• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Feeling very 'flat' for the new season

Unbelievable last couple of pages really...I genuinely wonder if some enjoy being miserable, living in the past and saying "shouldn't have done that"...but staying on topic (and, now that I read this back over, indulging in some good ol' fashioned hypocirsy and, er, looking back!!!!), I'll happily explain why I felt flat in May/June. It was because I had watched us blow a 10 point lead, get handed a lifeline by our misfiring neighbors, need only to win our last two games, attend said games and witness (at Villa) one of the least incisive, ponderous games I could never have imagined. We should be in Friday's CL draw regardless of what chelsea did. The fact we aren't could still derail me if I allowed it to, because it was nailed on last season...anyway, I feel very very positive about the direction the club is going right now.

i'm not flat anymore - top class players flying in the door left and right, adebayor, dembele, Lloris perhaps,vertonghen - the team is coming together nicely. we all liked the organised way we set out and what we put on offer wasn't that bad at all, it just didn't hit the result.

things are just about to pick up, starting at norwich.

What about all the players potentially leaving?

Unbelievable last couple of pages really...I genuinely wonder if some enjoy being miserable, living in the past and saying "shouldn't have done that"...but staying on topic (and, now that I read this back over, indulging in some good ol' fashioned hypocirsy and, er, looking back!!!!), I'll happily explain why I felt flat in May/June. It was because I had watched us blow a 10 point lead, get handed a lifeline by our misfiring neighbors, need only to win our last two games, attend said games and witness (at Villa) one of the least incisive, ponderous games I could never have imagined. We should be in Friday's CL draw regardless of what chelsea did. The fact we aren't could still derail me if I allowed it to, because it was nailed on last season...anyway, I feel very very positive about the direction the club is going right now.

I've made my feelings clear.

If we had replaced Harry with Mourinho (however unlikely it was) or Ancellotti, two managers with great track records in England, then I would be excited about the season. But we've got a manager who's unproven in this country and failed at a club with considerable resources. I for one am very worried!

I've made my feelings clear.

If we had replaced Harry with Mourinho (however unlikely it was) or Ancellotti, two managers with great track records in England, then I would be excited about the season. But we've got a manager who's unproven in this country and failed at a club with considerable resources. I for one am very worried!

Fair enough mate.
Mourinho was a lot ore lily than you might've thought last January. If we'd finished 3rd, I'm not entirely convinced we might not have had a shot.
I think your assessment of AVB's time at Chelski is unfair personally, but I know some who agree with you. I personally wanted Ancelotti to have LAST season, as I felt he would've had us chasing the title to the final week and perhaps sneaking it. But for the project we needed, I'm not so sure. A fine manager for sure, but not for us now. Let's hope your worries are proven unfounded and that within 18 months we have a manager who has delivered both silverware and CL football with a portent to regularity. I think, finally, we should consider that the "spine" of our side FAILED to secure CL football. Whatever anyone says, and however it's dressed up, last season's squad failed. The blame for that is not solely on anyone's specific shoulders, but the fact is that having blown it, we were handed it back again with two games to go, and for whatever reason one wishes to peruse, they failed. Simple. Thus a new, fresh direction doesn't bother me at all. And that takes balls. Whether you like AVB or not, no-one would deny he has those for taking this job...

What about all the players potentially leaving?

Football is a funny thing - we've always had stars, and it's always felt bleak when they are on the way out. Firstly, losing Modric and VDV, is not on the same level as losing Berba and Keane, and it also doesn't have the same context. We have also known that last season was Modric's last for a while now, and so I'm a little desensitised to his passing. If VDV goes, while it will be incredibly sad, as he is a spurs player through and through, I feel he is very difficult to accomodate, and very hard to find a reasonable like for like backup to. In any case, we're already well covered in those positions with the new incomings. Ledley being gone is massive, massive, but there's nothing we can do about that and he served us for every day that he could.

We've got a whole new set of players to watch, and become sectarian about. Aren't you looking forward to people arguing whether Lloris and Kaboul/Vertonghen/Ekotto/Gallas are limiting Walker's development because he can't speak french? I want to see competition for Lennon so Lennon can evolve as he normally does and become an even better player. I want to see Sigurddson scoring 30 yarders, and Bale destroying the left side. Bale at fullback - might also be something we see from AVB.

I'm getting excited even typing this. There's loads and loads to look forward to this season;

ADEBAYOR ON PERMANENT (get in, top quality, 5 mil?)
Decent attempt at Europa League (AVB comments lead me to infer this)
Battle for 4th (While UTD, Chelsea, City are nailed on, Arse aren't. Could be a brutal time in North London for the rivalry this year.
Our what appears to be world class Next-gen team - really want to see how that develops from last season
More youth coming up from the ranks - Harry Kane has already been said to be in the managers plans for this season
All the signings gelling, and a new system/form/style of play emerging.

AVB does have weaknesses at a manager, but one of his numerous strengths is that I feel he probably knows what he is talking about when discussing football theory. There aren't too many people we could have got that would have had the capability to deliver what we're asking of him. I think we'll see a decline in results over this season, and finish 5th, but the season after that, it will be amazing.

