• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

I was delighted with Ade's contribution last season and the best is yet to come from him this season. I like watching him play football. The attitude stuff is 100% Gale flimflam IMO.

Yet Togo got knocked out of the ANC on Sunday and he still managed not to turn up in time to start training this afternoon at 15:00.

He is making things difficult for himself with this behaviour. Ok, I don't know what has caused the delay, but he better have a very good reason for using five days to get from South Africa to London ahead of a very important game for his team when he is our only available striker. It is not acceptable, unless he indeed has this very good reason we don't know about. If he doesn't start the game tomorrow because of his late arrival and we drop points, or if he plays and performs poorly because of his lack of match preparation, I can't see that going down well with fans. Basically, if we don't win, fans could easily get on his back I think.

But perhaps he wants to leave to club and this is all part of his strategy.

The thing is we can never know the reason for a poor Ade performance if it happens. He could have come home still in his Togo kit and with his boots on and have a bad game. Of course the Ade-dislikers/haters will blame the delay if he plays badly.

Yet Togo got knocked out of the ANC on Sunday and he still managed not to turn up in time to start training this afternoon at 15:00.

I don't know the reason and neither do you, I assume?. Unless I hear to the contrary I will assume he had a valid reason. You are of course free to believe what you want.

why don't you want him here next season?

this 'incident' is literally the only problem he has caused us in a season and a half and we don't even have half a clue between us what has actually gone on/happened yet everyone is jumping at the bit to fudge the guy off.

Not true. He also criticised AVB just before he left for the ACN.

I don't know the reason and neither do you, I assume?. Unless I hear to the contrary I will assume he had a valid reason. You are of course free to believe what you want.

No, but I do know he had the audacity to claim he was exhausted last week. Well this is one way to get a break

The thing is we can never know the reason for a poor Ade performance if it happens. He could have come home still in his Togo kit and with his boots on and have a bad game. Of course the Ade-dislikers/haters will blame the delay if he plays badly.

They quite possibly will. And they will have every right to do so.

It doesn't matter whether or not a poor performance is attributable to poor form, to fatigue or to not having turned up to training. The point is that Ade is paid a phenomenal amount to play football for Spurs. He is paid such a phenomenal amount as a result of the money that the club earns from fans buying tickets, merchandise, sponsors' products and TV subscriptions. Fans generally earn in a year a fifth of what he earns in a week. So it's really not asking too much to expect him to complete a 12 hour journey in less than five days and show a little respect for those fans.

I sincerely hope that Ade is able to play tomorrow. I hope he plays a blinder. Hope he scores a hat trick. If he does, I will leap around and grin and whoop with the best of them. Sing his name. Cheer his every touch.

But it won't change the fact that he has let himself, the club and us down this week.

http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/spurs-Saudi Sportswashing Machine-key-stats,36559.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21311425

Both these organisations report Ade is back. Durham on talksport and SSN say he is back. The only issue now is his fitness.

Ade was injured and when he returned he had to learn to play with JD. He gradually got better and is currently in good form (scored in 2 recent games.)

I hope he and the Deuce are fit for tomorrow as I am looking forward to see them play together.

I bet Tony Gale would laugh his head off if he read some of the posts in this thread.

Mate, he has 2 goals in his last 9 games, one of those was in December, hardly recent is it? If you take away his goal against Reading, his last league goal was all the way back in November. I'm all for supporting a player, but I really can't figure out why you are going to such lengths to deny that he's had a poor season, even inventing some stats about him scoring 2 goals in "recent games.". Even the people that like him on this board are willing to admit that he's had a bad season.

They quite possibly will. And they will have every right to do so.

It doesn't matter whether or not a poor performance is attributable to poor form, to fatigue or to not having turned up to training. The point is that Ade is paid a phenomenal amount to play football for Spurs. He is paid such a phenomenal amount as a result of the money that the club earns from fans buying tickets, merchandise, sponsors' products and TV subscriptions. Fans generally earn in a year a fifth of what he earns in a week. So it's really not asking too much to expect him to complete a 12 hour journey in less than five days and show a little respect for those fans.

