• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Why is there going to be vast amounts of excess deaths?
What is an excess death?
Excess of what measurement?
The expected deaths in the UK per year is 600k.
It has not been that for several years.
I will be very surprised if it over this year.

Are you implying there is no real effect because all human beings die anyway?

The office of national statistics use a five year rolling average. If you look at the annual ebb and flow of weekly death reporting you will see a clear pattern over the year, that lends supports to this method.

My ranking has little to no value, it's my anecdotal opinion ;)

But if you're interested:

Istanbul, Turkey
Bangkok, Thailand (I stayed at the Bumrungrad Hospital here, honestly it was one of the most incredible hospitals I've ever been to, we kept mistakenly calling it a hotel. In fact I just wrote 'I stayed' there.
Auckland, New Zealand
Sydney, Australia
Amsterdam, Netherlands
London, UK
Dubai
New Dehli, India

Writing it down now I believe there's more places.
Are you a cat?

Who is going to pay for the NHS?

Who is going to pay for people’s mortgages?

Who is going to pay for people’s food?

Who is going to pay for the benefits that are increasing through job loses?

Do mental health/missed cancer treatment deaths not count?

That link is disputed by many more who realise the above.

You seem to think the article suggests locking down forever. Of course, that’s not the case.

It argues that no lockdown, and a lockdown eased too quickly, would/will both result in great economic damage. High levels of illness-related work absence, the need for isolation (anyone living with an infected person for at least 14 days), and the public’s fear would all play a part in hugely disrupting the economy.

In the case of a lockdown eased too quickly, that is very likely to see repeated lockdowns as the virus spirals out of control again (something likely to happen if we lift restrictions now, given our present infection rate - over 10,000 new cases in the last two days - and our falling testing rate over the past week).

As for who pays for all of the above - the taxpayer, same as always. I don’t know about you, but I’m paying the same amount of tax as always during lockdown. That will be the same for three quarters of the workforce not furloughed; and those furloughed are taxed on that too.

As the article says, the economy is essentially in deep freeze during this crisis - and, for me, the government have got their approach to that almost entirely right. When the time is right, it’s their job to bring it back to life. And they can’t hide behind “the science” on that one.

Last edited:
Trumps saying they are going to be opening up and getting the economy back on track...sod it if more old people die

Wowsers
This is why Republicans want blanket legal immunity for employers. They are also proposing if you don't go back to work you have effectively quit and your social security payments will stop (and your medical insurance will be terminated). So basically go back to work and maybe die, or stay at home and starve. Pro-life party, eh?

Meanwhile, in international news - what the rest of the world thinks about our Coronavirus response:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...response-boris-johnson?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Why do you care what the rest of the world thinks?

I get it you hate the government as do the guardian but i dont get why your bothered by what other people think.

Fact is the will be an inquiry after all this is over and in 4 years time an election and i cant imagine the tories will allow Johnson to lead them into that because he will lose heavily.

I dont want either labour or the tories in. The new labour guy is a clone of blair. For me, i honestly cant see myself voying ever again.

Will be interested to see who the tories give the top job to next. That rory stewart looks like a right oddball bit like ed Miliband he could have done a good job.

I'm not sure that's fair. I seem to recall it being made clear for quite a while that the UK death numbers in the government charts were hospital-only deaths.

Yes our numbers were quoted as hospital-only deaths (and I believe it was media pressure that eventually led to the separate weekly non-hospital death updates being made available). I don’t have a problem with that per se (WHO recommendations were to only count as Covid 19 deaths those that had been confirmed as such through testing - and, rightly or wrongly, we were only testing hospital patients) but at no time that I recall was there any explicit comment from government about differing counting methodology across countries - anything about that came through media reports. But now that our numbers are higher than other (European) countries it is being explicitly stated that this might be due to the counting methodology. It just smacks of deflection, denial and a desperation to detract from the reality that the UK’s handling of the pandemic has been less than optimal.

