• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Philately Corner

Re: Spurs 2 - Arsenal 0: Royal Mail stamps of UK's top XI

I take it I can just walk into a post office and buy these ?

Love the fact that MacKay was in there - I never got to see him play but I imagine he was like a Scottish Sandro!

He was much better than Sandro. He was our greatest-ever player. He had all that Sandro offers, plus brilliant skill and technique, a rasping shot and great leadership qualities.

Well pleased that both Greavesie and Mackay are in this set.

Shame Glenn Hoddle was never appreciated in this country. For me the best player ever to wear the Lily white shirt.

Shame Glenn Hoddle was never appreciated in this country. For me the best player ever to wear the Lily white shirt.

Agree Hod was under-rated, though not by me. I loved him and supported him and his abilities time and again in many a pub and work debate, as well as on the terraces. An exceptional footballer, and the best home-grown player we've ever produced. It says it all about the mediocrity of English football culture that David O'Leary pipped him in an Evening Standard analysis of the best London footballer of the 1980s. David O'leary, you couldn't make it up, Hod was streets ahead of him.

But he wasn't quite at Mackay's level. Mackay was an uber-footballer, you couldn't bully him the way at times Glenn did get bullied. Of course they resorted to breaking Mackay's leg to stop him, I've never seen the tackle but Dave had no doubts that it was deliberate.

They both get in my Spurs XI though :)

Royal Mail also issued a stamp commemorating Danny Blanchflower back in 1996...

Football on GB Postage Stamps

So of the 15 players picked in the two player sets of stamps we have three:

United(5): Edwards, Charlton, Law, Best .... and Robson
Spurs(3): Blanchflower, Mackay, Greaves
Liverpool(2): Keegan .... and Barnes
West Ham (2): Bobby Moore (both sets plus a third stamp in 1999)
One each: Everton (Dean), Wolves (Wright), Stoke (Banks), Leeds (Charles),

England (10), Scotland (2), Northern Ireland (2), Wales (1)​

Most of the choices are legendary players, apart from Robson and Barnes. The omission of Dalglish is strange as surely he is better than the two teammates of his included. They could have left Moore out of the current set as he already had two.

P.S. You state set of ten stamps instead of eleven in your entry for the new set.

Just another reminder that Royal Mail's Footba11 Heroes stamp set and books will be available from Thursday 9th May....

P0253_zps75dce709.png

...the Prestige Stamp Book will come supplied in a foil wrapper, much like those football stickers we all avidly collected back in the day...

A2286_zps3547a158.jpg

...which poses a problem for the dedicated philatelist - do you keep the book in unopened mint condition or not?

I'll buy 2, one to keep in mint condition and the other to look at every so often and to show other people.

Well me for starters.

I have a very extensive GB stamp collection from 1840 to date, as well as British Mandate Palestine from 1917 to 1948 and Israel 1948 to date.

Back