• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jobs for teens

Because that is the level he is at.

It is like me opting out of work and saying I'm not going back to it because I can do a better job than my boss' boss and it's not fair until I get that job.

Rightly, people would laugh at me, and other people my age would think I was a big headed tosser. I am not saying he should work in McDonald's, but I have almost no idea why he thinks he can do a better job than anyone seeing as he has no working experience. At his age even turning up for a shift, and completing it, is a big step from doing 9 til 4 (or whatever it is) at school.

Well considering all of my friends that have jobs are earning £5+ an hour I don't see why I should settle for something lower when it's clear that there are people out there who are willing to pay more.

Well considering all of my friends that have jobs are earning £5+ an hour I don't see why I should settle for something lower when it's clear that there are people out there who are willing to pay more.

How long have your friends been working for though?

Because if I'm doing a better job than an 18 year old, but he's getting paid more than me because that's legally allowed then I don't think that's fair.

My son is 18 and works in Mcdonalds. He gets paid more because he has worked there for 2 years and done all the training and has earned promotion. He didn't think that at the age of 16 that just because he is very intelligent he should be paid more, he had to earn it.

How long have your friends been working for though?

It's variable, but they all started off on that sort of wage.

You guys seem to think that if I want to get a job I have to take what I'm given and that minimum wage is my only option, when it isn't.

It's variable, but they all started off on that sort of wage.

You guys seem to think that if I want to get a job I have to take what I'm given and that minimum wage is my only option, when it isn't.

Fella your 16. If you can get a better paid job fair play but if you can't just take anything to earn a few quid.

Fella your 16. If you can get a better paid job fair play but if you can't just take anything to earn a few quid.

I'm not just gonna go on McDonald's website, see their jobs and happily take it without looking around. So far I don't know how much anyone else pays because McDonald's are the only one to put their wages on their website. When I have time I'll go out and start looking for jobs because £4.30 an hour looks disappointing

Of course you've gotta look around. You seem a smart kid so I'm sure you'll do we'll for yourself all I'm saying is get what you can to earn a few quid. I know it's different nowadays but I was your age 13 years ago. I'd go out with a bucket of soapy water and a sponge and knock on everyone's door asking to clean their car!! My point is your young just enjoy whatever your doing and be proud your earning your own money no matter how much or little it is - secure in the knowledge that your in a minority of kids who actually want to get off their backside!!

Not if he can earn more elsewhere
It is like me opting out of work and saying I'm not going back to it because I can do a better job than my boss' boss and it's not fair until I get that job.
No it isn't, because you are reliant on your wage for a living, which COYS isn't.
I am not saying he should work in McDonald's,
Well that's the discussion point. You just said McDonald's was his level. What are you saying, then?
but I have almost no idea why he thinks he can do a better job than anyone seeing as he has no working experience.
Because the lad's clearly pretty intelligent. How much experience do you need to work the shop floor at, say, M&S?
At his age even turning up for a shift, and completing it, is a big step from doing 9 til 4 (or whatever it is) at school.
Agree.

So COYS, with no work experience and only 16, what kind of job do you believe you deserve at this moment in your life?

My first part time job at 16 was working in the coffee shop in my local Debenhams, for just under £4 an hour (this was around 2001). Even before then I'd stuff and stamp 200 envelopes for 10 quid every couple of weeks! I too was bringing in good grades, but that doesn't really matter when you're working 10-12 hours a week at 16. But, as a 16 year old, earning £150 a month from working 1.5 days a week was phenomenal!! I could afford to buy the latest PS game on release day! I could buy a pair of trainers and new clothes!! I'm sure you spend 10 hours a week doing nothing sitting on your arse in front of the telly or your computer, when instead you could be earning some extra pocket money. Then after about 9 months or so, I transferred over to the menswear dept along with a payrise and hey presto, I was working what you would probably consider a bit less demeaning.

You say you live in a decent area, I presume your parents are doing well for themselves. Do they bankroll you when you want something new? Or do you have to work for it by helping out and doing stuff around the house? Are you scared about your friends seeing you working in McDonalds and taking the rise (or any other similar job regarded as low level)?

