• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham vs. Inter Milan

GHod, he almost looks skinny in comparison to today's Bale there.

What a night that was, what a performance. The pace of the guy and the accuracy of the crossing, time and again.

GHod, he almost looks skinny in comparison to today's Bale there.

What a night that was, what a performance. The pace of the guy and the accuracy of the crossing, time and again.

I was lucky to be there - after 30 mins I couldnt handle it but at the end of the game - it felt like a win. I mean we did win the second half 3-0 and saw one of the great hattricks in CL history I think.

AVB said a while back that he is able to use a strong side in the EL because he has trained the players to cope with playing two games in a week.

Also, why on earth would we rest Bale??? I remember early in AVBs reign a report came out on Bale, basically saying that physically, he is a fudging freak. And that he could play two 90 minute games BACK TO BACK. What sort of signals would it send out to Inter if we rested him??

-----------------Friedel-----------------
Walker---Gallas------Caulker---Naughton
----------Livermore---Holtby-------------
---Lennon------Bale------------Siggy-----
-----------------Defoe----------------------

If Mousa is out.

It's a difficult choice about who to play on Thursday. Sure, you want to honour the spirit of the competition by playing your best 11 at home. And Spurs might drive their UEFA co-efficient up to a useful level with a few more wins. But big picture thinking has to be factored in, starting with a desire to build on the momentum of recent league games at Anfield this weekend.

A win would be huge, a big hurdle cleared. A draw wouldn't be bad either.

While winning the Europa League tie would be nice, it's hard to say whether it's worth shooting our bolt for. It's hard to say if the co-efficient could be raised enough to make a difference in CL seeding. We're ranked 28th on UEFA's list, clearly still in the third pot of a group stage draw. Of the 27 teams above us, nine won't make it or are in danger of not qualifying for next year's CL. With some - Inter, Valencia, Marseille, Dynamo Kiev - it's very close, one to three points from a qualifying position. If we're lucky, six of that nine would miss out. That would effectively take us to 22nd. Beat Inter, and we'd rise two more places. After that, impossible to forecast.

The next three clubs - Juve, PSG and Zenit - are still alive and theoretically could match our rise. We'd need to win two games with Inter then at least two more in the next round - 2 ranking pts. per win - to climb above ManCity. That would drop us into the second pot. Then we'd need to see how Juve, PSG and Zenit do because by matching us, we'd be back into the third.

How many resources would Spurs have to commit to win the Europa League or enough games to sit in the second pot? And would that put our CL qualification in jeopardy if top players got burned out or injured and hampered our league run in? A very tough decision to make.

Seven points above fifth with 10 to play is a hell of a drug.

I like the ideas of running the back four with Caulker, Naughton and Gallas getting prime time, a midfield with plenty of Holtby, Carroll, Livermore, Dempsey and Ade or even Obika up front. If nothing else, it gives them valuable playing time in the event that there are injuries to starters in league play.

We should also be aware that Inter are in a tough battle for the third and final Italian CL placing. They're two back of AC Milan, but other clubs are in the hunt, too. They also have to be conscious of their players health like we do. They've relied very heavily on a smaller group of starters than we are. We might well see them rest some key bodies as the two games they play in SerieA after playing us are home to Bologna this week, away to Sampdoria the week after. The ninth and 10 place teams, beatable, but not games they want to drop points from.

Last edited:
-----------------Friedel-----------------
Walker---Gallas------Caulker---Naughton
----------Livermore---Holtby-------------
---Lennon------Bale------------Siggy-----
-----------------Defoe----------------------

If Mousa is out.

i wouldn't mind seeing Carroll in the center alongside Livermore after their cameo together against West Ham - although Holtby would be the stronger choice i guess - gonna need a decent result to take to the San Siro.

also adding a good win against Inter to the run of results we have had lately (Lyon, West Ham, Arsenal) could put us in fantastic spirits for the trip to Liverpool

Last edited:
I dont know how we will play the next few games as I do not think a) our squad is strong enough and b) our players will be able to survive fitness wise all those games. Something has to give even if it is mentally or physically not neccessarily players being dropped etc.

Our injuries are also mounting up which is a bit of a concern.

I'm starting to feel that AVB has certainly used the squad and by doing so has ensured that the players have all remained sharp. Europa League has helped in this respect. I don't feel by playing Caulker, Gallas or Naughton, we are weakening the side but it keeps them all fresh. Lennon and Bale are undroppable for me and Dembele.