I sincerely hope that Ade is able to play tomorrow. I hope he plays a blinder. Hope he scores a hat trick. If he does, I will leap around and grin and whoop with the best of them. Sing his name. Cheer his every touch.

But it won't change the fact that he has let himself, the club and us down this week.

how is that a fact, for all we know he's had some family medical emergency, there are a 100 things that could have happened in his private life that render THFC completely irrelevant

lets not be judge and jury until the case has been heard

how is that a fact, for all we know he's had some family medical emergency, there are a 100 things that could have happened in his private life that render THFC completely irrelevant

lets not be judge and jury until the case has been heard

Okay. Fair enough.

But the likelihood of that is very remote. Far more likely that there's no such pressing reason. Not to mention that the timing for such an explanation would seem suspiciously coincidental - coming conveniently as it does, precisely after Togo have been knocked out of the ACN and just before Spurs are next due to play a game.

Mate, he has 2 goals in his last 9 games, one of those was in December, hardly recent is it? If you take away his goal against Reading, his last league goal was all the way back in November. I'm all for supporting a player, but I really can't figure out why you are going to such lengths to deny that he's had a poor season, even inventing some stats about him scoring 2 goals in "recent games.". Even the people that like him on this board are willing to admit that he's had a bad season.

You are not all for supporting a player, quite the reverse. But that is no big deal. His below average season is down to injuries and playing in a different way to last season.
The 2 goals he scored for us and Togo are not invented- they are real.
I am all for supporting our players. Right now is my happiest time as a supporter..there is not a single player who I am unhappy with. I would even welcome Bentley back into the squad despite being completely against his signing.
I have never rated Defoe but he is scoring or going close so that is OK, too.
We are 4th in the EPL, virtually unbeatable and with a great chance of getting 3rd.
My one teeny weeny complaint is that I am not enjoying our performances. I sincerely believe when Ade is the front man our performances will improve because as well as being a great goalscorer he is also a great footballer.
All that touch of a rapist stuff is pure flimflam.

You are not all for supporting a player, quite the reverse. But that is no big deal. His below average season is down to injuries and playing in a different way to last season.
The 2 goals he scored for us and Togo are not invented- they are real.
I am all for supporting our players. Right now is my happiest time as a supporter..there is not a single player who I am unhappy with. I would even welcome Bentley back into the squad despite being completely against his signing.
I have never rated Defoe but he is scoring or going close so that is OK, too.
We are 4th in the EPL, virtually unbeatable and with a great chance of getting 3rd.
My one teeny weeny complaint is that I am not enjoying our performances. I sincerely believe when Ade is the front man our performances will improve because as well as being a great goalscorer he is also a great footballer.

Ok, I'll rephrase it, I will always support a Spurs player If I believe they are giving 100% to the club, even if they are brick footballers. That means on matchdays, not criticising the manager and so on. It pains me to say it but I don't always see him giving 100%. I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Even before the ACN you were saying the same thing with regards to the highlighted part about how he was involved in a lot of the play, even though he's only got 2 league goals and hardly any assists.

Ok, we don't know the full story as to what's gone on this week, but I seriously doubt the club would be happy with him taking 5 days to get back from South Africa when you consider he is our only fit striker. Although he has behaved better at Spurs, he has a history of causing problems, that is why people are skeptical. It has nothing to do with his who he has previously played for.

I agreed when posters like Spuralot and Billy said wait until Friday before we judge, well, it's Friday and he didn't make it for training.

Last edited:

Adebayor is human.
Sometimes Adebayor is on form and he can trap a ball and dribble and pass.
Sometimes Adebayor is not on form and he traps a ball 10 yards and barely chases after it.

Adebayor could have been in Togo visiting sick relatives and healing the world, or he could have been in Vegas swigging tequila out of a hooker's navel, we just don't know yet.

Adebayor is human.
Sometimes Adebayor is on form and he can trap a ball and dribble and pass.
Sometimes Adebayor is not on form and he traps a ball 10 yards and barely chases after it.

Adebayor could have been in Togo visiting sick relatives and healing the world, or he could have been in Vegas swigging tequila out of a hooker's navel, we just don't know yet.

You can't swig from a navel (unless it was a very fat hooker with an inverted navel?) but you can sip.
OMG, am I going native?

