• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Why do you support Spurs?

In middle school I was asked who would win the World Cup. At the age of 10, I barely knew anything about football and had only heard of Liverpool, so that was my reply, ‘Liverpool’. The other kids laughed at me. I took it upon myself to learn a lot about football and so it was that World Cup 1990 was my first real introduction to football and I became obsessive about it. I watched England’s matches. I listened to other matches on the radio. When England lost on penalties to West Germany, as it then was, I cried my eyes out. My transformation to a football supporter was complete.
As my Dad is a Tottenham supporter, that swayed my hand in my choice to support the club. That coupled with Lineker and Gascoigne being stars of the World Cup and Spurs players at the time.
It started so well too with us winning the FA Cup in my first year supporting us. Little did I know that that would be the last time that we would win the FA Cup in a very long time. We also beat Arsenal in my first live match. Paul Allen scoring the winner in a 1-0 win. I remember Ian Wright punching David Howells in that same match and somehow getting away with it.

Yeah it was the 80s
Hooligans were ripe and there was no segregation I think (I was 4)
I vividly remember not being tall enough to reach the stainless tees urinals very well and my dad talking to my uncle who was a Liverpool fan... I pull my spurs shorts up and some kid probably 8 years old in full pool kit comes over and punches me twice in the face and the ran off to his dad

I got interested in football around 81-82.
My older brother was a Liverpool fan, so I couldn't pick them.
Ipswich were good at the time, so I was veering strongly towards Ipswich for a while.
But then with the FA Cup in 81 and 82 and the UEFA Cup in 84, with Hoddle the star man in our team... I chose Spurs ahead of Ipswich.

Thank f**k for that!
You lot are moaning about Spurs' fortunes, imagine being a fan of Ipswich or 50 other brick clubs

Somewhere in the mid 80s at the age of 5 or 6 I picked them. I don't remember the event. My much older siblings supported Liverpool and Chelsea. I suspect I was allowed to pick Tottenham because they weren't United or Everton. I remember watching The Big Match on ITV in 86. We were playing Liverpool and I already supported Spurs by then. I remember not being allowed to stay home to watch the 87 cup final and being brought shopping instead. I bring that up once a year now.

1970, aged 8. Coming from NI something about Pat Jennings, rather than George Best. Don't know why, I've never been a goal keeper. I could have been a United fan like every other fudger over here. Glad I'm not, never red!
Alan Mullery his goal against West Germany, I'm not English, but they are my second International team after NI and we weren't in Mexico '70. Also collecting Esso World Cup coins, with Mullery's coin being one of them, can't really remember. Finally got to say hello to Mullers before a Fulham match a few years ago, when they say never meet your heroes, they are probably right...
TTID!

My Dad took me to Porto (H) in the Cup Winners Cup in 1991. Was hooked from then on.

He also told me his first game was a 6-2 thrashing of someone at home in the late 50s. He died 10 years ago so I never got to ask him who it was against. I remember him saying he was “hooked” also.

29-Mar-1958 Division 1 34,102 H Aston Villa W 6 - 2 Medwin (2), Smith R (4)

My grandad introduced me in the late '60s as a young lad to Spurs, despite raising sons who were Liverpool and Southampton fans. My Mom, his daughter, would take me from Bangor to Belfast to regularly visit their home on weekends. Sat at his feet in the drawing room, fireplace keeping us cosy, and watched Spurs with him on a B&W set. He knew every player and could go into great detail about each of them. I was hooked. Needless to say, Danny Blanchflower was a GHod who walked among us mere mortals.

Many years passed, and he too, and it was 1979 and we were over from Canada, where we now lived, for a summer-long visit, my last before starting university. My brother and I had a friend working in London in the hotel business and we all planned to head to Knebworth to see what would prove to be the final headlining concert for Led Zeppelin. John Bonham died in the months that followed. But it was an amazing concert.

While in London, we were able to stay for free in unbooked hotel rooms that our pal lined up for us. A concierge had tickets available to football matches. I had a choice of attending games at Stamford Bridge, Upton Park or White Hart Lane. No brainer for me. Went on my own to WHL, fell in with a great bunch of rowdy roosterneys, drank beer, laughed my ass off and had the time of my life. This was me hooked for good.