Also, it's spurs, and when you're in, you're in. Either you watch the games, and get depressed when we lose 1-0, or you don't watch them, and get depressed thinking about missing spurs games. May as well walk to the gallows with a smile on our face, as we are gonna keep on walking rain or shine.

Football is a funny thing - we've always had stars, and it's always felt bleak when they are on the way out. Firstly, losing Modric and VDV, is not on the same level as losing Berba and Keane, and it also doesn't have the same context. We have also known that last season was Modric's last for a while now, and so I'm a little desensitised to his passing. If VDV goes, while it will be incredibly sad, as he is a spurs player through and through, I feel he is very difficult to accomodate, and very hard to find a reasonable like for like backup to. In any case, we're already well

covered in those positions with the new incomings. Ledley being gone is massive, massive, but there's nothing we can do about that and he served us for every day that he could.

We've got a whole new set of players to watch, and become sectarian about. Aren't you looking forward to people arguing whether Lloris and Kaboul/Vertonghen/Ekotto/Gallas are limiting Walker's development because he can't speak

french? I want to see competition for Lennon so Lennon can evolve as he normally does and become an even better player. I want to see Sigurddson scoring 30 yarders, and Bale destroying the left side. Bale at fullback - might also be something we see from AVB.

I'm getting excited even typing this. There's loads and loads to look forward to this season;

ADEBAYOR ON PERMANENT (get in, top quality, 5 mil?)
Decent attempt at Europa League (AVB comments lead me to infer this)
Battle for 4th (While UTD, Chelsea, City are nailed on, Arse aren't. Could be a brutal time in North London for the rivalry this year.

Our what appears to be world class Next-gen team - really want to see how that develops from last season
More youth coming up from the ranks - Harry Kane has already been said to be in the managers plans for this season
All the signings gelling, and a new system/form/style of play emerging.

AVB does have weaknesses at a manager, but one of his numerous strengths is that I feel he probably knows what he is talking about when discussing football theory. There aren't too many people we could have got that would have had the capability to deliver what we're asking of him. I think we'll see a decline in results over this season, and finish 5th, but the season after that, it will be amazing.

Also, it's spurs, and when you're in, you're in. Either you watch the games, and get depressed when we lose 1-0, or you don't watch them, and get depressed thinking about missing spurs games. May as well walk to the gallows with a smile on our face, as we are gonna keep on walking rain or shine.

This is my favorite post of the summer. Simply superb. Take a bow Sir!
=D>

Funny, I thought the same thing the last three seasons when we finished 4th, 5th, 4th. People still weren't happy and constantly found fault.

People want to do better when they're not number 1?

Wow, that's just like real life...

Did you really just say that? Thats the kind if thing I would expect from a giddy 13 year old.

The only debate about who will be number one is down to which of the megabucks clubs will be the most expansive in the wallet department. Finishing 4th is like winning the league for real clubs.

Get real mate

Did you really just say that? Thats the kind if thing I would expect from a giddy 13 year old.

The only debate about who will be number one is down to which of the megabucks clubs will be the most expansive in the wallet department. Finishing 4th is like winning the league for real clubs.

Get real mate

So we're meant to finish fourth and never look any higher to see how we can improve for the future?

So i guess you were ecstatic about last season.

Edit: In addition it is exactly like real life, you will generally be criticised for your mistakes far more than you will be complimented for your successes.

2nd Edit: Arsenal are not a real club then?

Last edited:

Why, where's the evidence?

This is a belief that people hold because he was too brick to be a professional footballer - so therefore he has to be a great intellectual tactician.

I think you will find that what counts is the ability to spot great players and put a team together, normally something that someone who has played the game at the top can do with any degree of success. And yes I know there have been some non playing managers who have achieved success but they are far outweighed by ex pro's.

Man management to me is the key ingredient to managerial success, combined with a grass roots understanding of what it means to the staff you control, because to get a team to work together and produce a result greater than the sum of its parts, is a reflection of the teams willingness to work for their boss.

His man mangement skills do not seem to be all that impressive and he has no personal experience to draw on.

So what you really mean is "I desperately pray that he is a master tactician, because if not - we're fudged."

So we're meant to finish fourth and never look any higher to see how we can improve for the future?

So i guess you were ecstatic about last season.

Edit: In addition it is exactly like real life, you will generally be criticised for your mistakes far more than you will be complimented for your successes.

I'm 54 and youre - what, 21/22? And done nothing but been at school all your life?

and you want to lecture me on what real life is like?

Thanks for your profound insights.

Don't try to belittle my support for this team. I want them to be league champions, but I'm not some eager eyed, infantile kid who can't see the bear in the woods.

We cannot, currently, compete with city, manure or CFC because they will always outpurchase us. We are stuck with second string players that they dont want and they will pick off any players that we have that are rising stars.

So no - 4th isn't what I aspire to - I'm just not gormless to believe that we have the resources to get much higher. The one person who had the talent to inspire that possibility has been sacked. Until we get a charismatic leader like him, or SAF or one of their ilk, we are destined to be also rans.

