• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Works his nuts of but just seemed on the periphery, we were quite clearly better after the subs.
His game is playing with a striker
He did a lovely bit of skill in the area just before half time and was unlucky
His other okay was average but he was playing wide left which really isn’t his position

Can’t work out why he hasn’t been tried as striker at any point

Yes.
Winners get angry with themselves. He worked his gonad*s off playing wide-left (another position which does not allow him to be the player he can be).

He worked hard and ran a lot but I hope he uses this as motivation and is self-aware enough to realise that his performances in the last 12-24 months really haven't been as good a his reputation suggests.

At some point he needs to stand up and start bossing games or changing the direction of them. He's big, quick, decent engine and technically good - that should enable him to take a game by the scruff of its neck and turning things around. He's in his 5th season as an almost ever-present in a top PL team, 37 international caps and turns 24 this year...he should be developing into someone who can really influence games, but I dont think he''s developed for a couple years. He can have quiet games like last night and then suddenly get on the end of a cross and score, as well as score important goals....but if he doesnt do the last bit, then he's done nothing as he's generally been on the periphery.

This might sound odd but maybe someone needs to coach him into using his energy better? Covering the ground he does, you'd expect him to have a bigger influence in general play but it kind of suggests his running is wasted

Jose took a bit of a dig at him after the game ("He's angry at his performance not me. He'll understand why he was taken off and why the team improved"). Looks like Jose is trying to draw a bit of a reaction from Dele. Risky strategy but hope it pays off.

Playing with two new players ,berwijn and jedson, and moura in a position no one is Used to him being in what do we expect?
Also covering that distance in 60 mins is not conducive to good attacking play. Especially when we had so little of the game.
Hes trying like a bear but it's not easy out there for us atm.

Jose took a bit of a dig at him after the game ("He's angry at his performance not me. He'll understand why he was taken off and why the team improved"). Looks like Jose is trying to draw a bit of a reaction from Dele. Risky strategy but hope it pays off.

I'm not sure its risky. The Dele of this and last season isn't that much of an asset, and if he asked to leave and we got £80m for him, we might well be better off. As above, I like Dele but he's gone backwards over the last 1-2 years and really doesnt influence games as much as he should

None of our forward players are hitting the heights we know they can.
Not only are they playing under a new manager, with new ideas, but with players and let's not forget that the previous incumbent was also trying to transition from one playing style to another.
That's a lot of change over the last 9 months, its not going to be all plain sailing.

He worked hard and ran a lot but I hope he uses this as motivation and is self-aware enough to realise that his performances in the last 12-24 months really haven't been as good a his reputation suggests.

At some point he needs to stand up and start bossing games or changing the direction of them. He's big, quick, decent engine and technically good - that should enable him to take a game by the scruff of its neck and turning things around. He's in his 5th season as an almost ever-present in a top PL team, 37 international caps and turns 24 this year...he should be developing into someone who can really influence games, but I dont think he''s developed for a couple years. He can have quiet games like last night and then suddenly get on the end of a cross and score, as well as score important goals....but if he doesnt do the last bit, then he's done nothing as he's generally been on the periphery.

This might sound odd but maybe someone needs to coach him into using his energy better? Covering the ground he does, you'd expect him to have a bigger influence in general play but it kind of suggests his running is wasted

He can boss games when he plays consistently in the same position.

I'm not sure he can ever boss games. That's not his game. Alli has always been at his best playing off the striker rather than dictating the play in any way. I had hoped he'd develop into a midfielder ala Paul Scholes but he doesn't seem to have the capacity to be that player and seems to be more a Frank Lampard type. That's a great asset to have when we can play him in the right position but, as you note, we've been playing him all over the place to cover injuries.

I'm not sure he can ever boss games. That's not his game. Alli has always been at his best playing off the striker rather than dictating the play in any way. I had hoped he'd develop into a midfielder ala Paul Scholes but he doesn't seem to have the capacity to be that player and seems to be more a Frank Lampard type. That's a great asset to have when we can play him in the right position but, as you note, we've been playing him all over the place to cover injuries.
I likewise agree, I don't think bossing a game has ever been his forte. At his best he's a sublime finisher of moves, whether that is putting the ball in the back of the net himself or playing a part in the stages. But a dominant ball player?

Nah I would have classed him as such, it's not his game and does him a disservice when we have tried to play him that way, it doesn't suit him or us.

He never bosses games, doesn't have that skill set. What he can do is decide games, when he's playing in a very specific position.

Not sure how sustainable that is though, as the whole team needs to play a certain way to accommodate him.

I don't think, much like Eriksen if he was looking to leave there would be the demand for him at the very top clubs. Who would he displace at those teams?

Back