• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

shirt pulling, obstruction by the goal line, time wasting, standing offside, tactical fouls

these are all cheating as well, and we do them all every game yet no one ever seems to complain
The ref has to make a judgement between blowing his whistle every two minutes an keeping the game flowing. However, cheats know they are taking a risk; sooner or later they are going to get penalised.

Matt Le Tissier said something interesting and more importantly true on Soccer Saturday last week. He said the goal against Norwich when someone tried to kick Bale at the halfway line just before he scored kind of put an end to the myth that you have to go down when contacted by another player at speed. He has no axe to grind by the way, he is a Spurs fan and usually defends Bale.

Hi JTG, I don't see the relevance, the player tried to kick him but miss, IIRC. Had he connected I'm sure Bale would have gone down. It seems Le Tiss is completely missing the point here.

AVB reckoned that had the player connected he would have done serious damage to Bale, so I have to think what the hell is Le T going on about?

Incidentally Tettey spent all game kicking or trying to kick our players, should have had a red card, didn't even get a yellow. Bale got a yellow for being fouled in the area v Sunderland. Completely stupid scale of values and as I say indicative of the brutality culture in our game and appalling reffing.

Because it's cheating, plain and simple. He is trying to win an advantage by in effect acting, deceiving the ref. Two wrongs don't make a right.

"...because he got fouled..."

Do you think that to qualify as a foul the player must be brought to the ground without going down easily on his own?

Not really trying to deceive the ref.

shirt pulling, obstruction by the goal line, time wasting, standing offside, tactical fouls

these are all cheating as well, and we do them all every game yet no one ever seems to complain

You are right, those examples you gave all count as cheating. But the difference is you are trying to get an opponent in trouble with a booking or worse by diving, but in the other examples you are trying to gain an advantage to help your team without getting an opponent in trouble.

Perhaps its just me but I think far too many players go down too easy and it shows a lack of fight and determination.
I use to play mainly on the wing and occasionally as striker, I was small and quick a bit like Azza :) and I would get hacked at, barged, tripped etc but I would always try to keep going. Even if I was hacked down I would get up and keep running unless the ref interveened. Bloody modern day overpaid pansies :x

SOMEONE has to give us width.

Chill. I got this.

Benoit-Assou-Ekotto-006.jpg

Kicking someone is cheating, fouling them so badly they get injured is not only cheating it's criminal assault or the football equivalent.

To me anyone who doesn't back Bale over this matter is wrong, simple as. No fudging, no grey areas, it's like the old Hoddle and Ginola debates, you either support class and skill like they had or you support fouling and cheating.

As I've said many a time the lack of support Bale has received from some spurs fans makes me wsih he'd leave the club and go where he'd be appreciated and get the fans' full support.

The point is, you shouldn't choose to go down, it shouldn't be a choice.

So, if fouled, but not with sufficient force to actually bring you to the ground you should always do your utmost to stay on your feet. Even if that directly means that you would be less likely to get the free kick you actually deserved because you were fouled?

In fairness, we are now heading deeper into territories we've been before regarding Bale and fouls/dives.

I know, I was part of the exchange, but it's been pretty civil all round this time.

Can I suggest we all agree to disagree and now move on from this specific area of conversation?

Again, got to say I think the overall tone and nature of discussion this time around has been way, way more civil. Very cool IMHO...

Kicking someone is cheating, fouling them so badly they get injured is not only cheating it's criminal assault or the football equivalent.

To me anyone who doesn't back Bale over this matter is wrong, simple as. No fudging, no grey areas, it's like the old Hoddle and Ginola debates, you either support class and skill like they had or you support fouling and cheating.

As I've said many a time the lack of support Bale has received from some spurs fans makes me wsih he'd leave the club and go where he'd be appreciated and get the fans' full support.

I support him when he gets kicked and the refs don't protect him.

I support him when he gets fouled and picks up a booking for diving.

But I refuse to ever support a Spurs player who goes to ground when there is no contact. I'm not saying I want him to get out of the club, but I won't back a player who does this. For me, the only scenario where it is acceptable is when he goes to ground in order to avoid a clattering.

