• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

That’s a plausible idea and I’m sure he would agree some form of top up.

It was good to see the Health Secretary(responding to a question in the daily update) saying premier league footballers they should take a pay cut.

Our Daniel started the debate and now politicians are backing him.
But what about the extra money left over?

Well his sentiment is right IMO
But he is trying to push the wrong people
And of course there is the danger that players take pay cuts and where does that money then go?
Is the missing money going to the treasury?
Or are owners doing to keep it?
And of course there would be less tax revenue
It’s actually much more complex than he realises I think
I think everything's more complicated than he realises.

Never met him but reading that letter makes me suspect he's one of those simpletons that wanders around with a vacant grin on his face.

I should imagine a few senior tories and Tory donors have more in their accounts than your average footballer.

If it’s a big group go after the group, not just the ones that make headlines.

I should imagine a few senior tories and Tory donors have more in their accounts than your average footballer.

If it’s a big group go after the group, not just the ones that make headlines.
If we've all got to do our bit, the govt should cut welfare spending by 20% too.

Everyone feels like that about their club, that's not where the difference lies.

The difference is between those who do and don't understand that unless they themselves own the club outright, it will be treated as a business by everyone else.

Again a fair observation in the sense its accuracy is undeniable.
I suppose the greater question becomes whether we're wasting our time expecting more of the club than being just a "business" (given that football in general represents the most unorthodox of businesses)...

Again a fair observation in the sense its accuracy is undeniable.
I suppose the greater question becomes whether we're wasting our time expecting more of the club than being just a "business" (given that football in general represents the most unorthodox of businesses)...
I think that's less so over time. Gradually the walls are crumbling whereby everyone involved in football had to be "a football man"

That's an undeniably good thing. It's caused pundits like Carragher and managers like Sherwood. It means that those now running our clubs know how to run large-scale businesses. Equally it will disengage those who are inexplicably opposed to capitalism, but that's just part of the gentrification process.

I think that's less so over time. Gradually the walls are crumbling whereby everyone involved in football had to be "a football man"

That's an undeniably good thing. It's caused pundits like Carragher and managers like Sherwood. It now means that those now running our clubs know how to run large-scale businesses. Equally it will disengage those who are inexplicably opposed to capitalism, but that's just part of the gentrification process.

I think there is a very important aspect to this discussion. No-one I know is "opposed to capitalism" per se, it is the form/model of capitalism that needs modification if we are to avoid even worse than this. Make no mistake, this situation comes from extreme capitalism (a discussion we can enjoy -whilst drinking whiskey/whisky- in another thread).

View attachment 8462

Julian Knight, Chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee, has come out against us using furlough money to pay our staff. He's also written to Rishi Sunak proposing a windfall tax on PL all clubs that use furlough money to pay non-playing staff, apparently. Bournemouth, Norwich, Saudi Sportswashing Machine - and us.

The letter in question -

View attachment 8463

Reading through the thread thinking "fudging hell there are an awful lot of tory spurs fans around" and then two actually tories pop up showing the people on here are more right wing that Boris Johnson's lot. Or are you all just partisan defending the club?

Doesn’t excuse the footballers, though, Barney - just makes them part of a big group.
It makes them part of the group of rich people that exists
The 1%
Their in control of their money and that’s how it works when you get that rich and that’s why the rich get richer and the poor stay still
That disparity has been around forever and won’t go away
The issue of course is the clubs that spend beyond their means are desperate for this but also know they can’t do anything as their players would leave
What this has to start showing (and it’s being ignored) is that letting foot all clubs be playthings and run in a wholly unsustainable way is wrong for something that emotionally affects so many
I said it when United were sold to the Glazers and then mortgaged to find the purchase. What was stopping a fan doing it.... their live for the club and of course their inability to paint a picture of £££ in the same way the Glazer did

Last edited:
It's not really a proposal for action - it's a statement of intent, which essentially serves as a) a tool to hurry the PL along, and b) a PR tool for the MP.

For an MP, being able to respond to public outrage by making principled statements ('the purpose of the scheme is not to support the economics of the Premier League clubs') is priceless, because it's free approval for him or her.

I don't think the Chancellor will actually do anything, but this serves as a useful reminder to the players and the League to hurry along in negotiations.

I'm linking it here as an example of how this has snowballed into a bit of a PR disaster for the club, much like how the media is piling in and even our American fans are unhappy. I don't expect the club to listen to the fans, but maybe if they see how bad the PR is, they might reverse course?

With no new revenue incoming for the best part of 6 months and probably longer, PR, good or bad, really is the least of our worries.

Back