• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

Re: *Official* Holtby

Lewis Holtby is determined to win a place in Tottenham's starting line-up for next season, and says he can even play in a deeper role for the club if needed.

GettyImages
Lewis Holtby has big plans for next season
• Champions League or Europa?

Holtby, 22, signed for Spurs from Schalke in January and is slowly adjusting to life in the Premier League.

During the first half of the season in Germany, Holtby played in an attacking-midfield role, scoring four and setting up seven in 19 games. Since his move to North London, though, the Germany Under-21 captain has been used more sparingly, playing just five Premier League games in the same advanced role.

Holtby, who played a full 90 minutes during Germany Under-21's 2-1 win over Israel on Sunday, will lead the team to the European Championships in Israel this summer, and the midfielder is hopeful of using the tournament as a platform for further success next season.

"In the summer, with my first pre-season and hopefully the tailwind of a successful Under-21 European Championship, I want to win a place on the [Spurs] team," he told kicker. "I am under contract until 2018. I have trust in myself and will establish myself there. And if I show what I am capable of in the top level, I have good chances for the Germany senior team."

Holtby feels that while he is a versatile player, his preferred position is sitting in front of the defence - somewhere he has rarely been deployed this season.

"I can play various positions," he said. "I believe, the number six is the position for my future. Between six and ten, I feel best in central midfield."

Like various other German players who have joined Premier League clubs over the past couple of years, Holtby says he has been impressed by the way things are carried out in English football.

"It's easier to work on those little things in training, as there are no media or fans at the training ground. This enables you to work totally professional," he said. "The game is faster [in England], it constantly goes up and down. There is also more respect between coaches and players, but also for the referee."

The Spurs man has been excited with what he has seen from team-mate Gareth Bale since arriving in North London, and he believes the Wales international can go far.

"He is outstanding and has everything an attacking player needs," he said. "He is tall, fast, has a great left foot and has very good technique. He has that certain little extra to make him a world-class player - on club level. It will be difficult for him with Wales, just like it has been for Ryan Giggs."

I think the mill we paid to get him in this season will be money well spent. He ain't ready yet but I believe he could be a very effective squad player next season. I like his attitude and ambition.

Bring him in now. We need his energy and positivity.

Also his record for Schalke was excellent both in making and scoring goals from midfield.

We desperately need something like that now.

Holtby

I did search for a thread, honestly!!!

How many appearences and how many booking so far? I swear the kid gets booked each game?!

This is not about slating him btw.

So, what do you think the future holds for the lad?

Re: Holtby

Holtby? I'll let you know tomorrow night. Big game for him tomorrow. He'll score.

Spurs 2
Everton 0

Holtby double

I like him. Lots of energy but over complicates things at times, once he has relaxed and settled a bit more I think he will be awesome.

I like him. Lots of energy but over complicates things at times, once he has relaxed and settled a bit more I think he will be awesome.

Was always going to be a big ask throwing him in mid-season. I think we'll reap the rewards come August though.

We need one (or preferably all) of our attacking midfielders to step up their game in the coming weeks if we want to qualify for the CL, it might be too soon for Holtby but if the reports of his role at Schalke were correct he might give us a pleasant surprise.

He looked incredible for the 20 mins of his debut, but since then hasn't been so influential. Versatile and technical, I think he has a big future at Spurs under AVB.

Far too un-disciplined since he's come here, but I think that's more his eagerness to impress. I think he's good technically, has very good vision and looks tough enough to battle it out in midfield. I was pleased with his first few games for the club but he's been on the bench and played out of position a few times since then. I think he'll be good for us next season, but as someone said it's hard to adjust to a totally new system in January. Hopefully he's like Patrice Evra - some poor performances and a settling down phase from January onwards, and the next full season he starts to shine.

Far too un-disciplined since he's come here, but I think that's more his eagerness to impress.

Spot on, he's like a coiled spring sitting on he bench. As sub he's a red card waiting to happen. Better to start him and use that energy on the field.

I'd like to see him play in the number 10 spot rather than 'do a job' out wide. He's not the finished product by a long shot but as others have said he looks like he is had too much sugar. Calm down lad.

Thought the Basel game was his best for some time. Seemed to thrive in a more central and deeper role. Kept working his socks off from what i could see, think he must have been one of the players that covered the most ground in that match (although I haven't seen any stats).

Added some good, quick passing to our team too.

Yeah, he was much better today which got me wondering, did him playing where he did effect Dembeles game?

Yeah, he was much better today which got me wondering, did him playing where he did effect Dembeles game?

I don't think so. I just think Dembele had one of his off days, he's has one of those once every 2-3 months or so it seems. (Understandable as far as I'm concerned)

I am not sold on Holtby at all... ill reserve judgement till next season but never was impressed - even the norwich game where every tom dingdong and harry was sucking his dingdong... ;)...

He played well from a defensive point of view and he is actually a good grafter but not seen much of his attacking ability. Maybe its the forward he is playing with or maybe he isnt playing in the correct position I dont know but not sold on him yet

I am not sold on Holtby at all... ill reserve judgement till next season but never was impressed - even the norwich game where every tom dingdong and harry was sucking his dingdong... ;)...

He played well from a defensive point of view and he is actually a good grafter but not seen much of his attacking ability. Maybe its the forward he is playing with or maybe he isnt playing in the correct position I dont know but not sold on him yet

He had a 93% pass completion rate tonight, which is pretty impressive. And I thought he showed flashes of creativity too, with his through-ball for Ade's tame shot and his chipped ball over the top to Ade when he was just offside.

I don't think he has standout attacking ability, at least in terms of shooting and dribbling (in terms of creative passing the jury is still out IMO). But what I think he does have is good movement and very quick, accurate passing - qualities that don't necessarily wow you but that are perhaps important and impressive. He always seems to know where his teammates are without looking, which allows him to make those first-time forward passes and layoffs. I think he ties the team together nicely in that central role, and could be effective if the three most attacking players can offer more in terms of real offensive threats.

Back