• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Feeling very 'flat' for the new season

Oh, and I'm a stay homer by the way. I've refused to buy a ticket to a first team match since last summers fiasco. I'm actually planning on spending my time with the 1882 mob instead.
Wanna be in my gang my gang my gang wanna be in my gang? oh yeaahhhhhh

The thing is with the '1882' is that it won't be a regular thing. It doesn't help when some U-21 Premier League games (which I'd rather attend than a normal Prem game nowadays) kick-off at 12PM on a monday. That being said, the Nextgen Series could be good for some matches - I only go up to Spurs around once a month anyway (being it's so expensive).

At least with 1882 you don't get people that look round at you like an alien if you try to start a song with a bit of originality.

cause to get a team to work together and produce a result greater than the sum of its parts, is a reflection of the teams willingness to work for their boss.

Or their willingness to work for each other/the fans?

Why, where's the evidence?

1 .This is a belief that people hold because he was too brick to be a professional footballer - so therefore he has to be a great intellectual tactician.

2. So what you really mean is "I desperately pray that he is a master tactician, because if not - we're fudged."

I really don't know that much about him, I only go off newspaper articles, and putting pieces together from what I've heard.

Firstly - I imagine he is pretty good intellectually, because he never was a footballer. It kinda just makes sense that way, or else why is he here? Secondly, although it was a trainwreck at Chelsea, he was very highly rated beforehand, and they obviously saw something in him that made him worth all that money. That doesn't prove he's good, but it makes me feel more comfortable.

One thing which might prove that he is good, is that he had that amazing season at Porto. I'm sure there were lots of factors that were important to him achieving that, but he still did it. In addition, I like the way I've seen the team set out in pre-season and the first two games, and he looks good in an interview. I'm sure there are other factors, but this makes me at least want to give him the benefit of the doubt where I can.

As for point two? I agree, but with all the negativity around, why couch it like that? I wanna have fun in this world.

I really don't know that much about him, I only go off newspaper articles, and putting pieces together from what I've heard.

Firstly - I imagine he is pretty good intellectually, because he never was a footballer. It kinda just makes sense that way, or else why is he here? Secondly, although it was a trainwreck at Chelsea, he was very highly rated beforehand, and they obviously saw something in him that made him worth all that money. That doesn't prove he's good, but it makes me feel more comfortable.

One thing which might prove that he is good, is that he had that amazing season at Porto. I'm sure there were lots of factors that were important to him achieving that, but he still did it. In addition, I like the way I've seen the team set out in pre-season and the first two games, and he looks good in an interview. I'm sure there are other factors, but this makes me at least want to give him the benefit of the doubt where I can.

As for point two? I agree, but with all the negativity around, why couch it like that? I wanna have fun in this world.

As I have said several times, this is an opinion I stated before he arrived at CFC, and I hope now he is our manager that I am proved to be horribly wrong. This is the equivalent of me saying I hope gutterboy is finally right about something, which hurts to even think about.

Why couch it like that? Because thats the way I see it, do you want me to use fluffy euphamisms?

If you have half the fun in this world that I'm having, you will have done well - I'm a very happy and satisfied human, I just want to be happier and at the moment that means that AVB has to prove me wrong, thats all (this is a personal perspective and bears no relation to yours or anyone elses, I know that - for the sake of clarity)

He had some very, very good players at Porto including Moutinho, Hulk and Falcao who is one of the top 5 strikers in world football IMO.

Funny, I thought the same thing the last three seasons when we finished 4th, 5th, 4th. People still weren't happy and constantly found fault.

I think you will find most people only became unhappy, and found fault, when there was a good contextual reason. BTW, last season's 4th, in context, was the same as the season before's 5th.

As I have said several times, this is an opinion I stated before he arrived at CFC, and I hope now he is our manager that I am proved to be horribly wrong. This is the equivalent of me saying I hope gutterboy is finally right about something, which hurts to even think about.

Why couch it like that? Because thats the way I see it, do you want me to use fluffy euphamisms?

