• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

The Guardian: Gareth Bale has been left distraught by the refusal of Daniel Levy, the Tottenham Hotspur chairman, to consider a world record €100m – £86.3m – offer from Real Madrid.

Mirror: Sources in Spain claim that Real had an astonishing £81m bid for Bale rejected. But Real are refusing to give up in their pursuit of Bale and think £85m could be enough.

I cant imagine that to be the case, the soldado deal would signal a few things. Soldado wouldnt come if we sold Bale - im sure.

In the off chance you are right - it would be proper brick if we cant just for fudgein once have a proper stab at the league (with al departments of the team at full strength as it would be with soldado)

The reports I've seen are all similar. Similar in the copy/paste way sports journos who need to file copy are. And also pretty thin on quotes as is also the way with these sensation pieces. So at this point I would not even discount that no bid has been made, let alone Bales supposed reaction to it. To me there are to many indicators that bale is staying but some journos somewhere thinks he has a scoop.

Either way I hope that Levy tells these pricks to fudge right off.

Football is a mess. There's of course some truth to this because we would have denied it some time ago. I'll get over it but it is a horrible endless cycle which will always mean the same clubs will dominate and cherry pick their way to success and the only to break the dominance is to be bought by a tycoon.

Anyway, lets just see what happens.

The reports I've seen are all similar. Similar in the copy/paste way sports journos who need to file copy are. And also pretty thin on quotes as is also the way with these sensation pieces. So at this point I would not even discount that no bid has been made, let alone Bales supposed reaction to it. To me there are to many indicators that bale is staying but some journos somewhere thinks he has a scoop.

Either way I hope that Levy tells these pricks to fudge right off.

I mentioned in another thread - if you (media) come out everyday saying something about the transfer - law of averages state you will be right once. I could say it for the next year and then tell you guys I told you so.

I dont think the media can NOT talk about it because they will 'miss' out on the 'scoop' which it isnt anymore because theyre all in on it but they have to be seen theyre on the case.

I think he'll stay. I think at the start of the summer he had a good, sensible look at the situation - young man, young family, promising club, team built around him, great boss - and figured it would not do any harm to stay. Indeed, for his own development there would be a real risk of going to a club like Madrid too early.

I really hope that Madrid haven't managed to get inside that logic but I fear they have. I worry that it may be they have managed to butter up the whole family aspect of it... fly them back to Wales every week etc. But I think this is still just paper talk, a lot of the stories we are seeing now are just lifted from Marca and it's well known how dishonest they will be to sell their paper (let's face it, that's all they are doing).

HOWEVER: if Bale were to go, whilst I will be tremendously disappointed about the weakend position our team will be in, I cannot help at the sort of price we are talking about it his damn good business. For a start, he is not worth £80m+. He isn't as talented as Messi or Ronaldo, and if you compare Ronaldo's impact in the Premiership, he is nowhere near as consistent or prolific. Please don't get me wrong, he's a helluva player. But we have sold Berbatov, Modric and Carrick over the last seven years or so and maintained our position; challengers for top four. You could certainly argue that selling these sort of players is what is stopping us from progressing, and also the message it sends out. I accept that. But, in reality, we have missed out on that extra little bit by a fraction, a hair's breadth, and to be honest when you look at what happened last year, in 2006 and this year, I think we've genuinely been unlucky. If Bale goes, I firmly believe we will still be in the hunt for a CL spot. I do think other players will step up, I do think the goals will come from somewhere else. Look at Liverpool after Suarez got his banned, they just got on with it. We have enough quality to kick on.

£81m. That would build a fifth of our new stadium. A fifth! That kop we all want? Could probably pay for the lot. Clearly, none of us know about how the financial side of these things really pan out. But here's a little thought, almost exciting in a way.... so far, all the figures banded about have been from Madrid's side. Negotiations haven't even started yet. Can you imagine what happens to that price if and when Levy decides to play ball?

Do I think we should sell then? No. I'd like us to have the best team possible, I like the guy, the money for the stadium will emerge from somewhere, happy to risk selling him for less in the future, don't want to send the message out we are a selling club etc etc. But if we were to deal at that price, well, it would be damn good business in my book.

But like I said, I think he's staying :)

Daily Mail: Tottenham superstar Gareth Bale is in turmoil after the club turned down a world record £82 million bid for him from Real Madrid.

So, which number is the right one then? :lol:

Something's been 'leaked' ie planted by an agent or Madrid. Levy said he's not selling, and clearly doesn't want to sell this summer. Bale himself, I don't think would mind another year with AVB, he did so well working under him last year, and Bale has more to come imo. More to learn. If Spurs can keep the player onside, then I think he'll stay for another year. A 100+ bid however and it's hard to see us turning that down.

How desperate are Madrid?
Have these stories come from Madrid or Bale's agent?
Or rehashed crap from Spanish newspapers?

Lets hope the later.

We are now experiencing the pressure I thought we would but I expected it to come a lot earlier....the tactics from Madrid are shocking though.......tossers.........

