• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Feeling very 'flat' for the new season

Don't want to. Like milo said, I'd prefer to look forward to the future. This subject is a divisive one, and I've realized it makes me instinctively want to disagree and angrily argue with posters who are otherwise thoughtful and considered, you included. Ergo, I'd prefer not to bring it up any more. I'd appeal to you, and the rest of this board, to do the same, but it's a lost cause, I guess, all things considered.

I'm not banging HRs drum per se, just questioning the wisdom of marching to the beat of the present one.

and its not sour grapes, I took the same stance when he was appointed at Chelsea, so you can imagine my dismay, having been proved right in my assumption that he would fail, that we promptly hire him.

As I have said though, I really hope and pray he gets it right this time, and that Levy gives him the tools to do the job, and in a timely manner.

I am first and foremost, a Spurs fan, and do not want him to fail to prove me right, far from it - I will be delighted if he rubs my nose in it.

I'm trying to stay out of it too, DS. Redknapp is history and I'd rather look forwards than constantly rake over last season.

Gentle reminder then. This thread is supposed to be about why some fans are feeling flat. Therefore, people are going to rake over the coals.

Might be interesting to do a poll, If you are feeling flat, which of these is the main reason ?

• Redknapp should never have been sacked
  • AVB is the wrong replacement
  • Bitter the way Chelsea freaked us out of the CL

Doubtless a mixture of all three for most, but Redknapp's sacking is my nemesis.

Thankfully for everyone who supports Spurs, I have bugger all to do with decisions at the club, so what I have or haven't learnt from last season is of little significance. I'm just bored of constant threads getting dragged into last seasons arguments or people slagging off our current manager through a misplaced loyalty to the last one.

That was a general statement, not a barb directed at you. I think its important that as a club we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, and do everything to expunge the memory of what HR achieved. At the moment it seems that is the direction we are going.

I wasn't talking about the fans.

The last 6 months have proved to me how truly ignorant and stupid large sections of the fan base can be

That's pretty much the same as the whole populace. There are large sections that are truly ignorant and stupid.

Makes perfect sense to me that the same could be said of our, or anyones, fan base.

I'm not banging HRs drum per se, just questioning the wisdom of marching to the beat of the present one.

and its not sour grapes, I took the same stance when he was appointed at Chelsea, so you can imagine my dismay, having been proved right in my assumption that he would fail, that we promptly hire him.

As I have said though, I really hope and pray he gets it right this time, and that Levy gives him the tools to do the job, and in a timely manner.

I am first and foremost, a Spurs fan, and do not want him to fail to prove me right, far from it - I will be delighted if he rubs my nose in it.

I think deep down that's a fear most people have, that AVB was indeed out of his depth and largely incompetent during his time at Chelsea. But that's exactly the reason why HR shouldn't be brought up as a stick to bash him with. Rightly or wrongly, AVB was appointed at Spurs. All of us want him to succeed, that's without doubt. You included. So giving him a bit of faith is the best way (and, indeed, the only way for us fans) to maximise the chances of this happening. That can't be done if HR's shadow looms over him at every turn.

Perhaps people are being too hasty in dismissing Redknapp. But that's only because they want AVB to succeed. They want to back him because they're scared that, if they don't, it'll end up like Chelsea all over again. Ergo, they try to forget HR's era and look forward to AVB's one. It's not erasing his role from our history, it's giving AVB a fresh start free from the influence of his predecessor.

I sincerely hope that's the case, anyway. And I do think it is.

That was a general statement, not a barb directed at you. I think its important that as a club we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, and do everything to expunge the memory of what HR achieved. At the moment it seems that is the direction we are going.

I know. There weren't many more vocal supporters of Redknapp on here than me but I do think that now is the time to move on. Bad feelings at a club fester quickly and bad feeling can affect the players and ultimately our results. AVB would not have been my choice to replace Redknapp either but now he is here, he has my support. I do worry what will happen if results don't pick up soon, sadly our support is very flakey and vocal too.

