• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Spurs v Villa

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There's not many, if any, posters on here who I don't respect. If I knew any of them voted Son, I might have to revise that. He was fudging toilet. Credit to the lad for scoring two and particularly the winner, he's my favourite player but he was awful today.

I definitely wasn't going to vote for Sonny for man of the match, but I am now. Fickle as fudge! :p

@milo Sonny

Quoting myself from earlier today. :D

In the end, we deserved to win, and would have deserved to win even if Engels didn't have that monstrous f*ck-up at the end.

Again, I can see what Mourinho's trying to do, and the counter-attacking football was quite frankly amazing to watch at times. It's quick, it's sharp, and, at its best, it will be lethal. Seeing players skinning opponents, burning down the touchline and leaving center-backs for dead is just something I really, really enjoy, and I don't mind if we have to sit deeper to achieve that sort of situation regularly.

But at the moment, we're on different wavelengths all over the shop - the forwards are off form, Dele's gone walkabout, the midfield offers zero protection to the back line, and as a result we get carved open a lot. Which makes this sort of counter-attacking football a lot less effective - hard to burn past defenders at one end when you're conceding horror goals at the other.

We did enough to win. But we really need an organizer somewhere in that back line (or in central midfield), who keeps the team together in a low block. Shouts instructions, screens the back line, and covers where needed.

Dier tries (and I thought he had a good game, actually), but his mobility just isn't there anymore. This, to me, is the number one priority this summer.

Re: Son and Lucas being head-down individualists, that's their game at this point - we can't change it. And I'm not sure we would want to - many of our best moments in the past few years have come because those players have single-mindedly taken on all comers and scored at the end of it. If they habitually f*ck up like pre-2019 Adama Traore, that's an issue, but both of them regularly produce when it matters, so that's acceptable in my view.

We do need to have alternatives to those two for games where a bit more teamwork is needed, and that's what we have Bergwijn for - the boy is something else. It's two games into his career and he's making the runs and passes that Eriksen couldn't make for a full year and a half beforehand.

The kid is a cerebral footballer, who sees space and makes the linkages with team-mates on an instinctual level. Which I find far, far more exciting than his pace, strength or willingness to work off the ball.

So I agree with this, you can see what we are trying to do and we created so many chances it was ridiculous we took until the end to bury the game.

Re the issues, it's also clear Jose took a chance on this game, leaving out players (I'm assuming with CL game in mind), and this is where managers earn their money, the only thing that mattered yesterday was 3 points and we got it.

2 or 3 additions in summer and a pre-season on tactics and i think this team can be something fun to watch

We need to buy upamecano, aarons and soumare this summer whilst letting go of vertonghen, walker-peters, aurier, rose, wanyama, dier and sissoko.

I would also offer dele to barcelona as they seem to be looking for an attacking midfielder and the world still believes the dele of two years ago still exists. Due to that we might get around 70m, which would be utterly amazing when you think what we could get to replace him with that type of money.

Mmmm 3 dream players lots of vowels.

I'd add that we are also very frustrating to watch, at the moment. When we move up a gear, it feels like we're up there with the very best in the league. Unfortunately, the rest of the time, we look incredibly sloppy. Our backline looked like a bunch of amateur players for the first half hour, with hardly two players on the same wavelength. Credit to Toby for keeping his head up after his horrible mistake, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Oddly enough, watching the game on TV, I was under the impression that we had more problem dealing with the wind than they did, particularly in defence.

It may be a bit of an over-simplification but, to me, Mourinho's teams often look like the great Italian sides from the 80s: the opposition always feel like there's something they could have done to win the game, but they always end up losing by the odd goal. That may be what we'll look like at some point in the future but right now, our defending is just too mediocre to emulate these teams in the short term. I'm not sure our defenders have the right mentality for that, except maybe for Tanganga. The others are either too attack-minded (Aurier) or just seem prone to making mistakes (everyone else).

As far as individualities are concerned, I voted for Moura for man of the match, if only because it's uncommon to see such a talented attacking player (let alone a Brazilian) willing to work so hard for the team. On the flip side, he lacks the freshness to make better choices and he tends to be a little predictable but his attitude is commendable, I think.

Also, not a fan of the Dier-Winks partnership, myself. I can't see what others see in them. Their positioning is ok but I'm not a fan of 'all-rounders' - I believe that it's easier to succeed at a higher level when you have more clear-cut characteristics to your game.

We need to buy upamecano, aarons and soumare this summer whilst letting go of vertonghen, walker-peters, aurier, rose, wanyama, dier and sissoko.

I would also offer dele to barcelona as they seem to be looking for an attacking midfielder and the world still believes the dele of two years ago still exists. Due to that we might get around 70m, which would be utterly amazing when you think what we could get to replace him with that type of money.
Is upamecano any better than Tanganga?
Guess we will see this week. Shame we’re playing without a striker to work him

Been reading on the Villa forum, and they're going on about they were denied a clear penalty for handball in the first half?!?!?!?!? I don't recall any moment where there could have been any shouts for possible handball. Have I missed something?

Been reading on the Villa forum, and they're going on about they were denied a clear penalty for handball in the first half?!?!?!?!? I don't recall any moment where there could have been any shouts for possible handball. Have I missed something?
The ball got kicked at an hes and it did hit his arm. His arm was by his side though and as natural a position as it could be so never a penalty
Their manager is still moaning about the penalty though

It was the Sanchez one and even allowing for my Spurs bias, it wasn't a pen. There was another one in their box a couple of mins later when Bergwijn had a shot and it hit one of their hands. That also wasn't a pen buy but if you give the Sanchez one, youd have to give that.

I don't know what the fuss is about. The penalty we got was stonewall. Their manager is talking nonsense.

It was the Sanchez one and even allowing for my Spurs bias, it wasn't a pen. There was another one in their box a couple of mins later when Bergwijn had a shot and it hit one of their hands. That also wasn't a pen buy but if you give the Sanchez one, youd have to give that.

I don't know what the fuss is about. The penalty we got was stonewall. Their manager is talking nonsense.
I honestly don't recall that situation with Sanchez. Was it reviewed by VAR? The Bergwijn shot was not a pen, I agree. Point blank range and hit his chest/stomach and then maybe brushed his arm, but never a pen.

I honestly don't recall that situation with Sanchez. Was it reviewed by VAR? The Bergwijn shot was not a pen, I agree. Point blank range and hit his chest/stomach and then maybe brushed his arm, but never a pen.
We needed to tell that to the Champion League final ref and VAR officials. [emoji36]

Yeah it was and it took seconds
The one the other end was odd as it clearly wasn’t a pen either

Back