• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

Rubbish. Rose along with Winks were rated as our only decent players.
They played better than the others, but everyone on that pitch (including the victims and especially Sissoko) were brick that night. He and Winks stood out because they were a bit less brick than the others.

This is true.. In terms of quality, the game has to rank as the worst CL final in it's entire history..
I was speaking to my friend Pete about it the other day. He's sensible and intelligent, apart from supporting Liverpool, and has an interesting take on things. In his opinion, one of the biggest things that Klopp has done is to instil his side with exceptional game management. As a team, they read the situation and choose how to play it -- press or don't press, sit back or push forward in numbers, almost instinctively and with minimal input from the sidelines. His take on the CL final is that Liverpool went a goal up and killed the game. Sat back and basically challenged us to come up with something against a strong defence. They made us, and themselves, look like a pair of rubbish teams who couldn't create their way out of a paper bag.

I've still not plucked up the courage to watch the game again -- not sure I ever will -- but that does seem like a possibility. It would also explain their propensity for winning games late. Parallels with Fergie's ManU being more than the sum of their parts.

fudge me, it hurts to admit it, but they're winning the league in quite some style. The only silver lining is that, hopefully, people will shut up about Arsenal's Invincibles.

I was speaking to my friend Pete about it the other day. He's sensible and intelligent, apart from supporting Liverpool, and has an interesting take on things. In his opinion, one of the biggest things that Klopp has done is to instil his side with exceptional game management. As a team, they read the situation and choose how to play it -- press or don't press, sit back or push forward in numbers, almost instinctively and with minimal input from the sidelines. His take on the CL final is that Liverpool went a goal up and killed the game. Sat back and basically challenged us to come up with something against a strong defence. They made us, and themselves, look like a pair of rubbish teams who couldn't create their way out of a paper bag.

I've still not plucked up the courage to watch the game again -- not sure I ever will -- but that does seem like a possibility. It would also explain their propensity for winning games late. Parallels with Fergie's ManU being more than the sum of their parts.

fudge me, it hurts to admit it, but they're winning the league in quite some style. The only silver lining is that, hopefully, people will shut up about Arsenal's Invincibles.

He's right that they fluked a penalty and then shut up shop in the CL final. I'm not sure of the more general change.

He's right that they fluked a penalty and then shut up shop in the CL final. I'm not sure of the more general change.
Yeah it wasn’t a Klopp tactic for Mane to kick the ball at Sissokos side and hope it hits his arm after
Both sides IMO struggled to get to the levels they could because the had a BIG break between games and also it’s was 34 degrees
English teams don’t play in those temperatures

I feel you friend is wrong to state that they killed the game. You don't kill a game by bring your opponent down to your level for 89 minutes..That's just luck when on the rare occasion that happens and you come out with a victory ... To kill a game is to score enough goals to create an unassailable lead rather than rely on your opponent not turning up..

True, that after their dubious penalty in the opening minute, they did sit back and play on the counter.. But if he's honest, he would also state that they were awful with their counter attacks, which for the most part were breaking down before they'ed even started.. The amount of unforced errors by both teams on such as stage has rarely been seen.

I'd tell him, that they played so much better in their previous final loss versus Real Madrid but that only this time, they had a competent goalkeeper and not a hapless one, that their opponent played with such unhappiness and bereft of belief.

I take on board that they're a great team and acknowledge their know-how but IMO they didn't control that final, they got away with one. Had they faced nothing stunning, but just a decent performance by a CL finalist opponent that day, they would probably had got beat considering how poorly they themselves played.

And yes, just to stay on the thread topic, Danny Rose was our best player on that forgetful night with 6/10...

I feel you friend is wrong to state that they killed the game. You don't kill a game by bring your opponent down to your level for 89 minutes..That's just luck when on the rare occasion that happens and you come out with a victory ... To kill a game is to score enough goals to create an unassailable lead rather than rely on your opponent not turning up..

True, that after their dubious penalty in the opening minute, they did sit back and play on the counter.. But if he's honest, he would also state that they were awful with their counter attacks, which for the most part were breaking down before they'ed even started.. The amount of unforced errors by both teams on such as stage has rarely been seen.