Two years later, I'm standing on a chair in a downtown Toronto pub, waving the scarf I bought on that visit and loudly cheering on Spurs as they win the '81 FA Cup on that Ricky Villa goal.

Below me, trying to maintain a straight face, is a lovely young French Canadian lass, room mate of a girl I was casually dating, whom I invited along for fun. She was having second thoughts looking at me up on the chair twirling the scarf but loved the conviction I showed. We married eight years later and are still happily wed today.

Me, Spurs and ma belle femme Louise. We go a long way back. Going a long way forward, too. She'll be there when we visit the new WHL someday soon.

Dad for me as well.
He came to London from Ireland in the late fifties. Spent a lot of time living in Tottenham and working in and around Tottenham and north London. He met my mum (also over from Ireland) and they were married in Tottenham. Dad would go to both Spurs and, with his brother-in-law who lived in Highbury, Woolwich. But it was Spurs that he enjoyed watching and considered himself a Spurs fan. (So glad for the side of the family I am in!)
By the time I came along they’d moved out to Hertfordshire. I don’t recall him ever going to matches as I was growing up but he would follow Spurs’ results and talk about them. Then in 1976 when I was 10 we had family friends from Wales staying with us over Christmas and Dad randomly decided that it would be a good idea to go the football on Boxing Day (in fact as I realised in later years it was Dec 27th, not Boxing Day itself). So my Dad, his friend, friend’s son and I went to what was my first match, the Spurs v Woolwich game.
I’ve a few memories of the game and day but not too many (2-2 draw. Willie Young kicking out and getting sent off. Mass player brawl). One thing that I do weirdly remember very clearly is in the car on the way there my Dad’s friend asking me who my favourite player was, and me answering Glenn Hoddle. I have no idea how I knew enough to answer the question but I guess I must have heard about him from Dad and seen him on TV highlights.

There have been many ups and downs since then (or more accurately perhaps downs and ups, seeing as we were relegated that first season) but never any regrets over who I came to support.

Unfortunately my younger brother missed the Tottenham gene and has ended up supporting Liverpool. Fortunately his boy snapped out of that allegiance as soon as he went to school and is now a Spurs ST holder with me. I think my Dad would be pleased with that.

Great thread.
I've been thinking about this quite a lot recently because of one thing and another.
This is a question I've been asked a lot over the last few years, and obviously with the new stadium and relative success spurs have been a hot topic.

When I was a kid if about 6 or 7 and like every kid of the time football mad, (about 74/75) I over heard my dad talking about the best team he had ever seen, the spurs double winning side.
He had been a rangers supporter in the merchant navy and passed through London returning from a voyage (makes him sound like sinbad) when spurs had played rangers in Europe, so he saw both legs.
I still recall hearing him say it, and I stored that away and became a spurs supporter.
It may seem strange to some now but back then there was very little about English football in the Scottish press, spurs barely a side note, and match of the day was, well a match.
The F A cup and European games were about the only live games.
And at that age you didn't really have much of a chance to see or read much. One TV per house, three channels!
It could all have faded away, but then we signed ossie and Ricky, bringing us some more publicity, but most importantly I found Ghod, our saviour.

Stop reading here, the rest is a bit of a cathartic rumble.
Thats the simple side of it, but actually as I get older I realise there's more to it than that.
When I was 6/7 I thought my dad was a GHod, we all do, don't we. But I never saw him much. He worked 7 days a week, two nights late. I have very few memories of him until I was about 12 or 13, and actually realised he's not a GHod, he's actually a bit of an taco.
But be that as it may he gave me somethings that make me what I am, a sense of right and wrong, a strong work ethic and a love of spurs. Things I thought he had, but turns out he only actually had one of them.
Now my dad and I have a very uneasy relationship, and speaking to my two brothers they bear the same scars. My dad worked hard to make a life for us, but sacrificed a hell of a lot, and we don't think any of us have ever rely come terms with it.

