• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

There are lots of countries in East and SE Asia where people do things like eat bats that have nowhere near as much censorship as China does. Most of these videos of 'Chinese eating bat soup' are actually filmed in countries like Indonesia or Polynesian Islands.

I mean in France they eat Frogs and force feeds Geese with a feeding tube to eat their livers. H1N1 in 2009 originated from either Mexico or the USA and the 1918 flu most likely came from Europe or North America. Its not unique to China.

Perhaps the best thing to come out of this worldwide will be that we start to actually improve sanitation standards for the animals that we eat. I doubt it though and I imagine that unfortunately once the heat reduces, China will restart the disgusting wet markets.

This is I guess where our responses differ. Rather than sitting here moaning about where it started, allowing a PH disaster to unfold (ie USA) I'd rather we have just gotten on with it and helped keep it under control like Singapore and Taiwan have. And considering we live in an open society and our government is responsible for us, as opposed to Xi, I'd rather focus my efforts on what we can actually influence.

Similarly to those who are just criticising as a reflex, I imagine there are some who are happy with the response now who would not be so if another party were in power.

Perhaps that's just my cynicism though.

If people saw what was standard hygiene practice (ie Red Tractor Approved) in British slaughterhouses and factory farms, they wouldn't be so quick to judge the Far East on their hygiene practices (or would do so only to mask the hypocrisy of it). The places in this country that have been exposed shut down for a week and are then given the seal of approval by DEFRA and Red Tractor to continue churning out diseased and artificially modified dead animal flesh and their secretions to the public.

I also don't recall Asian people attacking British citizens in their region during the BSE outbreak, or Americans being attacked during the H1N1 outbreak. I haven't researcheed into this though so may be mistaken.

Last edited:
One of the things I admire and enjoy seeing most in CZ is how the historic communist shackles are being thrown off. You can see it directly in the replacement of old buildings - especially in Moravia in my experience.

Some of the old habits die hard though. Being sticklers for rules and having a very proscriptive legal environment shoe that heavily. There's also still a strong distance between workers and management - something that's taken our company nearly 10 years to break down.

The newer buildings in Prague have already taken on varying new looks, within the limits for UNESCO, but still lots of the old style communist remain in the suburbs although it is changing. Mind you I do hate the v-tower with a passion, just ugly and seemed stupid to be built where it is - plus it spoils my view from office :)
I can't pass comment on the worker/boss scenarios, I have been with this company for ten years now and majority of the evenings we're out with senior management for a few beers and there hasn't been much them n us at all. But this may be more to do with being in Prague than Moravia.

All of the respect of authority makes it far easier for the govt to get people to behave in a way that the UK govt simply couldn't do. We're not collective thinking people here - haven't been since the mid 70s (and even that was a hangover of WW2 measures).

Respect for understanding why it was need yes, but for some of the members then not so much. Only last year we had the largest gatherings since the velvet revolution to demand Babis quits. But you are right in that there is very much more a sense of collectiveness here.

Yet the public was very quick and almost entirely uniform in its obedience to the message to stay at home (at least in the areas I have contact with). That's a big difference to the UK. I had to go out and get some weed killer this morning - everyone in the queue for the store was complaining that we couldn't just go in and go about our business.

Brits love to complain about anything :)
Although a lot of it about covid I'd say is not understanding the fuss because many believe that it is just the flu, there is no full understanding of the implications involved with this thing currently and until they are directly/indirectly affected by it (the virus) then they will not understand. As soon as they are, the light bulb flicks on.

Yes, we took heed and stayed in. Does it make us subservient to do so or just understanding and realising that for a time we need to be careful?
I'd rather limit my possible exposure and avoid the chance to pass something on to someone that would make them very ill or potentially kill them, or even catch it myself.

You can always send it this way.
Or just open that pub where you serve yourselves and go up on a leader-board against the other cities - you'd be rid of it all in a night!

Hehehe, not a chance :), besides judging from the examples seen in the centre many an evening it looks like it is too strong for a lot of you.
Aaah yes, "The Pub" spent a few nights in there in the past and ashamed to say (or maybe pride) that we've topped the table a few times :D

The newer buildings in Prague have already taken on varying new looks, within the limits for UNESCO, but still lots of the old style communist remain in the suburbs although it is changing. Mind you I do hate the v-tower with a passion, just ugly and seemed stupid to be built where it is - plus it spoils my view from office :)
I can't pass comment on the worker/boss scenarios, I have been with this company for ten years now and majority of the evenings we're out with senior management for a few beers and there hasn't been much them n us at all. But this may be more to do with being in Prague than Moravia.

