• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

But how long do we give him? He has been rank poor since the world cup in 2018.

Well that is debatable ( imo) however he has struggled getting over health/operations ( some folks do) and IF he can get over them during the summer then as i say he is still a important player for us.

We will see.

Thought he looked more like the old Dier yesterday, started slowly ( like the whole team) but grew into the game.
He was better than in the other games he's played, but still a long way off being good enough for anything other than being an emergency substitute when we play the lesser sides. He had some good moments, but generally, Douglas Luiz ran rings around him in midfield.

He was better than in the other games he's played, but still a long way off being good enough for anything other than being an emergency substitute when we play the lesser sides. He had some good moments, but generally, Douglas Luiz ran rings around him in midfield.

To be honest i did not see it that way at all, as i said he started off slow ( like the whole team did) but got better. He is struggling with fitness at the moment but with a full pre season under his belt i am hoping to see the old Dier, i have a feeling that Jose see's it that way as well.

We shall see.

Well that is debatable ( imo) however he has struggled getting over health/operations ( some folks do) and IF he can get over them during the summer then as i say he is still a important player for us.

We will see.

Agree with the fitness part. Trouble is no amount of pre season or recovery time will help him learn how to pass a ball as his passing is rather limited. He has also lost some pace, he wasn’t the quickest but he was no slouch either. Injuries have taken their toll on him I feel. If he can regain full fitness then happy to keep him around as backup but we need something a bit more progressive and reliable in his position.

Agree with the fitness part. Trouble is no amount of pre season or recovery time will help him learn how to pass a ball as his passing is rather limited. He has also lost some pace, he wasn’t the quickest but he was no slouch either. Injuries have taken their toll on him I feel. If he can regain full fitness then happy to keep him around as backup but we need something a bit more progressive and reliable in his position.

All good points but i think his passing is better then you say, as for the pace well IF he can recover from the illnesses he may get that back. As i say i will not right him off just yet because i do believe he is a better player then some think. I have allways though he would be a great capt and it was good to see him gonad*ing some of our players for not closing down when the ball was in our box.

We shall see.

To be honest i did not see it that way at all, as i said he started off slow ( like the whole team did) but got better. He is struggling with fitness at the moment but with a full pre season under his belt i am hoping to see the old Dier, i have a feeling that Jose see's it that way as well.

We shall see.
The team started fast, before their goal came from nothing really we were up for it and had already had one decent enough opening. Dier himself in particular started slowly, passing the ball directly to the opposition.

Now I understand your thinking that maybe over the summer we can get him fully fit and up to speed, but if so give him the summer and the start of the season to evaluate it may then be too late to get the player we in his position by then.

We have to make the decision whether to trust in Dier's poltential recovery or to make a fresh start with a new player. The window time is limited and decisions will need to be made swiftly, I would hazard that Dier had the rest of this season to prove his worth.

The team started fast, before their goal came from nothing really we were up for it and had already had one decent enough opening. Dier himself in particular started slowly, passing the ball directly to the opposition.

Now I understand your thinking that maybe over the summer we can get him fully fit and up to speed, but if so give him the summer and the start of the season to evaluate it may then be too late to get the player we in his position by then.

We have to make the decision whether to trust in Dier's poltential recovery or to make a fresh start with a new player. The window time is limited and decisions will need to be made swiftly, I would hazard that Dier had the rest of this season to prove his worth.

All good points and you may be right i guess it will be down to how Jose approaches it, he may decide that there are other positions he needs to strengthen first and see where we go from there.

He needs to drop down a level to work his way back up. Not easy being in and out the side, and his confidence isn't there. He needs to play regularly, if need be at a lower level, to find himself. Then I think he'll come good. We won't play him consistently for half a year and be patient enough.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Not possible to prove it either way however Poch was known for his intensive training and we've seen Wanyama only fit for the knackers yard, Vertonghen seemingly on his last legs....is Dier the same reason or is it his illness? Any others?

