• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Back Four

Dicko

Dean Richards
Can anyone remember another side replacing their whole back line in a summer window? Because right now we could be looking at needing not only a new back 4 but a new DM (and some might also argue a new GK)

Is it even possible to do, it seems to take us more than one window to identify, negotiate and finalise a single transfer over recent years yet Jose is going to need to sit down and make a shortlist (or even a very long list) full of defenders for Levy and co. to get cracking on.

Can anyone remember another side replacing their whole back line in a summer window? Because right now we could be looking at needing not only a new back 4 but a new DM (and some might also argue a new GK)

Is it even possible to do, it seems to take us more than one window to identify, negotiate and finalise a single transfer over recent years yet Jose is going to need to sit down and make a shortlist (or even a very long list) full of defenders for Levy and co. to get cracking on.
Liverpool did it in 1 year pretty much

It can't be done with one transfer window and even if it were possible, Enic won't do it.

And I can't see Jose sticking around for 3-4 transfer windows, whilst Enic oversea a clear out of 5-6 players and have them replaced with £40m+ signings...

Won't surprise me that we see a falling out in the summer between Levy and Jose....

It can be done in one window but actually fixing the basics and clear areas of concern first would make less issues of the defence

sort out the two full backs and that defence gets better imo by about 30 to 40% and realistically it shouldn’t cost silly money. We have FBs who just are really really poor at the role now and when you have a player like Aurier whose redeeming feature is crossing or Davies now whose redeeming feature he is steady but neither seem to even excel at this characteristics anymore it’s a problem

add in a DM if that’s what Jose wants and the CBS look less of a problem.

Hugo is a worry but actually this season the only stand out keepers have been Allison, p,us Pope and Henderson.

Pope would be a great signing IMO as he is huge and comes from everything which is key for a defence as you know where you stand... Hugo doesn’t install confidence in his defence anymore

I think you have to remember that the whole team is in a bad place psychologically right now, and virtually no one is playing to their potential (apart from Lo Celso). Whereas Toby, Dier and Davies all played at a high level in our 86 point 2016/17 season, as did Sanchez 17/18. And Tanganga looks like a brilliant prospect for a 20 year old, as did Sessegnon at Fulham (who seems far more like a full back than attacking midfielder to me).

I agree we need a right back, but then I’d like to see us focus on a defensive midfielder and no.9, and have some more luck with injuries. At that point I think the whole squad would get a lift, and we might see some of our existing centre backs and left backs rise to the required level.

Agree that we need a lot of change at the back

- Aurier is too error prone and needs improving. We only have one RB as it is
- At CB
- JV will leave
- Toby is passed it, but could act as a 3rd/4th choice next season
- Sanchez has been poor for 18 months, but is good enough as a back-up
- I think Dier deserves a season to try to cement a first choice position at CB
- Tanganga has potential but is a 5th choice CB at the moment, not 4th
- therefore we need a new first choice CB next summer, and perhaps another CB the year after depending on Tanganga's progress
- At LB, we could perhaps survive a season with Davies/Sessegnon in order to focus funds elsewhere and give Sessegnon a chance to improve
- We desperately need a DM

Therefore I'd focus the money this summer on a RB, CB and DM - that's £100m comfortably. Given those are priorities, I think we need to try to find a cheapo/out of contract/old etc back-up CF as those defensive additions are first choice players and more desperately needed

- At CB
- JV will leave
- therefore we need a new first choice CB next summer, and perhaps another CB the year after depending on Tanganga's progress
- At LB, we could perhaps survive a season with Davies/Sessegnon in order to focus funds elsewhere and give Sessegnon a chance to improve

Therefore I'd focus the money this summer on a RB, CB and DM - that's £100m comfortably. Given those are priorities, I think we need to try to find a cheapo/out of contract/old etc back-up CF as those defensive additions are first choice players and more desperately needed
I think we need two full backs and a DM. I genuinely believe that would fix the problems there quickly
We also have the chance to offer someone like Norwich a deal like we did Fulham where they can have KWP as part of the deal for aaron’s... that’s a double deal for us and clears the decks

- At CB
- JV will leave

I’m surprised everyone’s writing Toby off as ‘past it’ - don’t think anyone was saying that last season, and he’s only 31. I think it’s more likely he’s just going through a patch of bad form, like the rest of the team.

I also don’t see the point of having Tanganga as 5th choice - he’d never play, and the only way he’ll improve is by playing. And I think he’s shown enough ability and potential to be given the chance as 3rd or 4th choice anyway (personally I think 3rd).

I’m surprised everyone’s writing Toby off as ‘past it’ - don’t think anyone was saying that last season, and he’s only 31. I think it’s more likely he’s just going through a patch of bad form, like the rest of the team.

I also don’t see the point of having Tanganga as 5th choice - he’d never play, and the only way he’ll improve is by playing. And I think he’s shown enough ability and potential to be given the chance as 3rd or 4th choice anyway (personally I think 3rd).
He will get games as Foyth will be sold, Aurier will be sold and Verts will be free to go

you need 2 players for every position, plus flexible players as additional cover and that will be Joses plan IMO.

Assuming Portugal have got Lo Celso and Bruno Fernandes in their midfield, with Ronaldo up top... and er... other good players. They might be quite a good team :) Amazing insight eh?

But anyway, I presume there are a few good full backs in Portuguese football and Mourinho will have already [told his mate to tap them up] investigated all possibilities.

Assuming Portugal have got Lo Celso and Bruno Fernandes in their midfield, with Ronaldo up top... and er... other good players. They might be quite a good team :) Amazing insight eh?

But anyway, I presume there are a few good full backs in Portuguese football and Mourinho will have already [told his mate to tap them up] investigated all possibilities.
Lo Celso plays for Argentina

Aarons
Pereira
Atal
Upamecano
Koulibaly
Ruben Dias
Demiral
Skriniar
Chilwell

All getable...... if, and it’s a big if, we

HAD ANY FOOKING AMBITION WHATSOEVER!!!