• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Michael Dawson

Re: Dawson

just watching the highlights for the first time, look at Dawson when we concede. You can tell he's absolutely furious, it's obvious how very much he cares.

=D> for sticking around and fighting for your place, looks like a great choice in hindsight

[video=youtube;6WN2Ls5Woy8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WN2Ls5Woy8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

classy interview...

I'm so glad he stayed, and am now delighted that he looks set to finish his career here, if the new contract rumors are true. When AVB made it clear he would be allowed to leave, I was disappointed. I understood that he wasn't the type of defender to play the high line AVB would introduce, but was disappointed nonetheless. His Spurs career looked over, and when you thought about how much he obviously cared about the club, and how much he'd given us over the years, it was hard not to feel a little upset about it.

The way that situation has changed.... is a microcosm of the way AVB's changed this club. He refused to leave. He hit the gym, and slimmed down. He worked his gonad*s off in training, and caught AVB's eye. And when the time came, he took his chance.

Now, he looks slimmest he's been for a long while, he looks motivated, he looks happy. His manager respects him, and he respects his manager. He's our club captain, and proud of it. And he's part of the second-meanest defence in the league, if memory serves me right.

He could have sulked, gone to QPR, and become their lion-hearted 'full-English' centre-back, all thundering tackles and towering headers. Like he's used to. Instead, he changed his playing style, changed his training regimen, slimmed down, and adapted to the new style of play Andre's introduced. He chose the more difficult route. And Andre noticed, and rewarded him accordingly.

That's a meritocracy. That's how it's supposed to work. Thus, that's become a snapshot of the way AVB runs this club. And that's the difference between AVB's Tottenham and AVB's Chelsea. No prima-donnas, no terrible Terry, no fat, sulking Frank....just a good, young bunch of players who believe in their manager and a manager who consequently believes in his players.

Happiness, loyalty, dedication and trust, personified by Michael Dawson, the man who looked set to become one of the most gut-wrenching victims of AVB's 'revolution'.

^^ I absolutely agree, I love Daws and I think that as our captain he personifies the difference between us and Chelsea. He may not have Terry's wages or indeed career success but AVB must have been so impressed (not to mention relieved :lol:) by the contrast in character; it's not at all surprising that in interviews AVB has particularly heaped praise on the workrate and attitude aspect of our players (Lennon, Parker, now Bale with his hard work in training).

In fact, I heard that QPR offered to double Dawson's wages! :eek: In the era of 'well it's understandable - they're professionals, not football fans', Dawson must be some sort of saint :lol: I don't think he's the greatest defender of all time but having him at our club has really helped provide the sort of irrational but proud emotional connection that I struggled to develop with the likes of Modric or Berba and I'd be happy to see him finish his career with us and become a club ambassador.

I do think that he's always been quite skinny though - he's a gangly type by nature, and his slowness is down to his ectomorphic build more than the presence of a few extra pounds. However I do notice that his hoofing has tempered this season, and he's actually played a number of incisive forward passes. My assumption is that opposition teams are pressing our ball-playing defenders like Vertonghen more, while allowing Dawson relatively more time on the ball. That he has risen to the occasion - and been given the chance to do so by the manager - speaks well of both him and AVB.

I'm so glad he stayed, and am now delighted that he looks set to finish his career here, if the new contract rumors are true. When AVB made it clear he would be allowed to leave, I was disappointed. I understood that he wasn't the type of defender to play the high line AVB would introduce, but was disappointed nonetheless. His Spurs career looked over, and when you thought about how much he obviously cared about the club, and how much he'd given us over the years, it was hard not to feel a little upset about it.

The way that situation has changed.... is a microcosm of the way AVB's changed this club. He refused to leave. He hit the gym, and slimmed down. He worked his gonad*s off in training, and caught AVB's eye. And when the time came, he took his chance.

Now, he looks slimmest he's been for a long while, he looks motivated, he looks happy. His manager respects him, and he respects his manager. He's our club captain, and proud of it. And he's part of the second-meanest defence in the league, if memory serves me right.