Rightly, people would laugh at me, and other people my age would think I was a big headed tosser. I am not saying he should work in McDonald's, but I have almost no idea why he thinks he can do a better job than anyone seeing as he has no working experience. At his age even turning up for a shift, and completing it, is a big step from doing 9 til 4 (or whatever it is) at school.

What life-skils is COYS going to learn at MacDonald's? How to flip a burger? How to take orders from a superior? Big deal. If I was an employer, I would be more impressed by someone who wasn't satisfied with the norm and sought out better opportunities that probably required a little more intuition on his behalf. The attitude that "this is all you deserve" is utter flimflam. Nobody "deserves" anything. You fight for what you want in life and if COYS is wanting something better and willing to fight for it, then he will get to where he wants to be.

The attitudes expressed by several posters in this thread is exactly why I left England and moved to the US when I was 23. I now live in an amazing apartment in an amazing city, doing a job that 99% of people would give their right arm for. It's not because I am "better" or "more deserving" than anyone else, but merely because I made a decision long ago not to settle for average. I have one shot at this life, and I'll be damned if I'm going to spend half of my waking life doing some boring job that doesn't satisfy me. Don't be afraid to dream a little. Here endeth the lesson ;)

What life-skils is COYS going to learn at MacDonald's? How to flip a burger? How to take orders from a superior? Big deal. If I was an employer, I would be more impressed by someone who wasn't satisfied with the norm and sought out better opportunities that probably required a little more intuition on his behalf. The attitude that "this is all you deserve" is utter flimflam. Nobody "deserves" anything. You fight for what you want in life and if COYS is wanting something better and willing to fight for it, then he will get to where he wants to be.

The attitudes expressed by several posters in this thread is exactly why I left England and moved to the US when I was 23. I now live in an amazing apartment in an amazing city, doing a job that 99% of people would give their right arm for. It's not because I am "better" or "more deserving" than anyone else, but merely because I made a decision long ago not to settle for average. I have one shot at this life, and I'll be damned if I'm going to spend half of my waking life doing some boring job that doesn't satisfy me. Don't be afraid to dream a little. Here endeth the lesson ;)

But............how do you convince a teenager that he would need to go out and do what you did?
The problem here (especially in my sons case) is they think these things will come to them, rather than they go get them.

Kids have all the wrong attitudes, just because you worked hard at school and got good grades does nit entitle you to a good paying job. Its all about grafting, you may well get an A in French and English but what good is that with a job the requires different skills? What people need to do is work there way up the ladder rather than expecting the best straight away. The vast majority of kids nowdays are spoilt and until parents cut them off and tell them to earn there own money then im afraid the youth will still have the same attitude.

I think COYS has a point regarding minimum wage - it should be performance/experience based, not age based, I think. A hard working 16 year old can be a much better employee than a lazy 18 year old.

That said, when you're 16, you're not really in a position to be picky when it comes to where you want to work. You'll need all the work experience you can get.

Re: coys
The jobs market will always be skills based;any job that pays more than minimum wage - whether it's a higher starting wage or through promotion - will require proof of those skills whether that's experience, education or just a great interview.

The problem COYS has is the impetus is on him to prove he's worth more than that, and all credit to his self belief but sadly you only need to see the reaction on here to see that the majority of people just don't believe that a 16 year old with no experience of working life is likely to work as hard as someone older and with more hours on their cv.

I was in a similar position to scara in that I used to do all sorts of manual labour through uni - it wasn't well paid or glamorous but purely because I wasn't a workshy idiot they all wanted me back and I could get better wages. In one job I went from earning minimum wage to double that the next half term - I also made a lot of contacts and became a better worker through the experience.

While I've worked with some fantastic young employees, full time, more advanced, work is a shock to the system, and many inexperienced staff are totally hopeless when they get dropped in. That problem isn't unique to youngsters but it's definitely more pronounced - with older workers you can get a far better idea of how they'll be in an interview - teenagers are often full of enthusiasm and confidence but totally crumble under pressure. When you're learning on the job and under stress, the experience of working 12 hour shifts of intense, manual labour can put you in better stead than someone who's only known lectures and revision.

