• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VE Day - 75th Anniversary

For those in the UK

• 10:50 BST - at a service in Westminster, Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle will lay a wreath on behalf of the Commons. Lord West will lay a wreath on behalf of the Lords
  • 11:00 - a national moment of remembrance and a two-minute silence will be held
  • 14:45 - in a special programme on BBC One, extracts from Churchill's victory speech to the nation announcing the end of the war in Europe will be broadcast
  • 14:55 - solo buglers, trumpeters and cornet players will be invited to play the Last Post from their homes
  • 15:00 - as Churchill's speech is broadcast, people will be invited to stand up and raise a glass in a national toast, saying: "To those who gave so much, we thank you"
  • 20:00 - another BBC One special will feature Welsh soprano Katherine Jenkins, actor Adrian Lester and singer Beverley Knight, who will be performing some well-known songs from the 1930s and 40s. The programme will culminate in the nation being invited to sing along to a rendition of wartime classic We'll Meet Again
  • 21:00 - the Queen's pre-recorded address will be broadcast on BBC One at the exact moment her father, King George VI, gave a radio address 75 years ago. It will be her second televised message during the coronavirus outbreak after a rare speech to the nation last month
  • 21:30 - Spotlights will light up the sky in Portsmouth to recall the experience of blackouts during the war. The local council says the lights are also to remind people "that lighter times will come again"

I found it totally embarrassing this morning on the BBC when they were interviewing a WWII vet and the interviewer’s were trying to compare the current situation to the war and asking the old boy about the similarities.

Because being asked to stay at home and get 80% pay to watch Netflix all day or play FIFA totally compares to D day or Dunkirk!!

The German family are next door in their holiday house....while opposite in the close the bunting is up,and union jack's fluttering in the wind, residents are spread out on the grass, soaking up the sun with either a bottle of something or tea and cake (scones).

Now myself not being German I wonder how they view VE day.? It's a good thing as it was the best outcome? 'We lost...stop fudging rubbing it in' ? Or keep your head down and let it pass? Or perhaps guilty for a dark part of their history?

The German family are next door in their holiday house....while opposite in the close the bunting is up,and union jack's fluttering in the wind, residents are spread out on the grass, soaking up the sun with either a bottle of something or tea and cake (scones).

Now myself not being German I wonder how they view VE day.? It's a good thing as it was the best outcome? 'We lost...stop fudging rubbing it in' ? Or keep your head down and let it pass? Or perhaps guilty for a dark part of their history?

You'd have to ask "them". They also might not follow a hive mind and may possibly have differing opinions in it.

I'm not German but lived there for a bit and I consider that we over egg anything to do with WW1 / WW2 celebration because it's one of a very few times when us English folk actually came out of a conflict looking good and could be considered as on the good side (that mitchell and webb comes to mind!). Either way a lot of souls were lost tragically and some presumably profited.

They view it as the end of Nazi oppression. A day that many in Germany treat with great respect. It is something they have to live with. Arguably it chimes harder in Germany. VE stands for Victory in Europe. The day that a continent started to heal.

They view it as the end of Nazi oppression. A day that many in Germany treat with great respect. It is something they have to live with. Arguably it chimes harder in Germany. VE stands for Victory in Europe. The day that a continent started to heal.
That's true of the younger generations. Not necessarily so for some of the older ones

I hope the rest of the country marked the day with more common sense than those in my town, street partying everywhere, distancing clearly forgotten.

According to what? Many people in Germany at the time of Nazi leadership tried everything to leave, if they could. Seems like a dangerous comment.
According to working there for a while.

I'm not saying they're Nazi sympathisers, just that they don't see anything to celebrate in getting their arses handed to them on both fronts.

Yesterday was a public holiday in Germany. I suspect with less bellendery than we saw here.

Back