• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Firstly I didn't quote babble, babble, Gove on Brexit, I couldn't imagine quoting fish lips on anything meaningful. Secondly, are you sure there are no experienced knowledgeable people who understand the details of international trade, economics, and politics - people who might understand some of the implications of brexit?

Sorry, my mistake.
I thought you were original poster who quoted goves tired of experts.
No one, absolutely no one can say any certainty what will come of any political policy.
Politics isn't a science, you can't follow a path and come to a fact. You can follow the path to a conclusion, but that conclusion may not be correct. There are too many uncontrollable variables.

Public outcry that despite saying testing of 25k w day would happen, we’re not even testing all NHS staff.

If you get the testing working you save money and lives in the end. Germany test our total tests thus far in less than 1 week.

A month back, the WHO made it easy by saying it 3 times. Test test test. Only this week when the media and people kicked up a fuss highlighting our lack of testing did we see any decisive action.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Now there is outcry but you alluded to them going from Herd to lock down because of outcry, we didn't, there was no outcry

Experts and scientists are not the same thing.
The political experts on both sides of the brexit debate were at best guessing at possible future outcomes. You can never tell which is right and which is wrong, even in Hindsight.
Medicine is factual, evidence based science.

Agree on Expert, even a clocks right twice a day

Genuine question here

What is effective testing, surely if NHS staff are tested the results are only valid for the day they are at work, then exposed again. So they aiming for daily testing??

Sorry, my mistake.
I thought you were original poster who quoted goves tired of experts.
No one, absolutely no one can say any certainty what will come of any political policy.
Politics isn't a science, you can't follow a path and come to a fact. You can follow the path to a conclusion, but that conclusion may not be correct. There are too many uncontrollable variables.

Would you also think it fair to say that 'no one, absolutely no one can say [with] any certainty what will come of' this virus?

You could argue there is more scientific certainty around Brexit. Economics is a social science, but there are still hard facts. The value of past exports to Europe, how much food is imported, the % of UK lamb that is exported to x market etc etc. To say that experts such as economists had no value in understanding something as complex as Brexit is...well you fill in the blank...

Last edited:
@glasgowspur what I do agree with, is it is impossible to accurately model the outcome and effects of Brexit (and it has proved extremely difficult to model and project Corona too). What experts can do is help you to understand the variables and core issues to form rational ideas and understand the directions of travel. To ignore knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Last edited:
Of course Experts are Experts for a reason, but even they get things wrong because the worlds fluid as Corona Virus proves.

You can predict something but ultimately we all know f all

You keep testing them.

This week 1 in 4 NHS staff were off isolating. Maybe their child or someone in their household had symptoms or they did.

Of the small number of tests that were done on NHS staff isolating themselves, only 15% had Coronavirus.

Sounds expensive. Can we be sure that the benefit outweighs the cost?

I think a state of no lockdown is probably cheaper in the long run. Especially as it only appears to be significantly fatal to the elderly and infirm

It’s cheaper to close most businesses and pay the wages of all staff?

Rather than invest in widespread testing to identify and isolate the virus and let the rest of the economy function - as S Korea have.

It’s cheaper to close most businesses and pay the wages of all staff?

Rather than invest in widespread testing to identify and isolate the virus and let the rest of the economy function - as S Korea have.

No. "No lockdown" means no lockdown. We carry on as normal, lose some and continue to carry on as normal.

Especially as it only appears to be significantly fatal to the elderly and infirm

This is the great smokescreen that governments have created to try to avoid mass panic.

This virus can take anyone.

Yes, it hits the elderly, but it kills all sorts of people. The ‘underlying conditions’ thing I’ve been sceptical of for a while, once you take into account the huge variety of things included as an underlying condition (smoker, being overweight, high blood pressure...). Plenty of those dying are hardly ‘infirm’.

And there are plenty dying without any ‘underlying conditions’; and plenty who are below 60.

Back