• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

Just checked and from a rough analysis* we were 7 points better off than our XG would suggest after 19 matches, so 45 rather than 38 (equal to 90 vs 76). So you’re right we were outperforming our XG at that point, though I guess 76 points is still a lot better than the second half of the season! (Which XG-wise I calculate as 26 points, so 52 across the whole season).

*Just counted a difference of 0.5 or less as a draw, and anything bigger than 0.5 as a win for that team.
Teams that do well eventually exceed their Xg

I don’t think the stadium really had much of an impact on the results, it was the lack of freshness in the squad that cost us. We’re now trying to integrate too many new first team players at once.

I think the combination of under-strengthening, not listening and over-promising all added up. They were sold on moving back in last season, it got shifted by a couple of months and then a little more before suddenly most of the season. That uncertainty did not help one bit.

Why do you think it’s so useless?

My perspective is simply

- It calculates the quality of the chance, not the quality of the players
- If you gave exactly the same chances to every striker in the PL, it's pretty much a guarantee that Kane and Aguero would outscore pretty much everyone else

Add the keeper variances as well ... the stat is at best a guide for what the team is doing, not for me who should be winning

My perspective is simply

- If you gave exactly the same chances to every striker in the PL, it's pretty much a guarantee that Kane and Aguero would outscore pretty much everyone else

Add the keeper variances as well ... the stat is at best a guide for what the team is doing, not for me who should be winning

Yeah of course. That’s exactly what it’s intended to be.

My perspective is simply

There's less variance in xG scored (over the long term) than you might think.

The variance is more that the top strikers get themselves in those positions, receive the ball and get a shot off more than the lesser ones.

There's less variance in xG scored (over the long term) than you might think.

The variance is more that the top strikers get themselves in those positions, receive the ball and get a shot off more than the lesser ones.
Thanks for that, got me curious.

Had a look at understat looking at player statistics for some of the top strikers. Generally got the impression that the best strikers outperform their xG by a bit over the course of a season, but not by much.

16/17 season Kane crushed his xG by scoring 9 more than xG would predict. That's the only season he's scored more than four more than xG would predict.

Most players i looked at had similar numbers when averaged out over a season. Best players having the occasional standout season, but generally between one and a handful of goals.

The freak of nature that is Messi being the standout exception I could find, though there might be more.

Thanks for that, got me curious.

Had a look at understat looking at player statistics for some of the top strikers. Generally got the impression that the best strikers outperform their xG by a bit over the course of a season, but not by much.

16/17 season Kane crushed his xG by scoring 9 more than xG would predict. That's the only season he's scored more than four more than xG would predict.

Most players i looked at had similar numbers when averaged out over a season. Best players having the occasional standout season, but generally between one and a handful of goals.

The freak of nature that is Messi being the standout exception I could find, though there might be more.
Wasn't that the season Kane kept putting them in from 20 yards? If so that would massively beat his xG

Extremely Mou-related (although Ajax might wish to cover their eyes as there is positive use of the "P" word in this article). I did not write it.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ion-mauricio-pochettino-architects-own-crisis

Nothing wrong with being pro Poch but you know what you are doing.

You held yourself back when mou first came in but have used this mini crisis at the Club currently (which most level headed Spurs fans know is due to the unprecedented injuries effecting the striker positions) to unleash upon this forum the true extent of your absolute total devastation at Poch going.

It reminds me very much of this guy at my school many years ago who was totally obsessed with the original Ronaldo. He loved Barca and then swapped to Inter when he moved to them. But when he went to Madrid it completely killed him and I believe he even ended up talking to a professional mental health doctor to help him through it.

You should really consider doing the same.

By the way from the time when mou came in up until Son’s injury (so Kane already out for months and Sonny’s injury the straw that broke etc etc) we were second in the league and only liverpool were ahead of us.

Poch is gone, its done, its over with, mou mou is the manager. You need to accept this, stop constantly mulling over it and move on for goodness sake man.

Extremely Mou-related (although Ajax might wish to cover their eyes as there is positive use of the "P" word in this article). I did not write it.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ion-mauricio-pochettino-architects-own-crisis

No surprise that you found that and posted it here.

You held yourself back when mou first came in but have used this mini crisis at the Club currently (which most level headed Spurs fans know is due to the unprecedented injuries effecting the striker positions) to unleash upon this forum the true extent of your absolute total devastation at Poch going.

It reminds me very much of this guy at my school many years ago who was totally obsessed with the original Ronaldo. He loved Barca and then swapped to Inter when he moved to them. But when he went to Madrid it completely killed him and I believe he even ended up talking to a professional mental health doctor to help him through it.

By the way from the time when mou came in up until Son’s injury (so Kane already out for months and Sonny’s injury the straw that broke etc etc) we were second in the league and only liverpool were ahead of us.

Poch is gone, its done, its over with, mou mou is the manager. You need to accept this, stop constantly mulling over it and move on for goodness sake man.

This.

No surprise that you found that and posted it here.

This.

Yeah, it really wasn't hard to find. I read The Guardian daily and, well, there it was today.

Given that I usually respect your opinion (and ability to gauge how it is possible to support an overall meal while questioning some of the ingredients) and given this is a Mourinho thread, I will ask; do you disagree with his observations on Mourinho?

A ridiculous post, on so many levels. Least of which: ignoring our form, style of play and indeed luck when gathering all those points which put us only behind Liverpool and Emirates Marketing Project.
Also, completely ignoring the negative ninny comments and style that Jose has brought.

The previous manager is IRRELEVANT when judging us since he was replaced.

Your comments on mental health...well they beggar belief..

As always your contribution is appreciated, however I will be ignoring your heartfelt advice. Thank you for the genuine concern though, it has touched me.:D

Yeah, it really wasn't hard to find. I read The Guardian daily and, well, there it was today.

Given that I usually respect your opinion (and ability to gauge how it is possible to support an overall meal while questioning some of the ingredients) and given this is a Mourinho thread, I will ask; do you disagree with his observations on Mourinho?
I think it’s just another article digging our Mourinho with a poorly structured diatribe

if your going to write an sticker try to use context and also qualify your opinions

he mentions missing two strikers but doesn’t mention those two had contributed 30 odd goals which frames it more

he also didn’t mention the other players who were injured

all he really focusses I’m are the negative words in the press conference which is fine... that’s his call but it’s as repetitive and boring as his press conferences IMO

I usually respect your opinion as well mate, but IMO you have made it clear from when he first came here that you were not happy with the appointment and have made that clear ever since. And before going any further i like you were a big fan of Poch and would have liked to have seen him given more time.

But it is what it is and we should all move on but it seems some can not do so, i think his observations on Jose show what side of the fence ( likes/dislikes) he sits on and i do not think it is not slanted to be a fair and unbiased view.

I get that there are some fans who can not stand Jose ( and that is fair) but i had to chuckle to see it was you who posted and not another member.

Buts Stop! Hammer time and like it or not he is our manager and he has a real big job what with all the injurys etc and it seems there are some fans who can not get past their beliefs ( true or imagined) about him.

Back