And for the record, I see most people at WHL supporting him, rarely see any sustained abuse from sections of the crowd for diving. You get the odd fan telling him to get up, but that's about it. If he does leave Spurs, it will be because he wants to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world, not becuase Spurs fans don't have his back.

In fairness, we are now heading deeper into territories we've been before regarding Bale and fouls/dives.

I know, I was part of the exchange, but it's been pretty civil all round this time.

Can I suggest we all agree to disagree and now move on from this specific area of conversation?

Again, got to say I think the overall tone and nature of discussion this time around has been way, way more civil. Very cool IMHO...

Don't worry, it's all calm. I too have got into heated debates with posters about this topic, not anymore. I'll say my peace, but I'll respect everyone else's right to their opinion.

But I refuse to ever support a Spurs player who goes to ground when there is no contact. I'm not saying I want him to get out of the club, but I won't back a player who does this. For me, the only scenario where it is acceptable is when he goes to ground in order to avoid a clattering.

And for the record, I see most people at WHL supporting him, rarely see any sustained abuse from sections of the crowd for diving. You get the odd fan telling him to get up, but that's about it. If he does leave Spurs, it will be because he wants to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world, not becuase Spurs fans don't have his back.

Fair enough, you've made your views clear. There's an unbridgeable gap between us, you clearly don't give Bale unequivocal support. Now perhaps I can see why you brought up Le Tiss' woefully wrong analysis. As you say all is calm, you're entitled to your views, I just can't share them.

We will all miss him when he is gone. Even those that criticise him for diving.

So just get behind him while he is a Spurs player and appreciate all the fantastic qualities he brings with him.

I think this is why we have not won the league title for 52 years ! We just don't have the mentality to become champions. We are too soft and innocent in our play. How many times have ManU players dived and cheated over the years. But Ferguson or any of their coaching staff and players have never admitted their wrongdoing in public. Even the fans have never slammed their players for diving. They had such master divers like Ronaldo but have never get slammed by their own fans. We should have the win-at-all cost mentality like them. Otherwise, we will never win back the league title.

Last edited:

I think this is why we have not won the league title for 52 years ! We just don't have the mentality to become champions. We are too soft and innocent in our play. How many times have ManU players dived and cheated over the years. But Ferguson or any of their coaching staff and players have never admitted their wrongdoing in public. Even the fans have never slammed their players for diving. They had such master divers like Ronaldo but have never get slammed by their own fans. We should have the win-at-all cost mentality like them. Otherwise, we will never win back the league title.

What the fudge is the point of it all if the only way to win a trophy is by cheating? The day Spurs become that cynical is the day I stop following them.

#-o

An opinion on Arsemania that I had to share and LOL at;

squallkid (Forum Member) on Yesterday, 11:19 pm

I think you guys are really really over rating Bale.

It seems to me that Bale can score 13 goals and get labelled as the best winger in the Premier league while Walcott scores 18 goals and he still has his detractors.

Juan Mata has 16 goals

Hazard has 8 goals and 12 assists

Podolski has 12 goals and yet his place in our team has been questioned

Bale has 13

He's far from the best winger in the league in terms of productivity, that reward goes to Mata.

I think Bale is a one trick pony who is very very overrated and the second he moves to a bigger club he'll be found out Modric style.

When we finish ahead of Spurs it will be based on our merits and the quality of our own squad and in my view it will have **** all to do with how Bale performs. Last year they were 10 points ahead of us with Bale in the team and couldn't get the job done then and they won't get it done now.

One player does not make a team. The main difference between us and them is that they can only call on one over rated but very good winger whereas we can call on a number of people in our squad to win games for us (Walcott, Giroud, Podolski, Cazorla, Wheelchair and even Diaby).

One thing is certain we WILL finish ahead of Spurs, you can take that to the bank.

Theres no glory in cheating to win. Just imagine Stoke won the league, are you saying that our players should go around kicking the brick out of other players and pushing goalies over just to win the title?

Back