• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tanguy Ndombele

No chance he was sacked for Ndombele. You can't judge a player like that after 3-4 months. Levy doesn't think in those sorts of terms.

It's well known that we couldn't get the players that Poch wanted. Now, maybe there is a debate to be had about what he did sign but, whilst patchy, his record wasn't disastrous by any means. He also showed an ability to improve players...Kane, Son, Dier, Eriksen, Alli, Walker, Alderweireld, Jan, Rose, Mason, Winks, Dembele. All those boys got better under Poch. Most of them might have anyway but Poch played his part.

For what he spent, not many managers would have left a better squad of players. He was also the only manager in Premier League history to go a summer transfer window without signing a player.

Poch had his faults but I think it's absolutely wrong to blame him for the state of the squad Jose inherited. He has minimal responsibility for it in my book.

He signed duds and improved nobody, if it wasn't so sad it would be funny.
Four years top four and a CL final were all just a fluke.
Playing away from home for almost two seasons and not signing anyone for what was it, two or three windows were actually a benefit that he fudged up.

sorry can't agree with that analysis. We bought 26 players under Poch and he improved very very few of them. His record in the transfer market was pretty disasterous. I still think one of the main reasons Levy sacked him was because he didn't rate his ability to spot talent. His last splurge in the transfer market - with 72 big ones spunked on Ndombele was seen as the last straw.

And again!
We've had this debate before. Is it really going to require a long list of the players he improved, a shorter list of the ones he wanted versus the ones he got, and a general list detailing how the man was responsible for us being a CL regular and in last season's final? As for Ndombele, if Poch was his manager still, I believe we'd be seeing another version of him. I think the lad signed for the c Lub and the manager, only to find the manager gone within a few months. Add the culture shock and he is probably only just starting to find his way!

BTW, re: "spotting talent"...IF that was even any reason behind Levy sacking him, it'd be stupid! Modern football demands a DoF or transfer committee which works with the manager to identify his targets and get them. Poch lost his "effective" DoF and ended up with the chairman being the committee maker/breaker. We've all heard the stories, right?

Ndombele must be the laziest, least committed player I've ever witnessed in a Spurs shirt. We've had languid and moody before, but those types were our best players and vital to us. We might really have to cut our losses on this guy...

The only way I can see him working is shorn of any defensive responsibility whatsoever - i.e. taking Dele's role and place in the team. Its a big call, but I don't see how else we can put him in the side without being utterly overrun.

During the Saints cup replay, he went down under a very soft challenge and clutched his back, not getting up for about 30 seconds. This happens on a regular basis. I don't think he is play acting as such to try and deceive the ref and get people booked, I think he is honestly getting the hits clocked up so he can feign injury and get off the pitch if and when he decides its time. I've never, ever seen someone look for ways to get off the pitch before, but I'm convinced this guy does it.

Sessegnon looks like he'd rather not be on the pitch or receive the ball, but that i a young guy who looks absolutely petrified. Ndombele just looks like a terrible professional who can't be arsed and looks for a way out when the going gets tough - or not even tough - just when the going gets going I suppose.

Very worrying performances.

The improvement we have seen in Sissoko is something worthy of miracle worker status alone

Jesus I forgot that one. That was the most remarkable improvement of all. To get a tune out of a fella who looked like a pub player when he came here should put to bed any notion that Poch doesn't improve players.

All clubs in European competition get fixture congestion at some point. Liverpool had 10 games in 30 days or whatever it was a while back. Our problem at present is due to an entirely predictable situation having zero cover for Kane.

We need to sort out the defence too. Being unable to score while still conceding goals is very worrying. Of course Gedson might be the long term solution in midfield but we need another centre half to play alongside Sanchez.

The improvement we have seen in Sissoko is something worthy of miracle worker status alone
Sissoko
Winks
Kane
Dembele
Wanyama for a season
Arguably he got the best out of Rose
He brought on Son, Eriksen, Sanchez, Dele.

And I am sure I have missed some.

Sissoko has a fantastic attitude which makes such a big difference.
Pochettino was good with some but not everybody.

I'm not sure Jose will be patient enough in this area he is used to having huge amounts of money. His recent history really is poor in player management.
I'm still 50/50 on him.

Last edited:
Sissoko
Winks
Kane
Dembele
Wanyama for a season
Arguably he got the best out of Rose
He bought on Son, Eriksen, Sanchez, Dele.

And I am sure I have missed some.

He improved loads, hence why we went from 5th-6th place team to 2nd-3rd place team - I'd like to know how you do that without improving the players available to you.

He improved loads, hence why we went from 5th-6th place team to 2nd-3rd place team - I'd like to know how you do that without improving the players available to you.

I just don't think we will see Pochettinos patients from Jose and there is a greater expectancy ATM on Jose.

Ndombele must be the laziest, least committed player I've ever witnessed in a Spurs shirt. We've had languid and moody before, but those types were our best players and vital to us. We might really have to cut our losses on this guy...

The only way I can see him working is shorn of any defensive responsibility whatsoever - i.e. taking Dele's role and place in the team. Its a big call, but I don't see how else we can put him in the side without being utterly overrun.

During the Saints cup replay, he went down under a very soft challenge and clutched his back, not getting up for about 30 seconds. This happens on a regular basis. I don't think he is play acting as such to try and deceive the ref and get people booked, I think he is honestly getting the hits clocked up so he can feign injury and get off the pitch if and when he decides its time. I've never, ever seen someone look for ways to get off the pitch before, but I'm convinced this guy does it.

Sessegnon looks like he'd rather not be on the pitch or receive the ball, but that i a young guy who looks absolutely petrified. Ndombele just looks like a terrible professional who can't be arsed and looks for a way out when the going gets tough - or not even tough - just when the going gets going I suppose.

I smell this as well.

It's almost like he's driven to distraction by his own mind. And GHod knows what's going on inside that head.

Sissoko has a fantastic attitude which makes such a big difference.
Pochettino was good with some but not everybody.

I'm not sure Jose will be patient enough in this area he is used to having huge amounts of money. His recent history really is poor in player management.
I'm still 50/50 on him.

Look at Fergie, Pep, Clough and any manager you care to mention and they all had players they struggled with and ultimately gave up on. Not putting Poch in their bracket but I think he improved enough players to rubbish the charge that he couldn't do it or wasn't a great coach.

Look at Fergie, Pep, Clough and any manager you care to mention and they all had players they struggled with and ultimately gave up on. Not putting Poch in their bracket but I think he improved enough players to rubbish the charge that he couldn't do it or wasn't a great coach.

he was a good coach not great

Last edited:

You do realise Dele does probably more defensive work than anyone? When he came off on Wednesday he’d covered more ground than any other player on our team. Good luck getting that side of Dele’s role out of Ndom.

he was a good coach not great

He was a very good coach here and did amazing things under the circumstances. He made some mistakes which, if he can learn from, he could become a great coach. The other question marks around him is if his style burns players out early and if he can win a trophy.

Though I thought Levy did right in the end (although I'd have given him the season personally), he gave me my best time as a Spurs fan. I hope he does go on to become truly great.

You do realise Dele does probably more defensive work than anyone? When he came off on Wednesday he’d covered more ground than any other player on our team. Good luck getting that side of Dele’s role out of Ndom.

He probably doesn't realize, no. In fact, I'd say most don't, despite overwhelming evidence that suggests otherwise.

Back