The fact he's played Siggy in one of our most important games of the year means no one knows AVBs favoured AM, Holtby, Sig or Clint. Ade and Defoe are two good options. We need to look at players who can fill in when Bale (not possible) or Lennon are out/need a rest

It's a difficult choice about who to play on Thursday. Sure, you want to honour the spirit of the competition by playing your best 11 at home. And Spurs might drive their UEFA co-efficient up to a useful level with a few more wins. But big picture thinking has to be factored in, starting with a desire to build on the momentum of recent league games at Anfield this weekend.

A win would be huge, a big hurdle cleared. A draw wouldn't be bad either.

While winning the Europa League tie would be nice, it's hard to say whether it's worth shooting our bolt for. It's hard to say if the co-efficient could be raised enough to make a difference in CL seeding. We're ranked 28th on UEFA's list, clearly still in the third pot of a group stage draw. Of the 27 teams above us, nine won't make it or are in danger of not qualifying for next year's CL. With some - Inter, Valencia, Marseille, Dynamo Kiev - it's very close, one to three points from a qualifying position. If we're lucky, six of that nine would miss out. That would effectively take us to 22nd. Beat Inter, and we'd rise two more places. After that, impossible to forecast.

The next three clubs - Juve, PSG and Zenit - are still alive and theoretically could match our rise. We'd need to win two games with Inter then at least two more in the next round - 2 ranking pts. per win - to climb above ManCity. That would drop us into the second pot. Then we'd need to see how Juve, PSG and Zenit do because by matching us, we'd be back into the third.

How many resources would Spurs have to commit to win the Europa League or enough games to sit in the second pot? And would that put our CL qualification in jeopardy if top players got burned out or injured and hampered our league run in? A very tough decision to make.

Seven points above fifth with 10 to play is a hell of a drug.

I like the ideas of running the back four with Caulker, Naughton and Gallas getting prime time, a midfield with plenty of Holtby, Carroll, Livermore, Dempsey and Ade or even Obika up front. If nothing else, it gives them valuable playing time in the event that there are injuries to starters in league play.

We should also be aware that Inter are in a tough battle for the third and final Italian CL placing. They're two back of AC Milan, but other clubs are in the hunt, too. They also have to be conscious of their players health like we do. They've relied very heavily on a smaller group of starters than we are. We might well see them rest some key bodies as the two games they play in SerieA after playing us are home to Bologna this week, away to Sampdoria the week after. The ninth and 10 place teams, beatable, but not games they want to drop points from.

Excellent analysis. On the whole, we have ten games to play, pus two guaranteed EL ties, the first of which is this Thursday, making twelve in total. To win the EL, we would have to play five more games (2 quarter-finals, two semi-finals and the final). 17 games in two and a half months is a big ask.

However, I've always maintained that the 70 point mark would guarantee us CL football, unless both Arsenal and Chelsea go on miracle runs or Arsenal/Chelsea win the CL AND finish fifth. Both are unlikely in the extreme, so 70 points is the magic number, because much like 40 points guarantees you PL safety, a team garnering 70 points or more has never failed to gain CL football since the introduction of a 38-game season. Now, to reach 70 points from our current tally of 54, we will need five wins and a draw from our last ten games, i.e 16 points.

Liverpool (a)

Fulham (h)

Swansea (a)

Everton (h)

Chelsea (a)

City (h)

Wigan (a)

Southampton (h)

Stoke (a)

Sunderland (h)

Those are our remaining fixtures. Now, if we continue to garner points at the rate we have all season (roughly 1.9 points per game) that would put us at 73 points for the season. We can afford a slight dip in form, then, and an undue loss would not harm our aspirations. I feel fairly confident in predicting wins against Fulham, Southampton, Sunderland and Wigan, which gives us twelve points. Four more, then, will do for us, meaning we'll have to pick up four points from Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Everton and Swansea, which seems eminently doable.

The point being, I guess, that continued EL participation wouldn't harm our chances as much as it would have if we'd lost against Arsenal. We've passed a major hurdle, and there's no reason to think we can't compete on two fronts. Tired or not, our squad should be good enough to gain maximum points from Wigan, Southampton, Sunderland and Fulham, and should have enough to gain four points from the other five games. We can continue to put out relatively strong squads for the EL, then, without affecting these predictions.

-----------------Friedel-------------------

Naughton---Gallas--------Caulker----BAE

-----------Parker-------Holtby-------------

Lennon------------Bale----------------Sig

------------------Ade----------------------

Subs; Lloris, Dawson, Walker, Livermore, Dembele, Carroll, Defoe

Should do the job, and should be the team we look to employ.

edit; and as for fatigue, you've got to remember that Holtby's had a winter break with Schalke, Parker's only played about a quarter of a season so far (given Sandro's early season form and his own injury troubles), Ade had an impromptu two-week break with Togo before and after the Afcon, Defoe's been out for a month with injury, BAE's only just returned from a long one, Daws only started playing regularly from late-December onwards, Naughton, Caulker, and Sig have been in and out of the side, Livermore's barely played and Lloris has been regularly rotated with Friedel. All of the lads above have had significant rest/bench periods during the course of this season, so fatigue shouldn't really be a problem. We've also got a new fitness coach who no doubt has trained the lads better than our previous one did, judging by the absence of pulled hamstrings and training injuries.

