• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Sorry read like it, There are going to be terrible financial problems for many after this, but losing friends and family of any ages cannot be weighed against money what ever the smart arses (I don't mean you) think.
What about weighing it against not friends and family? The equation becomes very different then.

I'm far from a sadiq Khan fan...I think he is useless, but he earns less per year than premier league footballers earn in a week. His salary is public information

To me this reinforces introspection and logic over 'hard' science. Modeling tells us little during the event (is more useful retrospectively). And it is just a formalisation of logic. Putting numbers to logical projections. Rather than the other way around. We can learn more from case studies, and seeing how the virus is in ourselves and those around us.

The likelihood is this virus does not have a fatality rate far off flu (it may actually be lower than flu). Nothing remotely close to the WHO's 3.6%! But this is not to belittle Coronavirus. It is a mass killer. More so than common flu. Because it sticks around. It takes a long time to affect people, and they probably take a long time to fully recover. Most people can have the virus and continue life as normal - making it spread at unprecedented levels. The author of the article has a cough, which he attributes to a morning run. On what scientific basis is he doing that? Running does not make you cough! From what we know about this virus, most healthy people have little more than a tickling cough, and some fatigue, quite possibly after exerting themselves. An that is the real killer. Healthy people spread the virus for weeks and weeks.

Why some get it bad is also fascinating. Why in rare cases does it cause a fatality? It may have something to do with exposure to other types of undramatic coronavirus that have passed through populations in the past either immunising, or the opposite rendering people more vulnerable to this 19 version. Both are possible.

The response has been plenty good enough. Being constantly ready for something like this would cost a fortune and be entirely wasted for 99 years out if every 100.

As with all these things, everyone thinks we should have it but nobody is willing to pay the extra taxes to pay for it.

Too many people trying to turn this into a political advantage.

I agree.

Also i wound up in the hospital with the damn virus, probably due to the fact i had had chemo the previous month.

Not a supporter of the government, did not vote for them but have to say they have done fairly well over this.

Lessons will be learnt going forward but as it was such a once in a lifetime thing any mistakes i can let go.

I agree.

Also i wound up in the hospital with the damn virus, probably due to the fact i had had chemo the previous month.

Not a supporter of the government, did not vote for them but have to say they have done fairly well over this.

Lessons will be learnt going forward but as it was such a once in a lifetime thing any mistakes i can let go.

You weren't on a ventilator, were you? What was the ward like?

How are you feeling now!?

You weren't on a ventilator, were you? What was the ward like?

How are you feeling now!?

I had a face mask. The ward was clean but lots of scared looking people, the nurses were ultra efficient and on it, also took time to sit with me as I guess they could see I was kind of bricking it.

Not to bad, feeling a little tired and my throat is croaky. But im a cyclist and have been following the pros for years how they have serious injuries and get back on it straight away. So I have been building up my cycling again. Did a 15 mile loop on some country roads near me, very quiet around this way. By the weekend I will be cycling in to Brighton and back.

If your not dead you got to live, toughen up and ride. This is my motto.

Always liked your style. Sounds like you're on the mend. Don't overdo it! Gentle cycle an all that.

Even on my short cycle route to work, I find following someone else on a bike makes things much easier especially when windy. Is that cheating?

The response has been plenty good enough. Being constantly ready for something like this would cost a fortune and be entirely wasted for 99 years out if every 100.

As with all these things, everyone thinks we should have it but nobody is willing to pay the extra taxes to pay for it.

Too many people trying to turn this into a political advantage.

I said the same the other day and its sad that some are trying to do just that.

To me this reinforces introspection and logic over 'hard' science. Modeling tells us little during the event (is more useful retrospectively). And it is just a formalisation of logic. Putting numbers to logical projections. Rather than the other way around. We can learn more from case studies, and seeing how the virus is in ourselves and those around us.

The likelihood is this virus does not have a fatality rate far off flu (it may actually be lower than flu). Nothing remotely close to the WHO's 3.6%! But this is not to belittle Coronavirus. It is a mass killer. More so than common flu. Because it sticks around. It takes a long time to affect people, and they probably take a long time to fully recover. Most people can have the virus and continue life as normal - making it spread at unprecedented levels. The author of the article has a cough, which he attributes to a morning run. On what scientific basis is he doing that? Running does not make you cough! From what we know about this virus, most healthy people have little more than a tickling cough, and some fatigue, quite possibly after exerting themselves. An that is the real killer. Healthy people spread the virus for weeks and weeks.

Why some get it bad is also fascinating. Why in rare cases does it cause a fatality? It may have something to do with exposure to other types of undramatic coronavirus that have passed through populations in the past either immunising, or the opposite rendering people more vulnerable to this 19 version. Both are possible.
It certainly is interesting.

Have they ever studied 'normal' flu and whether people have that asymptomatically? I do we just not bother with that kind of research.?

It certainly is interesting.

Have they ever studied 'normal' flu and whether people have that asymptomatically? I do we just not bother with that kind of research.?

Sure. Some people get taken down badly by common flu, while others have much lighter symptoms.

Keeping your body well-rested and well-nourished has to be sensible. Goodness knows how people survived these things 100 years back, malnourished.

Sure. Some people get taken down badly by common flu, while others have much lighter symptoms.

Keeping your body well-rested and well-nourished has to be sensible. Goodness knows how people survived these things 100 years back, malnourished.

50 million dead in the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic - so, answer is lots of them unfortunately didn’t.

Back