• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

The PFA statement basically sums up what I was saying, the payment into tax is valuable beyond what people give it credit for so all the rich footballer bashing is slightly misguided.

I’ve said for years that the football model is broken if there is so much money in the game and clubs are likely to go under if off for 3 months. But that’s not the players problem or fault, that’s the games but until it changes I don’t expect the players to just hand over h the money they are contracted to receive.

The PFA statement basically sums up what I was saying, the payment into tax is valuable beyond what people give it credit for so all the rich footballer bashing is slightly misguided.

I’ve said for years that the football model is broken if there is so much money in the game and clubs are likely to go under if off for 3 months. But that’s not the players problem or fault, that’s the games but until it changes I don’t expect the players to just hand over h the money they are contracted to receive.

I don't really agree. Football clubs are dealing with an unprecedented crisis. You can't design your business model to deal with the worst case scenario for once in a century events. That'd be like saying the business model for airlines or hotels is broken.

The argument about players' wages going in tax is fair enough. But is supposes that their employers can support the paying of their wages indefinitely. They can't. For me, players have more responsibility in this debate than the football clubs. They can't continue to go to the well like this.

I don't really agree. Football clubs are dealing with an unprecedented crisis. You can't design your business model to deal with the worst case scenario for once in a century events.

The event is irrelevant the fact there is so much money in the game and it can’t survive 3 months off is utterly ridiculous.

In many cases it’s even worse, One of the Bristol clubs was 3m in debt before this all kicked off. Wigan were ploughing an extra million into their club a week to cover the wage bill.

There are and have been warning signs for years that money should have been better used by clubs and a united stance taken about wages, it was ignored and the cows have now come home to roost.

The example for airlines and hotels is not comparable, their operating costs are huge, landing tax, fuel, fuel surcharge, maintenance etc compared to their staff costs, plus the margins in travel are hugely slim, where if you paid the operating costs at a prem club before player wages you would be left with a HUGE chunk of change, how clubs spend that is on them, they decide to Chuck their disposable income into player wages.

The event is irrelevant the fact there is so much money in the game and it can’t survive 3 months off is utterly ridiculous.

In many cases it’s even worse, One of the Bristol clubs was 3m in debt before this all kicked off. Wigan were ploughing an extra million into their club a week to cover the wage bill.

There are and have been warning signs for years that money should have been better used by clubs and a united stance taken about wages, it was ignored and the cows have now come home to roost.

Some fair points. I agree on the Bristol clubs and Wigan. Absolutely. Some clubs are badly run. But we aren't and Liverpool aren't. We're a very well run business but when your revenue literally disappears overnight and you still have seven figure weekly payments to make, I find it hard to criticise football as a whole. Any industry would be in trouble. If we were in danger after a week or two, fair enough but I reckon we can last a few months (like most clubs). To me, that shows a fairly well run business to continue running with no revenue and massive expenses for that period of time.

Some fair points. I agree on the Bristol clubs and Wigan. Absolutely. Some clubs are badly run. But we aren't and Liverpool aren't. We're a very well run business but when your revenue literally disappears overnight and you still have seven figure weekly payments to make, I find it hard to criticise football as a whole. Any industry would be in trouble. If we were in danger after a week or two, fair enough but I reckon we can last a few months (like most clubs). To me, that shows a fairly well run business to continue running with no revenue and massive expenses for that period of time.

No and I do agree to an extent but there are studies where if clubs just squirrelled away a small % of their income from years of absolute fortune they would be in a better place and Premier League clubs have had levels of income before wage bills that other companies would dream off.

Alan Sugar said once, you could cut footballs wage bill in half globally and the game would be better and unchanged, players would still be rich beyond their need and the sport would be in a better state.

No and I do agree to an extent but there are studies where if clubs just squirrelled away a small % of their income from years of absolute fortune they would be in a better place and Premier League clubs have had levels of income before wage bills that other companies would dream off.

Alan Sugar said once, you could cut footballs wage bill in half globally and the game would be better and unchanged, players would still be rich beyond their need and the sport would be in a better state.
The problem comes from owners throwing money at a self created problem
But that’s what changes the status quo
Roman did it
City have done it
Neverton are now trying
There are many more
To compete they have to in effect cheat the system and that creates a land grab for players they can’t afford a club without a sub from the owner
So weaker clubs have to offer more to progress which then means the better clubs have to offer more to keep the players and it becomes a viscous spiral

The example for airlines and hotels is not comparable, their operating costs are huge, landing tax, fuel, fuel surcharge, maintenance etc compared to their staff costs, plus the margins in travel are hugely slim, where if you paid the operating costs at a prem club before player wages you would be left with a HUGE chunk of change, how clubs spend that is on them, they decide to Chuck their disposable income into player wages.
There really isn’t so much money in the game
It’s in the bank balances of the employees (the players)

Last edited:
The problem comes from owners throwing money at a self created problem
But that’s what changes the status quo
Roman did it
City have done it
Neverton are now trying
There are many more
To compete they have to in effect cheat the system and that creates a land grab for players they can’t afford a club without a sub from the owner
So weaker clubs have to offer more to progress which then means the better clubs have to offer more to keep the players and it becomes a viscous spiral

Well that’s the issue isn’t it, the fight and almost emotional blackmail to compete overrules any rational thought process and in many respects the horse has bolted. However I fail to blame players claiming what are average wages set by clubs and in their other guises sensible business men.

Well that’s the issue isn’t it, the fight and almost emotional blackmail to compete overrules any rational thought process and in many respects the horse has bolted. However I fail to blame players claiming what are average wages set by clubs and in their other guises sensible business men.
The issue is anyone can gamble with a football club
It’s bonkers
Can’t operate like this in Germany or France

The issue is anyone can gamble with a football club
It’s bonkers
Can’t operate like this in Germany or France

Would not be the worse thing if football in this country got stripped back and we started again.

Interesting that Wimbledon the all England club took out pandemic insurance, very forward thinking on their part. Tried every year to get tickets for it and never managed.

Would not be the worse thing if football in this country got stripped back and we started again.

Interesting that Wimbledon the all England club took out pandemic insurance, very forward thinking on their part. Tried every year to get tickets for it and never managed.
Well there’s was off the back of SARS which was all about timing and the international nature Of their Game at that point

as I said before on here you would struggle to claim against force majeure for this

Do you apply for Wimbledon tickets in the annual ballot?

I’ve done it for a decade and never got anything but a mate did it for first time last autumn and got a pair of seats for Men’s quarter finals!

https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/tickets/the_wimbledon_public_ballot.html

The reason the players aren't willing to take a pay cut is that they know a lot of the clubs have the money.
They still have clubs contacting them and their agents about transfers in the summer.

That is how they know the clubs will continue spending money on transfer fees and agent fees as normal.

You have Chelsea and United fighting over £100m+ Sancho.
There's a list of Premier League clubs trying to buy Morelos from Rangers.
You have Timo Werner deciding between Liverpool and Bayern.
You have every club that needs a dm looking at Baptiste Santamaria.
Idiots West Ham looking to sign Alexis Sanchez.

Back