• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

Levy has accountability mate, the question is why don't people accept

e.g. our implosion at the bridge when we had that PL opportunity, our failure to turn up against Pool in CL final, our numerous failure at SF or final level have very little to do with spending.

Poch was very good with getting us close (top 2-3 to your point) consistently but seemed to completely bust when it came to those "moments" those one or two chances to make us the best (I believe on the day for two years we were the best team in PL, just seemingly never the "right" day)

After that game at the bridge i posted that we blew it with our attitude and completly lost it, i took stick for saying that and also for saying the team had not got a winners mentality ( which starts at the managers door). As you say we had a team which was as good as the teams that beat us in those BIG games but never crossed the finishing line.

As i said we had players who were good enough to have won things on a skill level but lacked that final piece of the jigsaw. I dare some will still disagree with that but the proof is in the pudding.

Sorry for cutting your post down to the above, i can agree with some of what you said in the parts i have not quoted.

However the bit i have quoted is just not true, you only have to read some of the posts on here to see that and on other forums/media he is always being slagged of by some. Thankfully most of that has/had stopped over the last few years because even those who never liked what he does had to see the progress we have made under him.

Sadly a few of them have stuck their heads up again and blaming him for not doing what THEY want. As i have said many times before he is not without faults/mistakes ( no one is) but the way some slate him is embarassing to most fans i know.

Apologies, that was my mistake with poor wording.

I didn't mean this world that we current inhabit. I meant in the world some of our fans inhabit in their heads where every single good thing comes down to Levy and every single bad thing or mistake comes down to our manager/ DoF/ other chairmen moving posts at the last minute (a favourite it seems of Spurs fans when explaining why we haven't finalised a specific deal).

And yes, I also know that there are some idiots who think in the opposite way and think all he and ENIC do is crap, which is just the biggest pile of BS ever.

Incidentally, rather than quoting your other post, I'll just say I agree your 'battle of the bridge' analysis. Some of our fans seemed to delight in that match afterwards. We'd already lost the league before that match but we bottled that match and then lost our heads completely. I didn't see much positive in that match. I saw a bunch of petulant kids not getting what they wanted and reacting with a temper tantrum. We were 2-0 up if I remember correctly? What a fudging shambles.

Apologies, that was my mistake with poor wording.

I didn't mean this world that we current inhabit. I meant in the world some of our fans inhabit in their heads where every single good thing comes down to Levy and every single bad thing or mistake comes down to our manager/ DoF/ other chairmen moving posts at the last minute (a favourite it seems of Spurs fans when explaining why we haven't finalised a specific deal).

And yes, I also know that there are some idiots who think in the opposite way and think all he and ENIC do is crap, which is just the biggest pile of BS ever.

Incidentally, rather than quoting your other post, I'll just say I agree your 'battle of the bridge' analysis. Some of our fans seemed to delight in that match afterwards. We'd already lost the league before that match but we bottled that match and then lost our heads completely. I didn't see much positive in that match. I saw a bunch of petulant kids not getting what they wanted and reacting with a temper tantrum. We were 2-0 up if I remember correctly? What a fudging shambles.
We have always struggled in crunch games
We always struggle when we have a chance to overtake a team too
Until that mindset changes it will never happen
I hate pool with a passion but their fans believe everything will work at that clubs even when it’s all going wrong. If we had a quarter of that belief in our club we would win things. Poch did IMO bring a lot of that but just not enough to get us over the line which is so frustrating. Win that CL final and his season would be very very different

The issue is nett spend is being used to argue he wasn’t backed
I’d argue he spent £400m on players in his time here so he was backed
The issue is or was that a lot of those players volume wise flopped and propel then say that’s not his fault... but of course he is culpable at least in part as he was in the decision tree to buy those players
And as I highlighted the other night we actually have 14 players here’s out of the 27 bought under Poch so he did mould his squad significantly
And the other flip side to net spend is how many of the players we sold under Poch were Poch players vs how many were here already or we’re youth team ones we made a big profit on... most is the answer
So if over the next 5 years we give Mourinho £400 million to spend but force him to recoup £280 million of that in sales then you would feel that Mourinho has been adequately backed and should be winning the big trophies?

So if over the next 5 years we give Mourinho £400 million to spend but force him to recoup £280 million of that in sales then you would feel that Mourinho has been adequately backed and should be winning the big trophies?
If he so selling youth team players for that much money and of course the lesser players he doesn’t and doesn’t play then that’s fine

it’s not like we were forced to sell first team players that the friend coach didn’t want is it? well walker claims Poch binned him off and I believe Poch said the opposite but there you go
pretty sure everyone else was deemed surplus to requirements and no one was sold without Poch approval

What makes you think we couldnt readily recoup £280 million on players Mourinho deems surplus? Lloris, Gazza, Aurier, Foyth, Rose, Lamela, Moura,Sissoko, maybe one of Winks/Skipp/Dier, even perhaps Ndombele and Sessegnon. We certainly have plenty of fat, even before you start getting into our big beasts.

What makes you think we couldnt readily recoup £280 million on players Mourinho deems surplus? Lloris, Gazza, Aurier, Foyth, Rose, Lamela, Moura,Sissoko, maybe one of Winks/Skipp/Dier, even perhaps Ndombele and Sessegnon. We certainly have plenty of fat, even before you start getting into our big hunks of burning love.
I reckon even selling all 13 of those wouldn't bring in that much.... £200 million at best I'd say.