Yes our numbers were quoted as hospital-only deaths (and I believe it was media pressure that eventually led to the separate weekly non-hospital death updates being made available). I don’t have a problem with that per se (WHO recommendations were to only count as Covid 19 deaths those that had been confirmed as such through testing - and, rightly or wrongly, we were only testing hospital patients) but at no time that I recall was there any explicit comment from government about differing counting methodology across countries - anything about that came through media reports. But now that our numbers are higher than other (European) countries it is being explicitly stated that this might be due to the counting methodology. It just smacks of deflection, denial and a desperation to detract from the reality that the UK’s handling of the pandemic has been less than optimal.
Why doesn't someone reveal how all countries tally up their numbers, and we can then all make our own minds up.

Sans hearsay, sans opinion pieces, sans soundbites, sans cherry picking, sans noise.

Why do you care what the rest of the world thinks?

I get it you hate the government as do the guardian but i dont get why your bothered by what other people think.

I think it’s particularly interesting what other countries think of us given that we’re about to leave a political and trading alliance that has been massively important to us over the past 40+ years, and our position in the world is going to shift because of that. We are going to need new alliances and new markets. It could be argued that what other countries think of us hasn’t been as important since the Second World War.

For the record, I don’t hate the government, and I of course wanted them to get their reaction to the pandemic right. I do think, though, that they have made a host of bad decisions which have cost thousands of lives. They have failed to own that - in fact, they are in my opinion exerting a huge amount of effort on arse-covering and spin when their priorities should be elsewhere. I also think that the Prime Minister has shown he is not up to the job, and there is a lack of real talent (or questioning, intelligent thought) in the cabinet.

I don’t think things would necessarily have been better handled had Corbyn won; in fact, he’d probably still be trying to put together a committee to come to a consensus on whether the virus is contagious or not.

If the level of proof you require is that high then you could say precisely the same for travel.

You should apply to work for Boris, Raab and co, you’re intellectually on their wavelength.

I’ll leave this debate given you’re no doubt as stubborn as me, and unlikely to ever admit you’re wrong (Sissoko will be fully fit after when the league starts again). Keep letting people land at LHR and see how well the UK recovery effort goes, noting that from afar it seems like a complete sh!tshow, same with the US.

I think it’s particularly interesting what other countries think of us given that we’re about to leave a political and trading alliance that has been massively important to us over the past 40+ years, and our position in the world is going to shift because of that. We are going to need new alliances and new markets.

Brexit again? Its what it all comes back to doesn't it for you anti democrats.

The EU has far more issues picking up the bill for this virus then we will.

In fact one happy side effect of the pandemic will be seeing the EU rip itself apart, still imagine they will ask us to pay for it like they did the bail out of the euro.

Are you implying there is no real effect because all human beings die anyway?

The office of national statistics use a five year rolling average. If you look at the annual ebb and flow of weekly death reporting you will see a clear pattern over the year, that lends supports to this method.

No I am implying no such thing.

The questions are to try and get people to see a bit deeper than headlines and numbers. To question what these phrases are and their understanding of them.

I'm glad you gave quoted the five year average, something I have been doing since the start of this.
Taking a three month window within that five years and using it is meaningless.
I see the ebb and flow every week, its my job to see it, and I can assure you there is no pattern. Not on a weekly basis, that's why there's a five year average, too even out the peaks and troughs.

You should apply to work for Boris, Raab and co, you’re intellectually on their wavelength.

I’ll leave this debate given you’re no doubt as stubborn as me, and unlikely to ever admit you’re wrong (Sissoko will be fully fit after when the league starts again). Keep letting people land at LHR and see how well the UK recovery effort goes, noting that from afar it seems like a complete sh!tshow, same with the US.
If I gave even half a fudge what other people think I wouldn't be nearly as good as I am at what I do.

Outward appearance has no value in this whatsoever.

This is why Republicans want blanket legal immunity for employers. They are also proposing if you don't go back to work you have effectively quit and your social security payments will stop (and your medical insurance will be terminated). So basically go back to work and maybe die, or stay at home and starve. Pro-life party, eh?
In what way could refusing to turn up to work be seen as anything other than a sackable offence?

Brexit again? Its what it all comes back to doesn't it for you anti democrats.

In fact one happy side effect of the pandemic will be seeing the EU rip itself apart

You’ve no idea how I voted on Brexit - and my point wasn’t anti-Brexit. It was a statement of fact.

I do wish, though, I’d a pound for every time I’d heard that the EU was going to fall apart.

Anyway, I’m not going to fall out about this. In normal times your posts make me laugh too much.

Back