• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Just because we're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get us

I think that is an exaggeration.

I hate trolls but I fear the death of opinion.

I'd rather informed opinion than 'the sky is yellow!' style opinion that you get from some. The bare-faced trolling is just as bad as incredibly obvious 'the sky is blue!' superficial insight you get from most. I prefer the 'the sky is blue because...' that you rarely seem to get.

In the Gareth Bale thread, there's a link to a Telegraph article quoting Ancelotti as saying Bale isn't in their plans anymore and he's happy with the players he's got.

The Daily Mail chooses to completely ignore that story and instead ran another nebulous piece on ManU getting into the Bale bidding 'war' - like there's an actual contest on for Bale. They have pumped this agenda relentlessly despite no evidence that Real has even lodged a formal bid or even discussed actual terms with an actual Spurs official. This is the same paper who had a prominent columnist - Neil Ashton- declare firmly that the transfer to Real was going to happen this summer. So they ignore the Ancelotti quotes because it runs counter to all the rubbish they've published about Bale the past two months.

Yeah, they're out to get us.

Do you think that the newspapers care one way or another what happens with Bale? I think that they are just happy to have three big name players (Rooney, Bale and Suarez) agitating for moves that have rumbled on all summer. They are easy stories for them.

Do you think that the newspapers care one way or another what happens with Bale? I think that they are just happy to have three big name players (Rooney, Bale and Suarez) agitating for moves that have rumbled on all summer. They are easy stories for them.

yeah its not just Bale...they jump on any snippet of info regarding Suarez and Rooney too.

I'd rather informed opinion than 'the sky is yellow!' style opinion that you get from some. The bare-faced trolling is just as bad as incredibly obvious 'the sky is blue!' superficial insight you get from most. I prefer the 'the sky is blue because...' that you rarely seem to get.

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.”
""Whenever the media covers anything I know about in intimate detail ... they always get it wrong."

Most people's opinions are based on other people's opinions, so it becomes quite a futile exercise in the end. And journalists even worse, because quite often what they are publishing in the press isn't even their opinion. It's an agenda, and ultimately that agenda is to sell their newspaper. So if they need to publish something spurious to sell that paper, they'll publish something spurious.

The media is dangerous because they usually publish opinion dressed up as fact, and then people take that opinion away as fact when it is actually completely wrong. I don't read journalist opinions anymore as a result. They have no right to publish their opinion to the masses, they should be there to report the news. It's ex-professionals that should have their opinions published because, although I may not agree with their opinion, they've earned that right to be heard (read). Most journalists don't have a clue.

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.”
""Whenever the media covers anything I know about in intimate detail ... they always get it wrong.
"

Those two comments are bang on, off topic but relevant, the first big story that I had intimate knowledge of was The Fox in 1984, he terrorised the area I live in, the absolute rubbish that Fleet Street published was breathtakingly wrong, I have a healthy disregard for anything in the press now and nowadays my default position is that a journalist is a liar until they prove otherwise.

Back onto Milo's original point, football fans as a group can be fanatical about their club and so devour every scrap of information or news feed to the point that several negative stories begin to sound like a campaign rather than what it is, repetition of repetition. Every club has fans who behave this way and thinks the press have an agenda against them, we're not alone.

All in my bumbling opinion of course.

Last edited:
Does anyone else remember when newspapers reported FACTS rather than opinion?

Onlyme posted earlier that he craved opinion?
Why?
Do you not have your own?

I've not bought a newspaper in some 30 years now, and probably never will again.

Why?

I've not bought a newspaper in some 30 years now, and probably never will again.

I'm not sure they ever did to be honest. I think a lot people are more educated and therefore wiser to their BS.

That first quote I provided was from Mark Twain who died in 1910, and his observation is as relevant today as it probably was back then!

Why?

Of course I have my own. The thing is I am always right so it amuses me to listen to other people's incorrect opinions. ;)

Seriously though if all people ever talked about were facts there would be short and infrequent conversations.

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.”
""Whenever the media covers anything I know about in intimate detail ... they always get it wrong."

Most people's opinions are based on other people's opinions, so it becomes quite a futile exercise in the end. And journalists even worse, because quite often what they are publishing in the press isn't even their opinion. It's an agenda, and ultimately that agenda is to sell their newspaper. So if they need to publish something spurious to sell that paper, they'll publish something spurious.

