place.

Spurs in the last 7 years went from mid table dross -> best of the rest -> top 4 challenger
We have had players like Berbatov, Carrick, Modriv, VDV, Bale, Lloris, and add Sandro, Paulinho and Soldado to that list.

I've yet to see us sell a top tier player only for the money, it's because we don't have consistent CL and aren't yet winning enough to keep the very best.

Nothing in the above or this transfer window says lack of ambition to me.

At this club we have the talent but perhaps not the belief......when both are combined, a team will do well.

There is no glory in finishing 4th for me even if our main rival is below that..... 4th is good because it means more money better European experience for our players, it is a platform for growth but a trophy it is not.

I dream that we will win our first three games and go from there but that's just me... Our coaching staff should tell our players to aim for the title while publically stating we need to challenge for 4th to take the pressure off.

Lets see how our squad looks after sep 2nd and see how we do first three games.

We have the goalkeeper......perhaps Verts in defence could play in a title winning team....We have an amazing midfield if we can keep them all fit.....we have bought a goalscorer and keeping a certain dynamic player could be crucial...........he's a potential matchwinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F it why not we can always dream..........COYS

I think you're overegging the pudding a bit there, he's alright but I think if the projected loan/sale to Forest had come off he'd be a more complete player now.

I think this is probably the most I've looked forward to the start of a season in years - and that's in spite of the uncertainty around Bale.

The more I think about the current situation around the club the more it seems like this is going to be a massive season for us; the best way to finance a huge investment has to be through success on the pitch, the global publicity around Bale can't be hurting, of we keep hold of him and seriously challenge you would think that our search for "naming rights" would become a lot easier.

I think this is probably the most I've looked forward to the start of a season in years - and that's in spite of the uncertainty around Bale.

The more I think about the current situation around the club the more it seems like this is going to be a massive season for us; the best way to finance a huge investment has to be through success on the pitch, the global publicity around Bale can't be hurting, of we keep hold of him and seriously challenge you would think that our search for "naming rights" would become a lot easier.

As Brian Stimpson via Milo once said "It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand."

I think you're overegging the pudding a bit there, he's alright but I think if the projected loan/sale to Forest had come off he'd be a more complete player now.

;)

come on you little feckers..........I am now officially pumped for this season..........

As Brian Stimpson via Milo once said "It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand."

only a stuffing on sunday will make me feel as flat as a pancake........

come on its the spurs way.....get involved......

were gonna win the league.........\o/

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

Is it time we re-set our sights and aimed higher? We've been targeting finishing fourth for a few seasons now and I think we'd probably all agree that there hasn't really been the echo of glory on the occasions that, for one reason or another, we've missed out on our aim of Champions League football. I've read a few times in the past that it's always going to be difficult to achieve our aim of finishing fourth when there are four other teams in the league competing to finish first.

It feels as though this season has potential to be a turning point for us and we need to shift our mindset, we need to aim higher and believe that we can win the league. There may be a short window of opportunity whilst other teams are in transition with new managers etc we need to go for it - I believe we've got a genuine chance, and in any case that we have more chance of finishing fourth by aiming for first than we have aiming for fourth.

Am I delusional?

no.
depends on whether your extroverted or introverted.

There is no glory in finishing 4thfor me even if our main rival is below that..... 4th is good because it means more money better European experience for our players, it is a platform for growth but a trophy it is not.

Exactly.

We got a sampling of what it meant three seasons back, but I would hate to see the club dwell on that as the best we can do. It's a starting point and nothing more.

While a few years of that sort of success might be nice, we must be aware that Arsenal have been stuck on that starting point for a decade and a half. Now their fans are in a mutinous mood because it's clearer than ever that it's just not enough. Even winning the Europa League is a far more acceptable alternative because the outcome means that the club did something positive with what it was handed.

What would fail aiming high be ? Win the league or CL qualification ? I guess getting CL whilst losing out in chasing the league. We were a cup team, so getting a season ender like the FA or even Europa would be absolutely fab. CC seems to spell doom as teams drop off thereafter. Mind you Wigan and the FA cup is also a warning.

Back