I'd tell him, that they played so much better in their previous final loss versus Real Madrid but that only this time, they had a competent goalkeeper and not a hapless one, that their opponent played with such unhappiness and bereft of belief.

I take on board that they're a great team and acknowledge their know-how but IMO they didn't control that final, they got away with one. Had they faced nothing stunning, but just a decent performance by a CL finalist opponent that day, they would probably had got beat considering how poorly they themselves played.

And yes, just to stay on the thread topic, Danny Rose was our best player on that forgetful night with 6/10...
This.

The fact that their goalie was voted Man of the Match shows that Liverpool didn’t really manage to shut up shop particularly well but unfortunately our shots kept on going towards the middle of the goal (much like we did to de Gea when ManUre robbed a 1-0 win at Wembley) so it required Alisson to do a Karius for us to score.

Gutting that Origi fluked a goal (only his 5th in 31 games) to give the score-line some much undeserved gloss, so the record books will forever show a comfy looking 2-0 win for them :(

67EFEB44-E07D-4B57-8D52-C63929649031.png

Seen a few bits on tv of pool lifting the cup, and celebrating. Left after 90 mins to have a long walk and a think...

cant speak for others but I’d rather eat my own plop than rewatch that final. Once was enough!

Once I am judged in the afterlife and if the bad things I’ve done outweighs the good then I’m sure I’ll be drip fed food , forced to sit in a straightjacket watching that final on loop.

It was horrific and nearly broke my soul.

Seen a few bits on tv of pool lifting the cup, and celebrating. Left after 90 mins to have a long walk and a think...

cant speak for others but I’d rather eat my own plop than rewatch that final. Once was enough!

Once I am judged in the afterlife and if the bad things I’ve done outweighs the good then I’m sure I’ll be drip fed food , forced to sit in a straightjacket watching that final on loop.

It was horrific and nearly broke my soul.
I’m still struggling to process it all even now.

Luckily, I can still watch the City and Ajax game highlights and smile broadly at these. They were some of my best memories ever and even the crappy final doesn’t change that for me. Ajax was possibly the greatest feeling of my Spurs supporting life.

Luckily, I can still watch the City and Ajax game highlights and smile broadly at these. They were some of my best memories ever and even the crappy final doesn’t change that for me. Ajax was possibly the greatest feeling of my Spurs supporting life.

Just watched the highlights of the Ajax game again this morning, funnily enough. Still gives me goosebumps. Darren Fletcher and Jermaine Jenas’s commentary is great.

It's ruined City and Ajax for me. And that's a shame because at the time those games brought me a type of joy I hadn't really experienced as a Spurs fan - certainly not since 1991 anyway. That final, and our no-show, just tinkled all over the CL run for me. I hope that at some stage I can get the same enjoyment out of re-watching City and Ajax.

As for the theory that Liverpool controlled the game because they got ahead in the 1st minute - I don't buy it for a second. They didn't really turn up and I think had we beaten them, it would have crushed that squad who were under immense pressure to win because they'd fallen at the final hurdle so often. If Poch's Tottenham had turned up, we'd have beaten them. Sadly, Poch's Tottenham were a long time gone by the time the final rolled around.

It's ruined City and Ajax for me. And that's a shame because at the time those games bought me a type of joy I hadn't really experienced as a Spurs fan - certainly not since 1991 anyway. That final, and our no-show, just tinkled all over the CL run for me. I hope that at some stage I can get the same enjoyment out of re-watching City and Ajax.

As for the theory that Liverpool controlled the game because they got ahead in the 1st minute - I don't buy it for a second. They didn't really turn up and I think had we beaten them, it would have crushed that squad who were under immense pressure to win because they'd fallen at the final hurdle so often. If Poch's Tottenham had turned up, we'd have beaten them. Sadly, Poch's Tottenham were a long time gone by the time the final rolled around.
Manager and team struggling to win finals, causing a potential mental block? Just lost the league by a point?? Dr Tottenham will see you now...

Last edited:
Rose must be enjoying his new found happy place, up north, wet and losing week in week out. No more pesky mid week trips to Europe either.

Back