The media is dangerous because they usually publish opinion dressed up as fact, and then people take that opinion away as fact when it is actually completely wrong. I don't read journalist opinions anymore as a result. They have no right to publish their opinion to the masses, they should be there to report the news. It's ex-professionals that should have their opinions published because, although I may not agree with their opinion, they've earned that right to be heard (read). Most journalists don't have a clue.

I have a degree in it and I don't read newspapers. The horror on the face of some of my professors at the time when they heard that, my follow up answer was 'I don't need to be told about things I've already seen for myself'. My interests lie in sport, if I watch 10 football matches over the course of a weekend then the match reports feel like we've seen different things and I feel sorry for those who only have press clippings to go by. You miss out on so much having to rely on the edited opinions of others.

Ex professionals should be taught how to explain their opinions properly, most are - sadly - not the most articulate. Conversely, some journalists make a living by saying not very much in a lot of words.

In the Gareth Bale thread, there's a link to a Telegraph article quoting Ancelotti as saying Bale isn't in their plans anymore and he's happy with the players he's got.

The Daily Mail chooses to completely ignore that story and instead ran another nebulous piece on ManU getting into the Bale bidding 'war' - like there's an actual contest on for Bale. They have pumped this agenda relentlessly despite no evidence that Real has even lodged a formal bid or even discussed actual terms with an actual Spurs official. This is the same paper who had a prominent columnist - Neil Ashton- declare firmly that the transfer to Real was going to happen this summer. So they ignore the Ancelotti quotes because it runs counter to all the rubbish they've published about Bale the past two months.

Yeah, they're out to get us.

Not sure if you're serious? Not trying to be flippant, but there's nothing in your first two paragraphs to support that they're out to get us.

I'm not sure they ever did to be honest. I think a lot people are more educated and therefore wiser to their BS.

That first quote I provided was from Mark Twain who died in 1910, and his observation is as relevant today as it probably was back then!

Agreed.

Why?

I find a lot of opinion pieces very interesting.

Everyone has their own opinions of course, but discussion around various opinions can be very informative. If the only things presented are facts and people just based on that come to their own opinions you essentially end up with a form of relativism I think. All opinions become just as good, because there's no discussion around each opinion.

Unfortunately we frequently get cliches and bland statements masquerading as opinions and of course opinions based on ignorance and guesswork. Neither of those are any good. But informed, well considered, rational opinions that are well presented can be very interesting.

Newspapers have always been opinion pieces rather than information.

For eons the papers in the UK have always had a political agenda, the Daily Mail and the Telegraph seen as traditional right wing and Conservative paper and the Mirror and the Guardian being left wing papers and the Sun getting into bed with whoever was going to win.

It is sports journalism that has changed, with the growth and popularity of the premier league it has evolved into the mass media 24/7 football news society that we live in today. I remember during the summer when there used to be pretty much no football in the papers. Now everyone is interested in football they need stuff to keep readers coming to the papers during the months when there is no football.

One thing I really like is American sports journalism, the stuff written for the NFL is really good, especially the stuff written by Peter King for Sports Illustrated.

The Sun... And their anti spurs agenda

Is it me? Or are The Sun journos the biggest gooner loving plums always desperate to orchestrate the move of our biggest talents?

Everyday it's the same old rehash of bale is defiantly going basically because they say so.

My favourite was the big headline of bale supposedly saying he will never wear a spurs shirt again. When actually reading the article they were quoting a Wales insider...

And today when most papers are quoting that Madrid are losing interest and that ancelloti is to have said Bale is not in his plans. The Sun are 100% sure he is going with more "insiders"

I know 99.9% of transfer talk is flimflam and not to be taken seriously but there is something about SunSport that seriously tinkles me off.

Re: The Sun... And their anti spurs agenda

welcome xzentric...... don't worry about the sun.....or the other rags......most of the times its guesswork and speculation designed to sell papers....

not to long and we will all be put out of our misery.......

it will be gutting but we will carry on without Bale if needs be..... the sun definitely has some pro goon writers though.......if le arse don't get a win at the weekend expect Samuel to go to town on Wenger........

hopefully we ride the brickstorm and smell of roses after its all good.

Fleet Street always did have a poor reputation but The Sun has taken the lead in dragging the press down to new lower levels on most subjects.

In the last five years the media in general have got ridiculous, print what they want truth or not and get away with it.

Back