He could have sulked, gone to QPR, and become their lion-hearted 'full-English' centre-back, all thundering tackles and towering headers. Like he's used to. Instead, he changed his playing style, changed his training regimen, slimmed down, and adapted to the new style of play Andre's introduced. He chose the more difficult route. And Andre noticed, and rewarded him accordingly.

That's a meritocracy. That's how it's supposed to work. Thus, that's become a snapshot of the way AVB runs this club. And that's the difference between AVB's Tottenham and AVB's Chelsea. No prima-donnas, no terrible Terry, no fat, sulking Frank....just a good, young bunch of players who believe in their manager and a manager who consequently believes in his players.

Happiness, loyalty, dedication and trust, personified by Michael Dawson, the man who looked set to become one of the most gut-wrenching victims of AVB's 'revolution'.

Wow....just shed a tear while reading this. Excellent post.

Yeah, it's not like he's spent most of his career playing next to Ledley King :D

Maybe it's no coincidence he's played better when next to a top class CB? He seems to struggle a bit with his own game when he has to organize the back 4 and keep an eye on everyone else.

Hi Dubai,
Excellent post mate. Agree 100%. Couldn't have put it better. COYS

^^ I absolutely agree, I love Daws and I think that as our captain he personifies the difference between us and Chelsea. He may not have Terry's wages or indeed career success but AVB must have been so impressed (not to mention relieved :lol:) by the contrast in character; it's not at all surprising that in interviews AVB has particularly heaped praise on the workrate and attitude aspect of our players (Lennon, Parker, now Bale with his hard work in training).

In fact, I heard that QPR offered to double Dawson's wages! :eek: In the era of 'well it's understandable - they're professionals, not football fans', Dawson must be some sort of saint :lol: I don't think he's the greatest defender of all time but having him at our club has really helped provide the sort of irrational but proud emotional connection that I struggled to develop with the likes of Modric or Berba and I'd be happy to see him finish his career with us and become a club ambassador.

I do think that he's always been quite skinny though - he's a gangly type by nature, and his slowness is down to his ectomorphic build more than the presence of a few extra pounds. However I do notice that his hoofing has tempered this season, and he's actually played a number of incisive forward passes. My assumption is that opposition teams are pressing our ball-playing defenders like Vertonghen more, while allowing Dawson relatively more time on the ball. That he has risen to the occasion - and been given the chance to do so by the manager - speaks well of both him and AVB.

Hi Sky,
Another GREAT post. I do like your analysis and constructive input. Please keep it up. COYS

There may well be a meritocracy but because AVB is doing so well now it is easy to airbrush everything with a positive tint. Lets make no bones of it the sale of Dawson in the summer could have been a huge mistake and was baffling considering he was made captain. To the great credit of AVB he has admitted his mistake and I respect that immensely.

[video=youtube;6WN2Ls5Woy8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WN2Ls5Woy8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

classy interview...

I can't believe Dawson had the cheek to say that we didn't keep the ball like we can.

Does he not realise Steff is monitoring this thread?

You are not allowed to question AVB's tactics, does Dawson not realise that AVB is well aware we don't have passers and changed our gameplan accordingly to play fast incisive through balls and not try to keep possession?

For GHod's sake Daws, you better apologise or you will really, really regret making that comment mate.

There may well be a meritocracy but because AVB is doing so well now it is easy to airbrush everything with a positive tint. Lets make no bones of it the sale of Dawson in the summer could have been a huge mistake and was baffling considering he was made captain. To the great credit of AVB he has admitted his mistake and I respect that immensely.

Agreed that it would've been a great mistake in hindsight, but at the time Daws was not the player he is now and 10 million was a lot of money.

I think the player has proven to the manager WHY he was elected club captain, captain and UA point person/leading player 'face'...his dedication to not only stay but work on aspects of his game necessary to play his way into the manager's side, has been brilliant. He has certainly surprised me in that respect I don't mind saying. Again, what a leader he has turned out to be, and here's to hoping he remains our leader for years to come...