Sacking Redknapp was a stupid decision. The reason your feeling flat is probably because it seems like Juande Ramos all over again. We're losing some of our best players and failing to replace them. We're now much shorter in deffence, we're probably going to send out Huddlestone on loan and sell Van Der Vaart. Aswell as that we only have Adebyaor, Defoe and Kane as strikers.

I feel flat about football in general . To see the two clubs that don't give a damn about balancing the books lift the two major trophies plus the FA Cup, left a sour taste. I don't think we will ever see in our lifetime again , a team winning the CL in the fortuitous manner that the Chavs did .

Their buying of 25 million pound players and then sticking them on the bench . Look at Lukaku at the weekend, I'm sure we were in for him under Redknapp but got priced out of a deal by, Abramovich.

Harry Redknapp's performance as our manager also did it for me. He was disrespectful to our club and chairman on so many occasions and to see so many of my fellow Spurs supporting him on just about everything because he gave us CL , 4,5,4 whilst understandable, I found it a little disheartening. IMO The chairman was given no option but to let Harry go , he didn't deserve a new contract. Harry basically fecked up.

AVB has since been chosen by the Levy and the board which rightly is seen as a gamble. Personally I'd have liked Brenden Rodgers , the DeBoar/Berkamp partnership at Ajax or Laudrup who's now at Swansea, who all would've been a far happier gamble for me . I thought that Levy and the board wouldn't gamble with AVB or the ones I've mentioned and go safe with Capello bearing in mind we have a stadium to build. But Levy has made his choice in, AVB and now after two disappointing results and although the performances weren't that bad with some positives to be taken, all I'm hearing and reading is fellow Spurs continually moaning as if the season is downhill from here on in, so yes, I'm a little flat about it all at the moment :-k

I feel flat about football in general . To see the two clubs that don't give a damn about balancing the books lift the two major trophies plus the FA Cup, left a sour taste. I don't think we will ever see in our lifetime again , a team winning the CL in the fortuitous manner that the Chavs did .

Their buying of 25 million pound players and then sticking them on the bench . Look at Lukaku at the weekend, I'm sure we were in for him under Redknapp but got priced out of a deal by, Abramovich.

Harry Redknapp's performance as our manager also did it for me. He was disrespectful to our club and chairman on so many occasions and to see so many of my fellow Spurs supporting him on just about everything because he gave us CL , 4,5,4 whilst understandable, I found it a little disheartening. IMO The chairman was given no option but to let Harry go , he didn't deserve a new contract. Harry basically fecked up.

AVB has since been chosen by the Levy and the board which rightly is seen as a gamble. Personally I'd have liked Brenden Rodgers , the DeBoar/Berkamp partnership at Ajax or Laudrup who's now at Swansea, who all would've been a far happier gamble for me . I thought that Levy and the board wouldn't gamble with AVB or the ones I've mentioned and go safe with Capello bearing in mind we have a stadium to build. But Levy has made his choice in, AVB and now after two disappointing results and although the performances weren't that bad with some positives to be taken, all I'm hearing and reading is fellow Spurs continually moaning as if the season is downhill from here on in, so yes, I'm a little flat about it all at the moment :-k

Personally I was more than delighted to trade off his big mouth for the glorious football we played under Harry. To me it seemed a price worth paying, especially as no one could ever take his more ridiculous comments too seriously. I also discounted to an extent that dreadful sequence of results from late February on because of all the stuff that was going on with his trial and the England speculation. Surprised it didn't come earlier, eg when he had that heart flutter in December. Besides, it's hardly unusual for clubs to have a disastrous sequence like that somewhere along the line during the season - remember Arsenal and Chelsea? Unless you are Man Utd you pretty much have to legislate for it.

Just like this season, with a new manager who failed so woefully at Chelsea, most of us recognise that things could get a bit rough before they hopefully improve again.