We really do need this crap to stop soon......so we can get on with our season and not get de-railed early on......gonna trust levy want bale to stay but I also understand it if he does want to go.

can we cancel this relationship with Madrid though......what a joke!

We are now experiencing the pressure I thought we would but I expected it to come a lot earlier....the tactics from Madrid are shocking though.......tossers.........

We really do need this crap to stop soon......so we can get on with our season and not get de-railed early on......gonna trust levy want bale to stay but I also understand it if he does want to go.

can we cancel this relationship with Madrid though......what a joke!

Cancel it, and publicly tell them to do one. Player has a contract with his current employer and, as stated, will not be moving this transfer window.

Levy should tell Madrid to stick their £85 million up their jacksie! They can launder their dirty money somewhere else!!!

Something's been 'leaked' ie planted by an agent or Madrid. Levy said he's not selling, and clearly doesn't want to sell this summer. Bale himself, I don't think would mind another year with AVB, he did so well working under him last year, and Bale has more to come imo. More to learn. If Spurs can keep the player onside, then I think he'll stay for another year. A 100+ bid however and it's hard to see us turning that down.

How desperate are Madrid?
Have these stories come from Madrid or Bale's agent?
Or rehashed crap from Spanish newspapers?

Lets hope the later.

I've been told this evening, not by someone at the club I hasten to add, that the reason why the current official Spurs stance is no comment is because we are reviewing legal options regarding Real Madrid's conduct. The guy who told me has a box at the Lane, but I take it with a pinch of salt that he'd have any insider knowledge but that does kind of make sense as to why, even with the increasing pressure, we aren't coming out and saying he definitely isn't for sale. But it's also logical speculation that Levy would be looking at legal options.

I just cannot imagine Bale saying this for a second. Crazy

I still think (and hope) that Bale will stay for one more season but whether he thinks/ said that depends on what Real said to him really.

Appaently Bayern said to Goetze last season this is your one chance. You join us this summer or we never come in for you again. And he joined. He left the club that had raised him, the manager that had raised him, to go to their direct title rivals.

If a club like Real Madrid say something like that to a player (I'm just speculating here of course), what else can he really think or say?

Regardless of what has happened, I'm still at a bit of a loss as to exactly what we're getting out of this 'special relationship'? Two seasons in a row they've spent the whole summer unsettling our best player? I don't know about other people but very few of my relationships revolve around the other person trying to undermine me at every turn....

No point getting too worked up about it though. At the beginning of the summer, Bale was on the verge of a new contract. Then on the verge of being sold. Then negotiations for a new contract again. The asking to leave etc etc. All guesses. We'll have to brace ourselves and see.

Nip it in the bud. Tell Bale he aint going. IF any of it is true. Which is questionable. If it is true, what happens in Hong Kong? He sulks and says he does not want to play? In which case tell him, you can sulk all you like, you are not being sold, as we've said all along. Get your head down, become an even better player. You still have things to learn. You are not done here. Go show the world your talent while at Spurs.

But bare in mind he maybe totally happy. I wonder how much an agent gets on a world record transfer? £5-10m if he can make it happen?

I think Bale wouldn't mind staying. On balance this is probably crap. It's just that with Bale not playing in the friendlies, and this leak to the press - its the sort of thing that could happen if he were pressing for a move.

Last edited:

I still think (and hope) that Bale will stay for one more season but whether he thinks/ said that depends on what Real said to him really.

Appaently Bayern said to Goetze last season this is your one chance. You join us this summer or we never come in for you again. And he joined. He left the club that had raised him, the manager that had raised him, to go to their direct title rivals.

If a club like Real Madrid say something like that to a player (I'm just speculating here of course), what else can he really think or say?

Regardless of what has happened, I'm still at a bit of a loss as to exactly what we're getting out of this 'special relationship'? Two seasons in a row they've spent the whole summer unsettling our best player? I don't know about other people but very few of my relationships revolve around the other person trying to undermine me at every turn....

No point getting too worked up about it though. At the beginning of the summer, Bale was on the verge of a new contract. Then on the verge of being sold. Then negotiations for a new contract again. The asking to leave etc etc. All guesses. We'll have to brace ourselves and see.

That actually concerns me. We've been trying to tie him to a new contract for a while now, and it's still not done.

Why is everyone getting so worked up? We've had all this before, it's just paper talk.

Indeed. The only reason this is running tomorrow is because there's nothing particularly sensationalist the sunday papers can think to make up about Rooney or Suarez this week.

The thing is you gotta see it through the eyes of the Board. There are risks. 90m NOW or risk having it at 60m because Bale may not have another season like the last, he may get an injury, Madrid may go for someone else (another ceam of the crop) etc. These risks are considered by the Board. There are positives in keeping Bale too - with him we can go for the league, with him our global attraction is at a higher level etc.

90m is a great deal of money I mean a brickload of money though and even us fans wouldnt blame the Board if they took it. I wouldnt blame them for sure.

Back