• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Each business is unique. Some may need reserves for expansion or to maintain cash flow. Just depends on the business. One thing is for sure, though companies may be able to pay people for half a year with no income, they won't. Scara won't, no company will. If people are not working, companies won't be paying them for long. They will hold any cash reserves rather than spend it on wages for people who are not working.

What is statutory sick pay? About £100 a week? It is not enough for most people. Therefore I don't think lockdown can last for more than a month or two.

Yeh suppose you are right. I am lucky where I work that the asset are the people so everyone is being kept on and contracts retained.

But even then with that amount of investment "on paper" you could cover the losses? No?
Incredibly unlikely. For many companies, labour costs are >50% of turnover. Cash reserves of more than a couple of months of this would not satisfy investors.

If there were ready buyers for assets then businesses could generate cash, but when everyone's in the same boat where do the buyers come from?

Each business is unique. Some may need reserves for expansion or to maintain cash flow. Just depends on the business. One thing is for sure, though companies may be able to pay people for half a year with no income, they won't. Scara won't, no company will. If people are not working, companies won't be paying them for long. They will hold any cash reserves rather than spend it on wages for people who are not working.

What is statutory sick pay? About £100 a week? It is not enough for most people. Therefore I don't think lockdown can last for more than a month or two.
SSP wouldn't even cover my car payments for a month - it would barely buy a pair of shoes.

In principle I’d be very in favour of government temporarily hiking income tax and using the revenue to pay the wages of struggling businesses. Effectively replicating the money that we’d be spending on these businesses if there was no virus. My fiancée and I earn about £160k combined (mostly her!), and are pretty safe in our jobs - I’d be more than happy to help out the rest of society that are struggling through no fault of their own.

I’d imagine it would be very difficult to manage in practice though, in terms of deciding how much to give to each business. Maybe better to have companies lay off staff that aren’t needed to maintain their businesses through the lean times, and have government just pay those laid off people?

Eventually all of Europe is gonna have to under curfew.
Why? Here in Germany we have all no essential shops closed, schools closed etc.
People told only to make essential journeys.
But the weather is good for the first time in months and people are everywhere outside.
It's a big holiday. Trains packed, parks packed. Public barbecues everywhere.

The only way to stop it is to have the military on the streets like in Italy and Spain.
All because people are idiots and wont listen to advise. They know best. It's not gonna affect them and they don't care about spreading it.

This chap would disagree. It’s an interesting take.

Hope you are feeling better.

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Israeli-nobel-laureate-Coronavirus-spread-is-slowing-621145

Surely the main thing (or at least a major factor) causing the slowing is the extreme isolation / quarantine that is taking place though?!

Interesting point about only 20% catching it on the diamond princess though. Would be interested to learn more about how much contact everyone had before enforced isolation kicked in.

Cafe outside my house rammed with OAPs having lunch. More loud laughter than usual like they are out on a jolly.

This is a bit of a silly thing to do right? or am I taking the government instructions too seriously?
Unfortunately they'll catch it soon and be cared for by the NHS while it's still able to cope. The old bugger who has self isolated but catches it in a months time when he pops down the shops to buy some milk will be the one who suffers because by then the NHS will be at or past breaking point

I heard from a couple of normally reliable people with good connections.

That a london Lockdown is imminent (next 2-3 days) and the army will be involved.

Back