• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Formula One on Sky

So, I know fudge all about F1, really, but having watched Drive To Survive recently, I'm at least slightly interested now!

Carlos Sainz have gone to Ferrari, which means ... Vettel is going, where? Mercedes? Back to Red Bull?
Ricciardo to McLaren - will he do well there? Do they have a better car than Renault?

Why exactly is the gap between Mercedes/Ferrari and the rest so big? Do they just have better engineers and/or parts and R&D departments? It would be more interesting if the playing field would be more level, but I guess that's like saying the playing field should be level in football as well, doesn't really make sense from an economical perspective.

Anyways ... will be interesting to see how this season pans out. I'm rooting for Carlos Sainz - will be exciting to see how he fares in a Ferrari! :D

So, I know fudge all about F1, really, but having watched Drive To Survive recently, I'm at least slightly interested now!

Carlos Sainz have gone to Ferrari, which means ... Vettel is going, where? Mercedes? Back to Red Bull?
Ricciardo to McLaren - will he do well there? Do they have a better car than Renault?

Why exactly is the gap between Mercedes/Ferrari and the rest so big? Do they just have better engineers and/or parts and R&D departments? It would be more interesting if the playing field would be more level, but I guess that's like saying the playing field should be level in football as well, doesn't really make sense from an economical perspective.

Anyways ... will be interesting to see how this season pans out. I'm rooting for Carlos Sainz - will be exciting to see how he fares in a Ferrari! :D
Hamilton to Ferrari or accepting a joint lead status with Leclerc were Vettel's only realistic options to be in a top team next season. Red Bull have bet the bank on Verstappen and nobody else is likely to be close. Unfortunately for him, the last season or two have shown him to crack under pressure a bit and, much like Alonso, he seems to struggle when he isn't the clear favourite in the team. Best thing for him would be to take a year out, work on his mental state a bit and wait for the merry-go-round to start again.

As for more competitive cars, that's a bit of a hangover from the old deal under Ecclestone. It used to be that all teams had to agree on rule changes, which meant that very little in the way of meaningful change could happen. Under the new management, new rules were almost immediately agreed - due to start next season. Because of the upheaval this season it's been delayed a year, but that will make them more competitive.

Personally I'd like to see them do away with qualifying and simply start in reverse championship order on the grid. That would mean teams would have to overtake and all teams would be more likely to agree changes that improved overtaking. That won't happen though because too many fans enjoy the whole weekend spectacle.

Hamilton to Ferrari or accepting a joint lead status with Leclerc were Vettel's only realistic options to be in a top team next season. Red Bull have bet the bank on Verstappen and nobody else is likely to be close. Unfortunately for him, the last season or two have shown him to crack under pressure a bit and, much like Alonso, he seems to struggle when he isn't the clear favourite in the team. Best thing for him would be to take a year out, work on his mental state a bit and wait for the merry-go-round to start again.

As for more competitive cars, that's a bit of a hangover from the old deal under Ecclestone. It used to be that all teams had to agree on rule changes, which meant that very little in the way of meaningful change could happen. Under the new management, new rules were almost immediately agreed - due to start next season. Because of the upheaval this season it's been delayed a year, but that will make them more competitive.

Personally I'd like to see them do away with qualifying and simply start in reverse championship order on the grid. That would mean teams would have to overtake and all teams would be more likely to agree changes that improved overtaking. That won't happen though because too many fans enjoy the whole weekend spectacle.

Ah, ok, cool, that bodes well for a more competitive next season, then - nice. Starting in reverse championship order is a good idea, but yeah, no way are they going to give up that second day income.
As a newcomer of sorts (I remember watching F1 a fair bit back in the 90's) I find it a bit hard to grasp the rules regarding crashing into one another. Seems so random to me who's penalized and not for driving like an idiot, but maybe the documentary just doesn't do a very good job of explaining that. You have to encourage aggressive driving in a race, of course, but when you practically ruin someone else's car and their race by making a stupid decision - it seems a bit underwhelming to get like a 10 second wait in the pit penalty. :p

My two cents worth on how to make F1 more exciting, add jumps. Scalextric gave them the blueprint just need engineering.

maxresdefault.jpg

Lewis Hamilton is the absolute GOAT.

People who talk him down chat brick. "he has the best car". Yeh, so did Schuey. But so did their partner drivers and where are they? Hamilton today showed why he is the absolute best, he did not have the best car today, within 5 laps he was like 6th and 20secs off first. He had no right to win the race today and that drive, on a dangerously slippy track with bare tyres was unreal.

GOAT.

People who talk him down chat brick. "he has the best car". Yeh, so did Schuey. But so did their partner drivers and where are they? Hamilton today showed why he is the absolute best, he did not have the best car today, within 5 laps he was like 6th and 20secs off first. He had no right to win the race today and that drive, on a dangerously slippy track with bare tyres was unreal.

GOAT.
Quite.

I didn't think I'd see Schumacher matcched, let alone bested in my lifetime. There's a reason he not just a the best team but lead driver too.

Today wa a great example for the "I'd like to see him in a brick car" crowd. Mercedes had a poor car today - 3rd fastest at best. We won with a pitstop spare when his (very talented) teammate couldn't keep it on the track.

GOAT.

He is an Arsenal fan so I wont ever like him. On top of that he fcuked that bird from the pussycat dolls who is going to be my wife number 3.

That said he is a great great driver.

When the fudge did the race start today? F1 is always at 14.00 cet, so I tuned in at 13.30, and the race was already finished! WTF?

Great racing driver, absolute clown shoe of a bloke.
Exactly! My previous company did some sponsoring, and I got to meet him a couple of times on various events and races. He was an absolute brickhole of a puffed up self loving bastard. Bottas on the other hand, was an absolute gent.

Back