• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

End of season awards.

I've decided to include Johnny Evans as I feel he's probably the best centre-back in the league at the moment, he's been imperious for Man United since last season. He's only played 19 games in the league this season, though.

Very good shout, it's funny that some people still consider him as some kind of Titus Bramble figure of derision, you instantly know they don't really watch much football when they say that.

GK: Lloris

LB: Baines
CB: Vertonghen
CB: A.Williams
RB: Rafael

CM: Carrick
CM: Fellaini

LF: Bale
CF: Suarez
RF: Mata

ST: Van Persie

PFA POTY: Bale
PFA YPOTY: Rafael

Very good shout, it's funny that some people still consider him as some kind of Titus Bramble figure of derision, you instantly know they don't really watch much football when they say that.
He's a very, very good defender. He's not especially quick, but his positioning, ball control, heading, passing, strength and awareness are all top notch. He scores a fair few goals for a defender as well - possibly the most underrated defender in the league IMO. I think him next to someone like Kompany would be the ideal centre-back partnership when you think about it - you have two intelligent players who aren't shy to playing the ball out from the back, both good positionally and great in the air as well.

He's a very, very good defender. He's not especially quick, but his positioning, ball control, heading, passing, strength and awareness are all top notch. He scores a fair few goals for a defender as well - possibly the most underrated defender in the league IMO. I think him next to someone like Kompany would be the ideal centre-back partnership when you think about it - you have two intelligent players who aren't shy to playing the ball out from the back, both good positionally and great in the air as well.

I like him too.

I think he's a great centre back and I agree with you. He'll be Man Utds centre half for years to come, probably partnered by Smalling too who I feel has good characteristics to flourish next to Evans as I feel they would compliment each other well.

That's one thing I like about SAF. He likes to bring his youngsters through and almost certainly they all start off getting flack. I remember when Fletcher was hated by Man Utd fans and Evans too, but now they love Fletcher, a solid player in the team who is reliable, same with Evans now they all love him. They stick with these players because they know the club inside and out and they are drilled at a very young age about the winning mentality and Man Utd style of play.

Then he will win the Young Player of the Year.

someone like Suarez, RVP or Michu will probably end up with Player of the Year.

He won't. Bale will win the main award and the kiddy award will go to Benteke or someone.

I like him too.

I think he's a great centre back and I agree with you. He'll be Man Utds centre half for years to come, probably partnered by Smalling too who I feel has good characteristics to flourish next to Evans as I feel they would compliment each other well.

That's one thing I like about SAF. He likes to bring his youngsters through and almost certainly they all start off getting flack. I remember when Fletcher was hated by Man Utd fans and Evans too, but now they love Fletcher, a solid player in the team who is reliable, same with Evans now they all love him. They stick with these players because they know the club inside and out and they are drilled at a very young age about the winning mentality and Man Utd style of play.
Smalling is a strange one - he doesn't always convince me but it looks like he has everything necessary to become a top centre-back. I think a few more seasons flirting with the first team and he will become a starter for them when Ferdinand or Vidic move on (what a great pair to learn off). Obviously having a good first XI for these players enables the young ones to learn from the best, not just the coaches.

This is what our club has been lacking for years - young players making the step up into the first team. But under Redknapp these players started to come through, and hopefully under AvB's tutelage they will be part of our squad plans for a long time. I definitely think it's important to have British players that know what the club is about, and have experienced the good and bad times with the club in order to help others integrate. You look at players like Caulker, Carroll, Naughton, Walker, Bale and you can see that they are all talented and try to play positive, attacking football.

He won't. Bale will win the main award and the kiddy award will go to Benteke or someone.

It deserves to go to Nastacic but it won't.

I remember when they had Ronaldo win both in 07. Bale probably COULD win both but he won't.

Still, if you went two years back no one in their right mind would have thought he'd be a candidate for team of the year! He's improved massively over the last 2 seasons.

It deserves to go to Nastacic but it won't.

I remember when they had Ronaldo win both in 07. Bale probably COULD win both but he won't.

Yeah, I don't think they want double winners anymore, I think that's the right way to go really. Nastasic is a good shout, I wouldn't be surprised if Kompany makes it into team of the year, players are lazy and Kompany is just the "I can't think of anyone else" default pick, even though he's had an average season.

Little runt Wheelchair will probably be in there as well, even though he's only played about 15 games and has done nothing.

Hazard must be in with a shout too.

Still, if you went two years back no one in their right mind would have thought he'd be a candidate for team of the year! He's improved massively over the last 2 seasons.

And the moral is not to write off young players too quick, or even not-so-young players that come from a different league. The vitriol on this forum aimed at players like Kane and Livermore staggers me. It takes time to acclimatise to the PL and players who walk into a team and perform at a high level, say Verts for example, are the exception rather than the rule.

Bale to win both awards.

Very hard year to pick player of the year. We would not be 3rd or even close without Bale. Suarez has been the most consistent over the course of the season, without the same spectacular heroics that Bale has produced. Anyone know how many points Suarez's goals have produced for Liverpool? And then you have Van Persie. Man United would probably be at least 6 points behind Emirates Marketing Project if not for him. But I can't see enough players voting for Suarez because of his character so I think's it's a two horse race between Bale and Van Persie.

Back