Respect for understanding why it was need yes, but for some of the members then not so much. Only last year we had the largest gatherings since the velvet revolution to demand Babis quits. But you are right in that there is very much more a sense of collectiveness here.

Brits love to complain about anything :)
Although a lot of it about covid I'd say is not understanding the fuss because many believe that it is just the flu, there is no full understanding of the implications involved with this thing currently and until they are directly/indirectly affected by it (the virus) then they will not understand. As soon as they are, the light bulb flicks on.

Yes, we took heed and stayed in. Does it make us subservient to do so or just understanding and realising that for a time we need to be careful?
I'd rather limit my possible exposure and avoid the chance to pass something on to someone that would make them very ill or potentially kill them, or even catch it myself.

Hehehe, not a chance :), besides judging from the examples seen in the centre many an evening it looks like it is too strong for a lot of you.
Aaah yes, "The Pub" spent a few nights in there in the past and ashamed to say (or maybe pride) that we've topped the table a few times :D
Yeah, we do save our very best for sending over to Prague - delightful bunch aren't they?

These are the words of the editor of the Lancet at the end of January:

He is probably the loudest and most qualified critic of the government's actions. There's some very selective amnesia going on amongst those who simply want to criticise the government, no matter what.

He came across as very pompous on question time the other day.

He seems to like the sound of his own voice. That first tweet was sensible but he has made up for lost time since (see Hootnow's post).

This man was on the wrong side of the Wakefield (MMR and autism) and Meadow (SIDS and cot deaths) affairs. He was the editor that published the paper linking MMR vaccines with autism. That was not his fault per se, but he was then very slow in retracting the paper, allowing the link to become well established in the public mind. He published an article supporting Roy Meadow when he was about to be struck off for giving extremely dubious "expert" testimony (based on faulty statistics) at the trials of women accused of killing their children.

It seems to me he likes publicity and attention, quick to take a contrarian view, which might explain him variously criticising those in panic mode and then criticising those not panicking.

Last edited:
So what else is new?

A couple of weeks back I was hearing people vehemently criticising a certain foreign government for a certain action they'd taken in response to this crisis, then in the next breath criticising Johnson just as vehemently for not doing that very same thing.

If nothing else I'm getting a crash course on how to filter out those for whom such an agenda overrides all else.

Its sad really, we are facing a situation that i have never seen in my life time and it seems some are more interested in making opinions on what as you says points towards agendas.

This has took every country by surprise and the results are awful but some seem to want to blame the people who are in power. Political bias should not be important at this time with all the deaths we are facing and it really is shocking that some may be using it that way.

These are the words of the editor of the Lancet at the end of January:

He is probably the loudest and most qualified critic of the government's actions. There's some very selective amnesia going on amongst those who simply want to criticise the government, no matter what.

Horton should have no creditability after publishing the Wakefield paper and not retracting until 12 years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancet_MMR_autism_fraud

You can lay a lot of the blame about the rise of the anti vax movement at Horton's door.

He should realise he is just a journo at this stage and is far removed from medicine.

Its sad really, we are facing a situation that i have never seen in my life time and it seems some are more interested in making opinions on what as you says points towards agendas.

This has took every country by surprise and the results are awful but some seem to want to blame the people who are in power. Political bias should not be important at this time with all the deaths we are facing and it really is shocking that some may be using it that way.

Yep I agree, I get that people want the best for everyone but that’s not possible in the real world.

Horton should have no creditability after publishing the Wakefield paper and not retracting until 12 years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancet_MMR_autism_fraud

You can lay a lot of the blame about the rise of the anti vax movement at Horton's door.

He should realise he is just a journo at this stage and is far removed from medicine.

@scaramanga why are you liking this when you've tried to use him as a credible source to back your sick, hyper-capitalist, sociopathic arguments? You're a total fraud.

@scaramanga why are you liking this when you've tried to use him as a credible source to back your sick, hyper-capitalist, sociopathic arguments? You're a total fraud.
My post criticised him for making whatever pronouncements suited him at the time.

I'd translate the post for you but I don't have one of those shirts without sleeves or any brick beer handy ;)

My mates been called back to London by Met from Liverpool. Saying his goodbyes to family for what looks like a few months.

Looking like extra lock downs and criminalise the rebels flouting the rules

Back