We don’t need to sell a lot of players
We need to sell players who aren’t able to play (lamela) or ones who don’t for anymore (Foyth)
Add in players who aren’t competent at the basics of the role like Aurier and add in Rose that’s possibly £50m

add that onto what the clubs already earned and we will have similar money to spend as this season although invisibly they COVID impact is unknown right know but could be BIG

What makes you think we couldnt readily recoup £280 million on players Mourinho deems surplus? Lloris, Gazza, Aurier, Foyth, Rose, Lamela, Moura,Sissoko, maybe one of Winks/Skipp/Dier, even perhaps Ndombele and Sessegnon. We certainly have plenty of fat, even before you start getting into our big hunks of burning love.

The easy sacrifice is Dele to push the numbers up if you really wanted to.

We don’t need to sell a lot of players
We need to sell players who aren’t able to play (lamela) or ones who don’t for anymore (Foyth)
Add in players who aren’t competent at the basics of the role like Aurier and add in Rose that’s possibly £50m

add that onto what the clubs already earned and we will have similar money to spend as this season although invisibly they COVID impact is unknown right know but could be BIG
Lamela.... what? £17m? Foyth.. £10m? Rose £8m? Aurier? £15m.. I guess that is only one and a half first team players out though. Add KWP to that for another £8 to £10m and we could sign Atal, Bogle and Willian on a free and be better for it. Or Dumfries instead of Atal and there’s money left over for Robin K0ch at centre half, add Kuzawa on a free for our left back and we’re only swapping Dier for a capable DM and a back up CF away from being decent again.

I like it.... now how do we manage to swap Dier for a decent DM and back up CF in a similar way?

Last edited:
Lamela.... what? £17m? Foyth.. £10m? Rose £8m? Aurier? £15m.. I guess that is only one and a half first team players out though. Add KWP to that for another £8 to £10m and we could sign Atal, Bogle and Willian on a free and be better for it. Or Dumfries instead of Atal and there’s money left over for Robin K0ch at centre half, add Kuzawa on a free for our left back and we’re only swapping Dier for a capable DM and a back up CF away from being decent again.

I like it.... now how do we manage to swap Dier for a decent DM and back up CF in a similar way?

Well Dier will now be a CB and we will see how that turns out

Poch has been linked in the last few days

we need 4 or 5 in
Full backs, a DM if Jose wants one and a back up striker who can play as a starter

I think we may see Eyoma come though as CB next season (no idea if there will be summer football)

I’m it’s not mega work but there will need to be juggling

Well Dier will now be a CB and we will see how that turns out

Poch has been linked in the last few days

we need 4 or 5 in
Full backs, a DM if Jose wants one and a back up striker who can play as a starter

I think we may see Eyoma come though as CB next season (no idea if there will be summer football)

I’m it’s not mega work but there will need to be juggling
CF Giroud on a free? Leaves our entire budget for a DM.

easy this DoF lark eh?

CF Giroud on a free? Leaves our entire budget for a DM.

easy this DoF lark eh?
There is younger and better options out there
Isak could become brilliant from what I’ve seen but his buy out may have changed
Muriqi could progress nicely and would be a real handful for teams here
Both should cost £20/£30m and both would love to play for a cub like ours so would have the hunger needed to play second fiddle at times

P1y8ny.gif

Best manager I've ever supported. For more than just results or brilliant on pitch performances. He totally rebuilt our culture and the feeling around the place. That can't be ignored.

Hey I love Poch
But the guy was fallible and in particular when it come to signing off accepting players that in retrospect he wasn’t happy with (all depends who people choose to believe).
I think he will have come away from here with so much more knowledge and experience to help him next time
People forget he was a young manager
I think though he may have learnt from that even while at Spurs as he stopped doing that in the last couple of years. In his first few years when he didn’t get his first choice targets he took the inferior options that the club could afford or Levy could land after bartering, but from January 2018 that stopped and it became his player or no player.

Levy has accountability mate, the question is why don't people accept

e.g. our implosion at the bridge when we had that PL opportunity, our failure to turn up against Pool in CL final, our numerous failure at SF or final level have very little to do with spending.

Poch was very good with getting us close (top 2-3 to your point) consistently but seemed to completely bust when it came to those "moments" those one or two chances to make us the best (I believe on the day for two years we were the best team in PL, just seemingly never the "right" day)
Actually losses in semi finals and finals do have something to do with spending. These matches come at the end of seasons when squads are stretched and the smaller the size of a squad the more fatigued it is likely to be. Generally (maybe even always?) we lost those semis and finals to teams with a bigger wage and transfer budget, hence a team with a deeper pool of quality. We also won a couple of semis under Poch, I expect both we’re against teams with a lower budget than us? (Ajax is one, who was the other?)

Last edited:
Because it's when it matters, we tripped .. somehow the squad issues, lack of investment, refresh didn't kill us when we were "challenging" or in early cup rounds, but when it came to the one game that mattered, we fell on our face.

Btw, as @scaramanga points out, Klopp for a long time had the same issue.
Probably always losing to opposition that had more investment and therefore the better and deeper squad. I think the only time that may not be the case was Liverpool’s loss to Seville in the Europa final.

Back