• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

That gets my back up a bit. I don’t think it’s the role of politicians to pick one particular category of earner and tell them to take a pay cut nor tell them to make a contribution nor to pull some kind of crude emotional blackmail by bringing up NHS staff who have died (conveniently overlooking the lack of PPE, testing etc) as if that is anything to do with the players.

That gets my back up a bit. I don’t think it’s the role of politicians to pick one particular category of earner and tell them to take a pay cut nor tell them to make a contribution nor to pull some kind of crude emotional blackmail by bringing up NHS staff who have died (conveniently overlooking the lack of PPE, testing etc) as if that is anything to do with the players.

Sadly you are in the minority! It is a PR equivalent of putting the barrel in your mouth and pulling the trigger!

Left over from....?
The pay cuts
If the players take a 20% cut and that’s used for the non playing staff salary it leaves about half
Assume the earner is on £30k a year that’s £1.4m a month ish for 550 people
Or £17m a year
Take that off our wages it leaves around £160m which is roughly £13m a month
So 20% odd that is £2.6m
What happens with the £1.2m over

All rich people or anyone really that can afford to do so without impacting their own finances too greatly should be doing their bit to contribute. Should all footballers be forced to take a pay cut? I don’t think so think personally. But when quite a few high profile athletes, celebrities and organisations have already put their hand in their pockets whilst Premier League footballers choose not to. Well it’s not a good look.

Some football fans are such saps that they will buy whatever their club sells them no matter how preposterous it is. I’m not taking about any specific club here.

The pay cuts
If the players take a 20% cut and that’s used for the non playing staff salary it leaves about half
Assume the earner is on £30k a year that’s £1.4m a month ish for 550 people
Or £17m a year
Take that off our wages it leaves around £160m which is roughly £13m a month
So 20% odd that is £2.6m
What happens with the £1.2m over

I don’t think the call for a player pay-cut is intended to cover (just) the wages of the non-playing staff (if at all) though. It’s intended to reduce the club’s outgoings as much as possible at a time when there is significantly reduced income and a limit on how far cash reserves can be stretched. So there isn’t really anything ‘left over’.
That’s why I do have some sympathy for the stance being taken by the PFA - they want to be sure there aren’t owners taking advantage of the situation and using wage cuts as a way of building up the coffers, rather than just to maintain the running of the club.
I do think the PFA could have acted faster though and better managed the messaging of what they are trying to achieve.

Somewhat agree though it has shifted a lot of the criticism from levy to the players in general.

It’s crude to play politics in a situation like this but we can do without the adverse PR at the moment.

I have no problem with players salaries in general, if you have the talent fair play they deserve it.

But when someone like lingard etc is on 150k(not long ago was on far more than Kane), then it does stink the game out.

Back