I'd like to see Dier given pre-season to recover back to his old-self, however his contract is an issue. He won't have pre-season at Spurs if he doesnt sign an extension

Not possible to prove it either way however Poch was known for his intensive training and we've seen Wanyama only fit for the knackers yard, Vertonghen seemingly on his last legs....is Dier the same reason or is it his illness? Any others?

I'd like to see Dier given pre-season to recover back to his old-self, however his contract is an issue. He won't have pre-season at Spurs if he doesnt sign an extension
Dier did say it’s to do with how his body’s immune system has gone awol after the appendix.

However, elsewhere, I do strongly believe that Poch practically killed a lot of players over 5-6 years! Dembele, Wanyama, Vertonghen, Rose all fcuked. Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Toby looking perpetually burnt out now.

No wonder he was desperate for a refresh. I do feel Josés more pragmatic style will enhance our return on investment for some of our older players! ie they won’t be dead or shot by 25.

He has also lost some pace, he wasn’t the quickest but he was no slouch either.
He was always surprisingly fast in a race. But because he is a big unit, he is not so nippy and nimble as the wee fellas.
Yesterday I was pleased to see him sprint back and make a challenge down our left side, overtaking Ben Davies in the process.

Luiz was brick

Constantly in the wrong place hence why we picked up so many balls after their defensive work

Dier cleared some for us and took char which was good to see

how do you know that Poch was known for his intensive training? It's hearsay. I believe that these relatively average players were just loaded on uppers prior to most games or even more noticeably at half time somehow. Now they're fudged

I think Poch knew he was a bit of a fraud really , hence his despondency over time. I heard quite a poignant remark the other day on the radio regarding his reign- that it was built on sand. It didnt get picked up on, was in and out ,and obviously intended to be that- but my. I heard it and certainly recognised it. a brief glimmer of truth.

Last edited:
I think Poch knew he was a bit of a fraud really , hence his despondency over time. I heard quite a poignant remark the other day on the radio regarding his reign- that it was built on sand. It didnt get picked up on, was in and out ,and obviously intended to be that- but my. I heard it and certainly recognised it. a brief glimmer of truth.

One of the most incredible things I have ever seen expressed on this forum.

how do you know that Poch was known for his intensive training? It's hearsay. I believe that these relatively average players were just loaded on uppers prior to most games or even more noticeably at half time somehow. Now they're fudged

Hearsay? almost every "new" Poch player has commented on his training intensity. The most damning is the interview with Dembele who specifically says he left Spurs because his body couldn't handle the training, he could the games but not the training (the fact that Poch didn't modify specifically to help Dembele last longer with us is not a good look).

Re Dier, he's a lot heavier than the earlier version, and whether it's his illness or injuries he's definitely lost something in his first step, just seems like one of those players who's physically lost it earlier than expected.

Latest idea from pundits/etc, is for him to return to CB role, not sure how being slower and often behind the game translates into fit in as CB. He is a priority to replace in summer, it would take a massive turnaround in form and physical output to see him play at this level consistently again.

Who do you support mate? Come on be brave, use Schofield as your inspiration and reveal yourself.

Hearsay? almost every "new" Poch player has commented on his training intensity. The most damning is the interview with Dembele who specifically says he left Spurs because his body couldn't handle the training, he could the games but not the training (the fact that Poch didn't modify specifically to help Dembele last longer with us is not a good look).

Re Dier, he's a lot heavier than the earlier version, and whether it's his illness or injuries he's definitely lost something in his first step, just seems like one of those players who's physically lost it earlier than expected.

Latest idea from pundits/etc, is for him to return to CB role, not sure how being slower and often behind the game translates into fit in as CB. He is a priority to replace in summer, it would take a massive turnaround in form and physical output to see him play at this level consistently again.
The general idea there is that you play most of the game facing the same way and have to turn less.

Back