• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52087002

A breathing aid that can help keep coronavirus patients out of intensive care has been created in under a week.

University College London engineers worked with clinicians at UCLH and Mercedes Formula One to build the device, which delivers oxygen to the lungs without needing a ventilator.

Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) devices are already used in hospitals but are in short supply.

China and Italy used them to help Covid-19 patients.

Forty of the new devices have been delivered to ULCH and to three other London hospitals. If trials go well, up to 1,000 of the CPAP machines can be produced per day by Mercedes-AMG-HPP, beginning in a week's time.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has already given its approval for their use.

Ventilator consortium
Meanwhile a consortium of UK industrial, technology and engineering businesses in the UK has come together to produce medical ventilators for the NHS.

The "VentilatorChallengeUK" consortium includes Airbus, BAE Systems, Ford, Rolls-Royce and Siemens.

Companies in the consortium have received orders for more than 10,000 ventilators from the government, although MHRA approval is still pending.

Production is due to begin next week.

dingdong Elsy, chief executive of High Value Manufacturing Catapult, said: "This consortium brings together some of the most innovative companies in the world.

"They are working together with incredible determination and energy to scale up production of much-needed ventilators and combat a virus that is affecting people in many countries."

I agree that on the surface this sounds appalling. But not dissimilar to the EU case, I'd suggest further questions need asking before rushing to condemn the UK government.

For example, did the company follow up their initial communication to the government? How long did they wait for a response? Under what terms did they go on to sell the ventilators abroad? And, had they heard the government's blanket commitment to the effect of 'if you have ventilators, we will buy them'?

Yep I am not 100% that I believe the story as a flat, they were offered and the government didn't respond. Not when the government are working with people to meet demand.

If you think how the best course of protective measures fits into the day to day life of India....it's going to be horrific.

its v.sad to think what will happen in some areas of the world. part of me thinks it may just be better to go on with daily life in those places, and if lives are lost, so be it. i'm not convinced at all that quarantining will actually save more lives long term - daily wage earners have nothing to fall back on, and they will either die of hunger, or more likely, the crime that follows a period of quarantining.

its v.sad to think what will happen in some areas of the world. part of me thinks it may just be better to go on with daily life in those places, and if lives are lost, so be it. i'm not convinced at all that quarantining will actually save more lives long term - daily wage earners have nothing to fall back on, and they will either die of hunger, or more likely, the crime that follows a period of quarantining.

Fiar point. We and Itally have an aging population where as some developing nations are more biased towards the young? You wonder if this had occurred in the UK 50 years ago, what would have happened?

Fiar point. We and Itally have an aging population where as some developing nations are more biased towards the young? You wonder if this had occurred in the UK 50 years ago, what would have happened?

Life would have continued largely as normal and hundreds of thousands would have died.

Ventilator consortium
Meanwhile a consortium of UK industrial, technology and engineering businesses in the UK has come together to produce medical ventilators for the NHS.
Production is due to begin next week.

dingdong Elsy, chief executive of High Value Manufacturing Catapult, said: "This consortium brings together some of the most innovative companies in the world.

"They are working together with incredible determination and energy to scale up production of much-needed ventilators and combat a virus that is affecting people in many countries."

Reading the wider article and then coming across this in the middle of it made me LOL...

Life would have continued largely as normal and hundreds of thousands would have died.

Yeh thats likely to have happened. Even 10 years ago there would have been alot less done and more lives lost.

Saying that I am going to be hugely intrigued to how Swedens stats compare to similar countries that lock down. They believe the same lives would be lost locking down to not or the difference would be negligible and not have to give up on life.

I won’t be claiming the paye element arising from my company as I have earnings outside the company which puts me out of scope as I understand it.

The point I am trying to make is that it must be a flipping headache for book keeping accountancy firms right now- seeing their clients businesses under duress.

Spare a thought for Merson's dealer how are they going to cope?

They need to be kicked out of the EU

72% voted for it...

Hungary is given a bad press in the UK, primarily because they don't sugar coat things in flowery language to be polite. (Not being 100% straightforward is considered rude there) However, a huge proportion of people that live there are extremely happy with the government and quality of life improvements the past 50 years.

I travel there a lot and it's a lovely country.

[That 5 year + 8 year in prison is misleading. That's essentially a worse case for businesses that are continually warned but ignore guidance - it's not for Joe Bloggs pops out for some Goulash]

Last edited:
72% voted for it...

Hungary is given a bad press in the UK, primarily because they don't sugar coat things in flowery language to be polite. (Not being 400% straightforward is considered rude there) However, a huge proportion of people that live there are extremely happy with the government and quality of life improvements the past 50 years.

I travel there a lot and it's a lovely country.

[That 5 year + 8 year in prison is misleading. That's essentially a worse case for businesses that are continually warned but ignore guidance - it's not for Joe Bloggs pops out for some Goulash]
Hungary deserves all the bad press it gets.

Back