I can understand to an extent that you're studying and therefore because you have generous parents your time is worth more than £4 an hour, but at some point your position will change so I wouldn't look down too much on any job because the payout is often more than a purely monetary one.

Personally I'd rather take any wage, work hard and carry on looking for opportunities to earn more, than sit unemployed for any amount of time.

So COYS, with no work experience and only 16, what kind of job do you believe you deserve at this moment in your life?

My first part time job at 16 was working in the coffee shop in my local Debenhams, for just under £4 an hour (this was around 2001). Even before then I'd stuff and stamp 200 envelopes for 10 quid every couple of weeks! I too was bringing in good grades, but that doesn't really matter when you're working 10-12 hours a week at 16. But, as a 16 year old, earning £150 a month from working 1.5 days a week was phenomenal!! I could afford to buy the latest PS game on release day! I could buy a pair of trainers and new clothes!! I'm sure you spend 10 hours a week doing nothing sitting on your arse in front of the telly or your computer, when instead you could be earning some extra pocket money. Then after about 9 months or so, I transferred over to the menswear dept along with a payrise and hey presto, I was working what you would probably consider a bit less demeaning.

You say you live in a decent area, I presume your parents are doing well for themselves. Do they bankroll you when you want something new? Or do you have to work for it by helping out and doing stuff around the house? Are you scared about your friends seeing you working in McDonalds and taking the rise (or any other similar job regarded as low level)?

My parents do give me everything I need, but it's not something I take for granted, hence why I want a job. For example my dad only wants to pay £30 a month for my phone. But as I want the new SGS4 that's another £10 a month. I said to him he can take that off the money he gives me and pay my bill with that, but he is unwilling because he knows he's still paying for it.

To be honest I'd be more happy to get a job with a friend to make summer more enjoyable. I don't care if friends see me in McDonald's as I love McDonald's, it's just that's the only job that have put their wages on their site and it would be stupid to just accept that without looking elsewhere.

Re: coys
The jobs market will always be skills based;any job that pays more than minimum wage - whether it's a higher starting wage or through promotion - will require proof of those skills whether that's experience, education or just a great interview.

The problem COYS has is the impetus is on him to prove he's worth more than that, and all credit to his self belief but sadly you only need to see the reaction on here to see that the majority of people just don't believe that a 16 year old with no experience of working life is likely to work as hard as someone older and with more hours on their cv.

I was in a similar position to scara in that I used to do all sorts of manual labour through uni - it wasn't well paid or glamorous but purely because I wasn't a workshy idiot they all wanted me back and I could get better wages. In one job I went from earning minimum wage to double that the next half term - I also made a lot of contacts and became a better worker through the experience.

While I've worked with some fantastic young employees, full time, more advanced, work is a shock to the system, and many inexperienced staff are totally hopeless when they get dropped in. That problem isn't unique to youngsters but it's definitely more pronounced - with older workers you can get a far better idea of how they'll be in an interview - teenagers are often full of enthusiasm and confidence but totally crumble under pressure. When you're learning on the job and under stress, the experience of working 12 hour shifts of intense, manual labour can put you in better stead than someone who's only known lectures and revision.

I can understand to an extent that you're studying and therefore because you have generous parents your time is worth more than £4 an hour, but at some point your position will change so I wouldn't look down too much on any job because the payout is often more than a purely monetary one.

Personally I'd rather take any wage, work hard and carry on looking for opportunities to earn more, than sit unemployed for any amount of time.

I'm not asking for double minimum wage, I'm just hoping I can get another 1 or 2 pounds an hour!

My parents do give me everything I need, but it's not something I take for granted, hence why I want a job. For example my dad only wants to pay £30 a month for my phone. But as I want the new SGS4 that's another £10 a month. I said to him he can take that off the money he gives me and pay my bill with that, but he is unwilling because he knows he's still paying for it.

To be honest I'd be more happy to get a job with a friend to make summer more enjoyable. I don't care if friends see me in McDonald's as I love McDonald's, it's just that's the only job that have put their wages on their site and it would be stupid to just accept that without looking elsewhere.

You get what your bloody given.. would have been my reply, if you had of moaned I would have taken your phone away and got you a galaxy ace or something and put you on a 12 month sim at Tesco @ £7.50/month. :lol:

Back