Actually, I really think we can.
Considering how much work he does for people in Togo.
How much is expected of him.

Unless anyone here is a very rich and successful person who has left their poor country but often returns, is feted as a hero but has massive expectation upon then to put personal resources into various needy causes then I am highly doubtful that you do understand the pressure.

If all he did was kick a ball around you may be right.
But, with his life, he does more than that. It is not his job, but perhaps it is his calling. And that is more important.

I don't believe that the pressure on a nation's footballing star is any greater than that on a doctor, soldier, airline pilot or industrialist. In fact, no disrespect to you, mate, but I think it's quite insulting to aforementioned professions (and many other professions, for that matter) to suggest that famous footballers are under greater pressure.

From the Guardian......may be nothing more than press mischief making but the story is by David Hytner who, if memory serves, usually has reasonably good info on Spurs:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/08/tottenham-emmanuel-adebayor-return-africa?

Tottenham frustrated by Emmanuel Adebayor's late return from Africa
• André Villas-Boas had expected striker back sooner
• Adebayor a doubt for home clash with Saudi Sportswashing Machine

David Hytner
The Guardian, Friday 8 February 2013 22.00 GMT

Emmanuel Adebayor's return from the Africa Cup of Nations took a farcical twist on Friday when he was unable to make it back in time for Tottenham Hotspur's training session at three o'clock, to leave him as a selection doubt for the Saturday lunchtime kick-off against Saudi Sportswashing Machine at White Hart Lane.

André Villas-Boas, the Tottenham manager, was left frustrated as Adebayor encountered problems with his flights from Africa, where he had remained since Togo's elimination from the mid-season tournament by Burkina Faso on Sunday. The striker had been granted three days off by Villas-Boas after the defeat in the hope that he could return for training at 3pm on Thursday. The schedule came to be readjusted but the player still could not make it.

He did touch down in London on Friday afternoon but not in time for the session at the club's base in Enfield, leaving Villas-Boas to decide whether to name him as a substitute for the visit of Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Villas-Boas has kept his options open by including Adebayor in the 19-man matchday squad.

Villas-Boas insisted on Thursday that he was "extremely calm over the situation", but that was because he believed there ought to be no problem for a multi-millionaire footballer making a long-distance flight in the 21st century to arrive at his destination on time. Villas-Boas made his comments at 9am on Thursday but more than 24 hours later, his mood had understandably changed.

The manager already knew that he would be without his other senior striker, Jermain Defoe, who has a worrying ankle ligament injury, and he had made it clear that he intended to rely on Adebayor, even though he accepted he would "not be 100%" after his exertions at the Africa Cup of Nations and the travel.

"The player is fit," Villas-Boas said. "If he is able to be ready physically, we will select him and he will be in contention for the team."

Clint Dempsey, who played for the United States in Honduras on Wednesday, is expected to lead the line against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, with Villas-Boas's selection for the role in behind him likely to come down to a choice between the in-form Gareth Bale and the new signing Lewis Holtby, who is in line for his home debut.

Adebayor has endured a difficult season at White Hart Lane, since his return on a permanent £5.5m transfer from Emirates Marketing Project last August. He scored 18 goals during his season's loan last time out but he has three in this campaign.

The longer we don't get an acceptable reason, the more obvious it is there isn't one. Ade has fudged the club over, it'll take a lot to persuade me otherwise now.

He's deliberately missed two deadlines for his return. We can't blame Adebayor for this though, because he is simply a c**t and is just acting like the c**t that he is.

He just didn't fancy playing so deliberately turned up late and jet lagged to make sure he wouldn't play.

We're basically f**ked. Defoe injured/out of form. Dempsey not really being an out and out striker. Our best hope was Adeybayor but he's turned into the nightmare we all deep down thought he would be.

He's a snake and a classless tramp.

I think that people are being very quick to jump to conclusions here. Some of the vitriol being aimed at Adebayor here, I think, is a little premature. I think that it would make more sense to see how this pans out and find out the facts before coming to conclusions.

Before the internet, message boards and twitter, most fans would never know about something like this. I wonder how some of the legends who played for our club would be viewed if they were held up to the scrutiny and analysis that today's players are.

Back