I dream as well, but I'm pragmatic enough to know how the world turns.

I'm sure you can put me straight though

(Oh, and your edit is a true losers mentality)

I'm 54 and youre - what, 21/22? And done nothing but been at school all your life?

and you want to lecture me on what real life is like?

Thanks for your profound insights.

Don't try to belittle my support for this team. I want them to be league champions, but I'm not some eager eyed, infantile kid who can't see the bear in the woods.

We cannot, currently, compete with city, manure or CFC because they will always outpurchase us. We are stuck with second string players that they dont want and they will pick off any players that we have that are rising stars.

So no - 4th isn't what I aspire to - I'm just not gormless to believe that we have the resources to get much higher. The one person who had the talent to inspire that possibility has been sacked. Until we get a charismatic leader like him, or SAF or one of their ilk, we are destined to be also rans.

I dream as well, but I'm pragmatic enough to know how the world turns.

I'm sure you can put me straight though

Wow.. If i am like you at that age i truly hope someone will put me out of my misery.

Wow.. If i am like you at that age i truly hope someone will put me out of my misery.

If you keep that macaronic attitude up, you won't make it. Someone somewhere will give you the slapping down that you deserve.

Don't worry though, I was the same at your age - its called growing up.

And by the way - I am not a miserable or negative person in any way shape or form, so don't try to judge me because I don't subscribe to your pie in the sky, wild eyed enthusiasm.

When you get to my age, the one thing you do is to look back at your early 20s and cringe at some of the things that you did or said. That is a fact of life.

And I don't judge you harshly on what you say, I am certain that you're a really nice guy, you are certainly bright and intelligent, and that means you will learn, being a judge of human character takes a bit more time than you've had so far, but its an important trait to get right, or it will cost you dearly.

If you keep that macaronic attitude up, you won't make it. Someone somewhere will give you the slapping down that you deserve.

And by the way - I am not a miserable or negative person in any way shape or form, so don't try to judge me because I don't subscribe to your pie in the sky, wild eyed enthusiasm.

When you get to my age, the one thing you do is to look back at your early 20s and cringe at some of the things that you did or said. That is a fact of life.

And I don't judge you harshly on what you say, I am certain that you're a really nice guy, you are certainly bright and intelligent, and that means you will learn, being a judge of human character takes a bit more time than you've had so far, but its an important trait to get right, or it will cost you dearly.

:lol:

I needed a good chuckle, your always good for it Mick. Thanks.

Ha ha. I can vouch for that! Who said youth was wasted on the young? :-"

:lol:

I needed a good chuckle, your always good for it Mick. Thanks.

Oh yeah, thats the other thing that I look back with embarassment about.

Being such an arrogant bell end that I thought that I had nothing to learn.

I might have to readjust my opinion of your capacity to learn

Oh yeah, thats the other thing that I look back with embarassment about.

Being such an arrogant bell end that I thought that I had nothing to learn.

I might have to readjust my opinion of your capacity to learn

Oh it's not arrogance, I'm just amused at how many assumptions someone can get wrong in so few posts.

Oh it's not arrogance, I'm just amused at how many assumptions someone can get wrong in so few posts.

so your assumptions are all accurate and perspicacious are they?

no arrogance in that at all..........

To the best of my recollection - the only assumption I have made about you is your age, if I'm wrong feel free to put me right.

You are the one making all of the assumptions and condescending remarks about the way I support the club.

Got to be honest, it really just cements all of the comments I made about the arrogance of youth.

Particularly your truth about life advice.

I think you need to leave school before you can start offering that up, as a bare minimum.

Unless of course, you are a liar about being at uni, or are a mature student and lied about your age.

Or maybe I just dreamed it all - and in fact you are indeed a mature and sage individual, with the wisdom of Solomon.

(Oh, I'm done with this crap by the way - so now you really will get the last word in, which you seem to be unable to resist.)

so your assumptions are all accurate and perspicacious are they?

no arrogance in that at all..........

To the best of my recollection - the only assumption I have made about you is your age, if I'm wrong feel free to put me right.

You are the one making all of the assumptions and condescending remarks about the way I support the club.

Got to be honest, it really just cements all of the comments I made about the arrogance of youth.

Particularly your truth about life advice.

I think you need to leave school before you can start offering that up, as a bare minimum.

Unless of course, you are a liar about being at uni, or are a mature student and lied about your age.

Or maybe I just dreamed it all - and in fact you are indeed a mature and sage individual, with the wisdom of Solomon.

I have not made a single comment about your support of the club. I made a comment about you as a person being happy not being at the top of the game, but that is in no way linked to your support of the club.

My truth about life advice?

I suggest you read back what you have written if you would like to see who has attempted to lecture whom on life advice.

Need to leave school? :lol:

You come across as an intelligent guy Mick, i'll give you that. Occasionally though your sensibilities do appear to take a leave of absence.

Edit: I can't have lied about my age, as i've never even stated my age. That was an assumption you made.

Back