• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Decent living wage?

nayenezgani

Jimmy Neighbour
What do people consider a decent yearly wage?

Without any children to look after, just a dog.

Living in any major UK city, other than London.

@scaramanga Har, har, har if it's not six figures you're not living. Har, har, har if it's not London you don't exist. HAR!

But seriously, legitimate answers please. :)

Even excluding London, I'd think there would still be a significant variation depending upon the city.

Bristol, for example is going to be far more costly than Nottingham. I'd think that 50k could make a single person very, very comfortable in the latter. Not so sure on the former.

Last edited:
It also depends on age. The higher figures in here probably show posters ages!

...shooting from the hip could age be a way to gauge appropriate earnings? Whatever your age is, could be a minimum of what you should be earning? Which would mean @parklane1 should get the drinks in.

married man single income in the home counties £75k
single man in the home counties £150k :D;)
All joking aside that sounds about right. That will cover a mortgage, a modest car loan or long term rental and your bills.

Spending money is to suit your needs but if you're not eating out every night and don't have particularly expensive tastes that will cover you.

What do people consider a decent yearly wage?

Without any children to look after, just a dog.

Living in any major UK city, other than London.

@scaramanga Har, har, har if it's not six figures you're not living. Har, har, har if it's not London you don't exist. HAR!

But seriously, legitimate answers please. :)
Depending where you live about 20k more than your age is decent
Double your age is very decent

and the reason I relate to age is the experience vs accountability piece

My experience of life is the more you get paid the less you are accountable for any mistakes or wrong doings.
Id argue the opposite
Your more accountable but you also have more get outs
It’s why directors who fail just take a new role despite failing....
but lower paid people feel their more accountable

I’m working with government currently and there is a cult like view point from civil servants that’s kinda bizarre

Id argue the opposite
Your more accountable but you also have more get outs
It’s why directors who fail just take a new role despite failing....
but lower paid people feel their more accountable

I’m working with government currently and there is a cult like view point from civil servants that’s kinda bizarre

I spend half my life stalking the halls of Westminster and senior civil servants (SC1 and above) are the weirdest people to work with, they won't make a decision unless they have at least 2 independent reports telling them its the right thing to do and then suddenly they will come up with something so left field you wonder if they have just dropped a tab.

My other half of my like I work for global brands and its the only thing that keeps me sane

I spend half my life stalking the halls of Westminster and senior civil servants (SC1 and above) are the weirdest people to work with, they won't make a decision unless they have at least 2 independent reports telling them its the right thing to do and then suddenly they will come up with something so left field you wonder if they have just dropped a tab.

My other half of my like I work for global brands and its the only thing that keeps me sane
I’m from corporate and now working on a 2 year project for government defence

it’s odd... very very odd...

Your mortgage tends to be the biggest outlay each month. If you can pay that along with the bills but still have £300-£400 left over per month. You can live fine. It depends what you like doing with your life. No matter how much money you have, you would always like a bit more.

Your mortgage tends to be the biggest outlay each month. If you can pay that along with the bills but still have £300-£400 left over per month. You can live fine. It depends what you like doing with your life. No matter how much money you have, you would always like a bit more.

I honestly don't.

Back