Personally I was more than delighted to trade off his big mouth for the glorious football we played under Harry. To me it seemed a price worth paying, especially as no one could ever take his more ridiculous comments too seriously. I also discounted to an extent that dreadful sequence of results from late February on because of all the stuff that was going on with his trial and the England speculation. Surprised it didn't come earlier, eg when he had that heart flutter in December. Besides, it's hardly unusual for clubs to have a disastrous sequence like that somewhere along the line during the season - remember Arsenal and Chelsea? Unless you are Man Utd you pretty much have to legislate for it.

Just like this season, with a new manager who failed so woefully at Chelsea, most of us recognise that things could get a bit rough before they hopefully improve again.

Levy is not Mandric, Tottenham Hotspur is not Portsmouth . Harrys ego got the better of him , he were using us as a platform and he was getting worse and worse culminating in on the day after him returning from his holiday in the UAE, phoning up Sky Sports and arranging for them to be at his golf club for an exclusive interview where he pushed Levy for a new contract . It was all ridiculous.

Last edited:
I went to the WBA game and Livermore made a run of the mill tackle which in fairness covered a Sandro mistake, a free kick followed at which Sandro hugged Livermore and they celebrated like we had won the league, whilst you may say that it was a show of good team spirit I thought what a fudging joke, we are drawing at home to WBA and are celebrating a tackle that would not even get a glance in a Sunday morning game, I too am getting tinkled off at the way our game is going, they are all overpaid prima donnas.

Levy is not Mandric, Tottenham Hotspur is not Portsmouth . Harrys ego got the better of him , he were using us as a platform and he was getting worse and worse culminating in on the day after him returning from his holiday in the UAE, phoning up Sky Sports and arranging for them to be at his golf club for an exclusive interview where he pushed Levy for a new contract . It was all ridiculous.

nice to see you embrace the "lets move on" ethic.

Keep fabricating nails for Harry's coffin, it won't make him any more dead, but it obviously makes you feel better

With every passing season i get increasingly disillusioned by the Premier League (copyright 'best league in the world'). Usually my interest gradually picks up after the season has started & we get a few games in to it but i can see the day coming when i jack it in completely.
Hearing Spurs 'fans' booing Jenas when he came on & then the team at full time after the WBA game makes me realise how little in common with many of them these days. Nothing short of disgraceful.
The main reason that i feel flat at the moment is the same as usual, because i already know what teams will fill the top 3 places.

Hearing Spurs 'fans' booing Jenas when he came on & then the team at full time after the WBA game makes me realise how little in common with many of them these days. Nothing short of disgraceful.

Agreed - that was poor, imv - the Jenas part in particular - a player who's never said a word wrong against the club nor disrespected the fans in any sort of manner

Harry Redknapp's performance as our manager also did it for me. He was disrespectful to our club and chairman on so many occasions and to see so many of my fellow Spurs supporting him on just about everything because he gave us CL , 4,5,4 whilst understandable, I found it a little disheartening.

Strange how you didnt extend that sentiment towards Modric though

Agreed - that was poor, imv - the Jenas part in particular - a player who's never said a word wrong against the club nor disrespected the fans in any sort of manner

What do you want from the fans after yet another complete fudging August shambles? I don't boo, never have, but how else do fans make their voice heard? Harsh on Jenas, but fudge me, he shouldn't be on the bench, let alone the pitch.... What DOES he do?

What do you want from the fans after yet another complete fudging August shambles? I don't boo, never have, but how else do fans make their voice heard? Harsh on Jenas, but fudge me, he shouldn't be on the bench, let alone the pitch.... What DOES he do?

Save the £50 ticket price & stay at home.

Waiting for the window to be over and a few games in before passing judgement - I feel we're just a few players short of being something really really good. I really worry about AVB's ability to utilise Defoe, and think how he handles that situation will be a crucial issue up until January, as I don't see us bringing in another frontman

I too am feeling flat not about Spurs or the new season but football in general. I just don't find myself caring when the next game is and who it is between or against. No idea why. Maybe it was the Olympics? GHod knows.

Back