Fatigue-wise, the only ones I've got concerns over are Bale, Lennon, Walker and Vertonghen, and even they've had limited periods of rest this season, albeit still not enough to justify playing them into the ground as May approaches.

Last edited:
Inter's away form is terrible

LRpxjvP.jpg

Excellent analysis. On the whole, we have ten games to play, pus two guaranteed EL ties, the first of which is this Thursday, making twelve in total. To win the EL, we would have to play five more games (2 quarter-finals, two semi-finals and the final). 17 games in two and a half months is a big ask.

However, I've always maintained that the 70 point mark would guarantee us CL football, unless both Arsenal and Chelsea go on miracle runs or Arsenal/Chelsea win the CL AND finish fifth. Both are unlikely in the extreme, so 70 points is the magic number, because much like 40 points guarantees you PL safety, a team garnering 70 points or more has never failed to gain CL football since the introduction of a 38-game season. Now, to reach 70 points from our current tally of 54, we will need five wins and a draw from our last ten games, i.e 16 points.

Liverpool (a)

Fulham (h)

Swansea (a)

Everton (h)

Chelsea (a)

City (h)

Wigan (a)

Southampton (h)

Stoke (a)

Sunderland (h)

Those are our remaining fixtures. Now, if we continue to garner points at the rate we have all season (roughly 1.9 points per game) that would put us at 73 points for the season. We can afford a slight dip in form, then, and an undue loss would not harm our aspirations. I feel fairly confident in predicting wins against Fulham, Southampton, Sunderland and Wigan, which gives us twelve points. Four more, then, will do for us, meaning we'll have to pick up four points from Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Everton and Swansea, which seems eminently doable.

The point being, I guess, that continued EL participation wouldn't harm our chances as much as it would have if we'd lost against Arsenal. We've passed a major hurdle, and there's no reason to think we can't compete on two fronts. Tired or not, our squad should be good enough to gain maximum points from Wigan, Southampton, Sunderland and Fulham, and should have enough to gain four points from the other five games. We can continue to put out relatively strong squads for the EL, then, without affecting these predictions.

-----------------Friedel-------------------

Naughton---Gallas--------Caulker----BAE

-----------Parker-------Holtby-------------

Lennon------------Bale----------------Sig

------------------Ade----------------------

Subs; Lloris, Dawson, Walker, Livermore, Dembele, Carroll, Defoe

Should do the job, and should be the team we look to employ.

edit; and as for fatigue, you've got to remember that Holtby's had a winter break with Schalke, Parker's only played about a quarter of a season so far (given Sandro's early season form and his own injury troubles), Ade had an impromptu two-week break with Togo before and after the Afcon, Defoe's been out for a month with injury, BAE's only just returned from a long one, Daws only started playing regularly from late-December onwards, Naughton, Caulker, and Sig have been in and out of the side, Livermore's barely played and Lloris has been regularly rotated with Friedel. All of the lads above have had significant rest/bench periods during the course of this season, so fatigue shouldn't really be a problem. We've also got a new fitness coach who no doubt has trained the lads better than our previous one did, judging by the absence of pulled hamstrings and training injuries.

Fatigue-wise, the only ones I've got concerns over are Bale, Lennon, Walker and Vertonghen, and even they've had limited periods of rest this season, albeit still not enough to justify playing them into the ground as May approaches.

Really good post.

Who knows what the right call is regarding rotation i mentioned earlier that i think bale needs a rest but then not starting him gives to much of a boost to Inter. I get both coins of the argument.

I think AVB will rotate the defence I do not expect Verts to start. I dont know it just three huge games in a week has got to take its toll on the players. I get the point about bale the machine but wasn't he saying in a recent post match interview - pos Lyon that the team was tired......correct me if im wrong.

We are spurs and should do things the spurs way yet if Sir Alex had to plan for arse inter & liverpool in the space of a week then i think its safe to assume there would be alot of rotation. I like the way they phase out old players - blood youngsters.

My point is that I dont think a draw would be fatal we have liverpool coming up.......and if we played cm of either holtby livermore or Carrol then dembele gets a rest - parker is over 30 and needs to be managed better than playing 3 times a week.