I have four very distinct good memories of growing up with my dad,
The story above
Asking me what I wanted for my 13th birthday, a tottenham strip.
Bringing back a spurs hat and scarf from a work trip to london
And going to see the Christopher reeve superman movie.
On my deeper and darker days that's why I think I almost cling to spurs, its something that I have that I can tangibly shared with him, it's makes up for not having him there when I was growing up, a little bit at least.

Well done if you got this far, nearly done :oops:.

Most of my mates growing us had Liverpool as their "second" team and I used to get pelters.
It was actually quite heartening after the Ajax game the amount of them that got in touch with me with good wishes, some I hadn't heard from in ages.
It's been a tough ride at times, but I wouldn't be anything else.

COYS​

Last edited:
Great thread.
I've been thinking about this quite a lot recently because of one thing and another.
This is a question I've been asked a lot over the last few years, and obviously with the new stadium and relative success spurs have been a hot topic.

When I was a kid if about 6 or 7 and like every kid of the time football mad, (about 74/75) I over heard my dad talking about the best team he had ever seen, the spurs double winning side.
He had been a rangers supporter in the merchant navy and passed through London returning from a voyage (makes him sound like sinbad) when spurs had played rangers in Europe, so he saw both legs.
I still recall hearing him say it, and I stored that away and became a spurs supporter.
It may seem strange to some now but back then there was very little about English football in the Scottish press, spurs barely a side note, and match of the day was, well a match.
And at that age you didn't really have much of a chance to see or read much. One TV per house, three channels!
It could all have faded away, but then we signed ossie and Ricky, bringing us some more publicity, but most importantly I found Ghod, our saviour.

Thats the simple side of it, but actually as I get older I realise there's more to it than that.
When I was 6/7 I thought my dad was a GHod, we all do, don't we. But I never saw him much. He worked 7 days a week, two nights late. I have very few memories of him until I was about 12 or 13, and actually realised he's not a GHod, he's actually a bit of an taco.
But be that as it may he gave me somethings that make me what I am, a sense of right and wrong, a strong work ethic and a love of spurs. Things I thought he had, but turns out he only actually had one of them.
Now my dad and I have a very uneasy relationship, and speaking to my two brothers they bear the same scars. My dad worked hard to make a life for us, but sacrificed a hell of a lot, and we don't think any of us have ever rely come terms with it.

The story above
On my deeper and darker days that's why I think I almost cling to spurs, its something that I have that I can tangibly shared with him, it's makes up for not having him there when I was growing up, a little bit at least.

Most of my mates growing us had Liverpool as their "second" team and I used to get pelters.
It was actually quite heartening after the Ajax game the amount of them that got in touch with me with good wishes, some I hadn't heard from in ages.

COYS​

My favourite Scots team were Rangers but I chose them as an act of defiance against our sport teacher who was a rabid Celtic fan along with his pets, always wanted us to sign Jimmy Baxter.

My favourite Scots team were Rangers but I chose them as an act of defiance against our sport teacher who was a rabid Celtic fan along with his pets, always wanted us to sign Jimmy Baxter.

Remember the souness years at ibrox with some angst, gough, Roberts, falco, seemed every time we got a chance of a good team the bugger swooped.

My mate has a great story too. He's from an Irish family, was born in London and most Irish families support United or Liverpool, so he was being swayed that way.

Went to the shop with his parents to buy a Man U shirt, the man told him they had sold out but Look at this shirt.. isn't it pretty? He ended up buying a spurs shirt. He's roughly the same age as me so likely one of the purple away Pony shirts.

Great thread.

The story above

COYS​
Is someone chopping onions in here?

My mate has a great story too. He's from an Irish family, was born in London and most Irish families support United or Liverpool, so he was being swayed that way.

Went to the shop with his parents to buy a Man U shirt, the man told him they had sold out but Look at this shirt.. isn't it pretty? He ended up buying a spurs shirt. He's roughly the same age as me so likely one of the purple away Pony shirts.

When my dad ordered my strip it was from greaves sports, the main sports shop in Glasgow. Because it was the off season it took six weeks to get, manager said he'd worked there for 14 years and that was the first full tottenham strip they had sold.

Back