If you have half the fun in this world that I'm having, you will have done well - I'm a very happy and satisfied human, I just want to be happier and at the moment that means that AVB has to prove me wrong, thats all (this is a personal perspective and bears no relation to yours or anyone elses, I know that - for the sake of clarity)

Mick: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I am the only person who has fun in this world, and by extension that you don't for whatever reason. I think the slight difference in our positions is that I have high expectations (unfounded perhaps, but how can you ever support spurs without being an optimist?), and expect AVB to live up to them, whereas you have lower expectations, but hope for AVB to exceed them. There's not too much difference there :)

Jurgen: While Moutinho/Hulk/Falcao is very formidable, it's also them from 3 years ago (IIRC)

If we imagine them as the players they were 3 years ago, they all had a far lower profile and weren't rated as much. I'd even bet Falcao was rated underneath 82 on FIFA ;) . Comparing those 3 from 3 years ago to today's version of Bale, Adebayor and VDV doesn't feel so different.

In my honest, brutal, no optimism opinion; AVB's done the business before. When he did he was well equipped to the task, and when he's tried to do things without being equipped, he's flopped it. It appears we are attempting to equip him to the best of our ability. He might not be able to manage it, but football's a game with 22 men and a ball - belief and passion play a massive part. As fans, if we create an atmosphere where winning is expected, and support them in doing so until the final whistle, I feel that this is our best chance at succeeding this season, and will also probably be quite enjoyable.

Alternatively, if we set expectations low and understand that things probably won't be so good ever again, what do we expect to happen?

If it helps, I predict 5th in the league, Europa League Qtr finals, and top 8 in a domestic cup. While I wouldn't be over the moon with this, it's next season where we'll have had a year to gel and I will be more demanding of CL qualification. I guess my basic message is we've got him now, and our best shot is to give him a chance.

with king,modric, vdv gone kaboul out for ages, a ageing GK, unproven PL manager and again levy leaving everything to the last minute (if we are to get anyone else I feel the same)

10/11th at best with current squad, I can see a Levy out campaign starting, why did he sack Harry? seems daft now

oh and to add to it if we don't get top 5 this year i can see a 2nd wave of players going Bale, Sandro etc next summer

Great question. I'll have a better answer in 6 hours time BUT I think I'd
be fine with 5th/6th and a trophy this season with signs that NEXT season we can go for it.

Just following the closing hours of the window is quite a rush. They REALLY need to close it before the season starts.

Great question. I'll have a better answer in 6 hours time BUT I think I'd
be fine with 5th/6th and a trophy this season with signs that NEXT season we can go for it.

Why next season, steff?

Why is it always next season with us?

AVB came in well early, before pre-season, etc. - we had plenty of time to prepare

Why next season, steff?

Why is it always next season with us?

AVB came in well early, before pre-season, etc. - we had plenty of time to prepare

IMHO Arcy, he walked into a squad which had again narrowly failed to achieve what it should've achieved. Some older players, some players who were coasting, some players who were too comfortable. I think he took the US tour to see everything for himself and I think he is a man who is planning for years not months. Thus I believe next season we could go for the title if today goes as it should. Note I did say I expect silverware this season, which is more than we've had since 2008. Context is everything for me mate...

IMHO Arcy, he walked into a squad which had again narrowly failed to achieve what it should've achieved. Some older players, some players who were coasting, some players who were too comfortable. I think he took the US tour to see everything for himself and I think he is a man who is planning for years not months. Thus I believe next season we could go for the title if today goes as it should. Note I did say I expect silverware this season, which is more than we've had since 2008. Context is everything for me mate...

Hmmm, fair call - but I still think we could have identified our targets earlier and avoid this last minuted circus yet again

Personally, I'm happy for a semi-transitional season if the next 5 would translate into sustained success

I am normally very positive on things, I also backed Levy strongly, that said I have lost all sorts of passion for the season based on the transfer window. Flatest I have felt in ages TBH.

The club has undergone a fire sale above and beyond Modric, they also seemed keen to allow Dawson and Huddlestone to leave at some point and its now become clear there has been no replacements anywhere near close. With Kabouls injury what would we have done if Dawson had been allowed to leave?? We would have been up the creek and it just smacks of not quite knowing what we are doing.

Maybe the club will publish the balance sheet in programmes this season rather than the league table....

With Kabouls injury what would we have done if Dawson had been allowed to leave?? We would have been up the creek and it just smacks of not quite knowing what we are doing.

Kaboul is injured, that's why we have Gallas and Caulker to call upon

Yeh great, one injury crock and one lad who I have high hopes for yet is not in the same current league as Dawson....

Back