I would love to see Carrol & livermore tested like this to see if we have a future with them..

and if we needed to we could bring back the big guns for the 2nd leg.....

jeez apologies for the ramblings what the heck do I know of our players fitness......big games keep coming....enjoy

AVB said a while back that he is able to use a strong side in the EL because he has trained the players to cope with playing two games in a week.

Also, why on earth would we rest Bale??? I remember early in AVBs reign a report came out on Bale, basically saying that physically, he is a fudging freak. And that he could play two 90 minute games BACK TO BACK. What sort of signals would it send out to Inter if we rested him??

It's not about what his body can handle physically, but whether he can be 100% focused mentally for every single game. Everyone can do with the occasional break.

Really good post.

Who knows what the right call is regarding rotation i mentioned earlier that i think bale needs a rest but then not starting him gives to much of a boost to Inter. I get both coins of the argument.

I think AVB will rotate the defence I do not expect Verts to start. I dont know it just three huge games in a week has got to take its toll on the players. I get the point about bale the machine but wasn't he saying in a recent post match interview - pos Lyon that the team was tired......correct me if im wrong.

We are spurs and should do things the spurs way yet if Sir Alex had to plan for arse inter & liverpool in the space of a week then i think its safe to assume there would be alot of rotation. I like the way they phase out old players - blood youngsters.

My point is that I dont think a draw would be fatal we have liverpool coming up.......and if we played cm of either holtby livermore or Carrol then dembele gets a rest - parker is over 30 and needs to be managed better than playing 3 times a week.

I would love to see Carrol & livermore tested like this to see if we have a future with them..

and if we needed to we could bring back the big guns for the 2nd leg.....

jeez apologies for the ramblings what the heck do I know of our players fitness......big games keep coming....enjoy

I agree with you regarding Bale; he definitely deserves a bit of a rest. However, keeping his momentum going will probably be motivating for him, and facing the side he tormented so easily in the CL two years ago will also add to that motivation. So it's safe to say he'll be up for this game and deserves to play.

You also make a great point regarding Ferguson, he is the master of rotation. However, one of the ways United ensure that is by building a commanding lead in the first legs of European ties (or the first half of group-stage fixtures) using their best players, so they can then play their second eleven in the second half of the tie/second half of the group.

We should be looking to do the same, imo. Take a commanding lead at WHL, and don't let them score. Then, play a strong defence at the San Siro and defend our lead, relying on quick counters to kill the tie off.

If Bale and co. manage to pull off a good result in the first leg, there's no reason we can't rest them and play the first-team defenders in Italy. Naughton-Gallas-Caulker-BAE in the first leg to hold the fort while Bale, Lennon and co. hopefully score a couple, and Daws, Verts and co. to protect our lead at the San Siro while Bale and Lennon stretch their legs on the bench, ready to come on if things look grimmer than expected.

I started with that we have to rest players for this game, but I think Its not that easy.

I think alot of the players are realy hoping to play against Inter, and are up for the task.

And the only players I think have played alot is Bale and Dembele. And they have the engine to do that.
So I think we can play with a good team against Inter.

So my team is:

---------Lloris-----------
Walker-Gallas-Daws-BAE
---Livermore-Parker----
Lennon---Siggy-----Holtby
----------Defoe--------

Bale as super sub, and friedel will play away game against Inter.

i think keep the momentum and play our strongest 11 against inter, players don't get tired when they are winning

I think Holtby, Siggy and Defoe can play well together, only problem is that they need a strong "tall" player to take the ball down and make room for em...

It's funny how Lennon never gets considered when people are deciding who needs a rest? I think it's been that way for years now hasn't it..
People always suggest resting Bale or the centre-mids but never Lennon?

Is it because we've never had decent cover for him?

I think we have to ret a few either from the start or after 60 mins if we're comfortable:

......................Lloris
Naugton...Caulker...Dawson....Ekotto
...............Holtby....Parker
......Lennon......Bale......Siggy
.....................Defoe

If things going well I would definitely sub Parker, Bale and Lennon as early as possible.

Its funny how we all take a different view on the importance of different comps.
I am old enough to well remember FA Cup and UEFA cup wins and have just become obsessed with finishing in the top four and getting some CL football next season.
Sounds odd but i wouldn't lose any sleep if we fielded a second string team against Inter and went out on Thursday if it meant we had a stronger team to play in-form Liverpool at the weekend.

I accept that there is a lot to be said for the confidence that a good win on Thursday would give us, but think of the flip side - injuries to key players, only having two days to prepare for Liverpool who will have had eight days to concentrate solely on our visit. If it was Southampton at home I'd be less bothered, but a visit to Liverpool will be a tough game in which we will have to chase the ball a lot.

Back