Agreed that it would've been a great mistake in hindsight, but at the time Daws was not the player he is now and 10 million was a lot of money.

I think the player has proven to the manager WHY he was elected club captain, captain and UA point person/leading player 'face'...his dedication to not only stay but work on aspects of his game necessary to play his way into the manager's side, has been brilliant. He has certainly surprised me in that respect I don't mind saying. Again, what a leader he has turned out to be, and here's to hoping he remains our leader for years to come...

amazing

What's amazing?

The way in which he decided to knuckle down and take on the challenge of new requirements from our CBs, including playing a higher line and learning to pass better? You are correct Sir! I agree! Daws is amazing, and I am so glad it has all worked out. Again, he showed more character, courage and fortitude than anyone could've imagined...

Someone on another Forum asked me what Tottenham's record is this season when Dawson & Dembele have both played...

P0198_zps7e599f25.png

...turns-out that it isn't too shabby!

What's amazing?

The way in which he decided to knuckle down and take on the challenge of new requirements from our CBs, including playing a higher line and learning to pass better? You are correct Sir! I agree! Daws is amazing, and I am so glad it has all worked out. Again, he showed more character, courage and fortitude than anyone could've imagined...
Okay I'll spell it out for African. What's amazing mate is how much you short-changed a player who's shown such heart and leadership season after season in the past.

Shame on you.

I can't believe Dawson had the cheek to say that we didn't keep the ball like we can.

Does he not realise Steff is monitoring this thread?

You are not allowed to question AVB's tactics, does Dawson not realise that AVB is well aware we don't have passers and changed our gameplan accordingly to play fast incisive through balls and not try to keep possession?

For GHod's sake Daws, you better apologise or you will really, really regret making that comment mate.

I found it funny - they both highlighted exactly what myself and a few others on here highlighted but we get lambasted as moaners - clearly not the case.

Not picking on you steff baby ;) haha grrrrr. There is just stating the obvious regardless of winning such as what Daws and Vert said in their post match interviews.

I think there's a difference between highlighting something we didn't do well in a single match compared to raising the same criticisms after every single one when we all know that it's not something easily rectified, we might need different players. Maybe the way we play is a deliberate tactic to circumvent the missing pieces from the puzzle?

I'll say it again, a lot of criticism comes from us not playing the way some want to see. Personally I couldn't care less about that. At this moment in time results are what matter. We aren't gung-ho, 100 mph straight from the kick off, but we are nowhere near boring. We try and keep the ball when possible, but we let the other side do a lot of running to tire them out. We aren't great at working our way through a settled defence, but we still have more than enough chances to get the necessary goals in most matches. There has in fact been far less of 'those days' this season. We might not be as entertaining, but I'd rather that than languish in mid table. It's one of those things where AVB can't win. It is virtually impossible to be super entertaining, yet consistently pick up points.

We've become a lot more solid defensively, not just compared to last season, but compared to the start of this one. It's not that long since some still talked about us having a habit of conceding late, something we haven't done since the Everton match in early December. It feels like some are just looking for negatives and refuse to let the idea go once they find something. It's the same with the individual players. Every ratings thread you see the same criticisms, It's like they were written BEFORE the match. Similarly in the other direction, some players always get praise and are almost considered untouchable. Not to the degree it was a few years ago, but it's still there.

As this is the Dawson thread I'll use him as an example. For many years you could not say anything negative about him without risking a lynch mob at your door. I have always been critical of him and he still has the same flaws as he did back then. Ball watching, poor marking, hoofing. We all know this, though some refuse to acknowledge it or simply uses terms like 'heart' or 'passion' to dismiss anyone raising these points. He has improved though over the years and this season as well. Again it feels like you're not allowed to say that it's down to tactics or the other players around him. It's purely down to him. Gallas on the other hand gets nothing but grief, yet he was still part of the team when we stopped conceding late and started keeping clean sheets.

Back