• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Marmite player for a lot of fans, personally I like him. Another game where he didn't play and we got beat. Until we get a better DM he's our best option and when not ill or injured needs to play in front of the back 4 as we're too lightweight and far too open when we give away possession....something by the way we excelled at today!
Didn’t lose today because of a lack of a Dm... unless that player can manage to pass And link play because that was what we were lacking

Or.....he just got a virus.... like a human
Perhaps... but Dier did state in interviews recently that his immunity has been borked since the surgery...

“My immune system just really struggled with the medicine after the appendix and I kept on getting ill. People said I was injured but I was never injured. I just kept on falling ill because of it [the appendix], which was very frustrating.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/nov/07/eric-dier-injured-ill-tottenham-perforated-appendix

and appendectomy patients do tend to suffer slightly higher rates of infection plus take longer to recover from them...

https://time.com/4631305/appendicitis-appendix-gut-bacteria/
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/19/well/live/the-case-against-appendectomies.html

The guy has been through some rough times with his health ( and still is by the sound of it), i have been sticking up for him while a lot of fans have been slagging him off and failing to see that he has been hard hit.

I really hope he can recover from it and return fit and well because IF he can he will be a asset for us going forward.

The guy has been through some rough times with his health ( and still is by the sound of it), i have been sticking up for him while a lot of fans have been slagging him off and failing to see that he has been hard hit.

I really hope he can recover from it and return fit and well because IF he can he will be a asset for us going forward.
But we are not running a rehabilitation charity. We are already carrying a sick note in Lamela and have a whole host of players who are showing questionable motivation. I like Dier very much as a bloke but we simply cannot carry him and he has never been good enough as the main defensive midfielder to expect great things even when fit. It is a position we need to upgrade quickly as it is causing us major problems.

It's not "slagging him off," it's being realistic.

But we are not running a rehabilitation charity. We are already carrying a sick note in Lamela and have a whole host of players who are showing questionable motivation. I like Dier very much as a bloke but we simply cannot carry him and he has never been good enough as the main defensive midfielder to expect great things even when fit. It is a position we need to upgrade quickly as it is causing us major problems.

It's not "slagging him off," it's being realistic.

Realistic it may be to you, to others ( myself included) its not that simple. Injurys can happen to any player( and you are right about Lamela) but illness is a completely different thing and it effects some far worse then others, Dier has suffered ( and still is by the sound of it) and it has hit him hard.

There are some fans ( not saying you are one of them) are not taking that into the equation, he has proved what a good player he is ( not maybe to you but to a lot of fans he has). If he can overcome the problems he has ( illness recovery) and still not be good enough ( wish i really doubt will happen) then fair enough, only time will tell.

Realistic it may be to you, to others ( myself included) its not that simple. Injurys can happen to any player( and you are right about Lamela) but illness is a completely different thing and it effects some far worse then others, Dier has suffered ( and still is by the sound of it) and it has hit him hard.

There are some fans ( not saying you are one of them) are not taking that into the equation, he has proved what a good player he is ( not maybe to you but to a lot of fans he has). If he can overcome the problems he has ( illness recovery) and still not be good enough ( wish i really doubt will happen) then fair enough, only time will tell.
I actually wonder whether Dier would be better off taking the rest of this season off to try to fully recover and then start afresh with pre season this summer.

I actually wonder whether Dier would be better off taking the rest of this season off to try to fully recover and then start afresh with pre season this summer.

It almost feels like they are giving him every chance but it's just not happening. Feel for the lad.
It really looks like he isn't getting better for the long term.

I guess only the club ( and himself) can know that, maybe it would be for the best as you say though. I think the biggest problem is that we have no one else who can do what ( when fit) he can/does for us and because of that he keeps trying to come back.

I'd happily sell. Seems to have lost what little pace he had and defensively he's too easily done by players getting in behind him. Don't see him having anything more than a backup role.
I wonder who would be interested in paying a Levy fee for him who will guarantee him more game time than us? If he’s prepared to take a step back to play more then fair play, but if he thinks he can play as often for a CL team then I think he’s deluded or thinks all his fitness issues will be resolved with a pre season and a change of scene.

I think that he is a player who needs to adjust his game because of how his body/fitness have changed. I think that he can still be a very good player but I think that may well be for another club, playing another position. It is a real shame because we could really do with the Dier of three or four years ago right now.

I think that he is a player who needs to adjust his game because of how his body/fitness have changed. I think that he can still be a very good player but I think that may well be for another club, playing another position. It is a real shame because we could really do with the Dier of three or four years ago right now.

Dier's ability to come in to midfield with the ball and drop in to the back three out of possession was a huge part of the best football we played under Poch IMO granted it was with Jan and Toby at their best which helps.

I was pretty hyped for Dier making waves again this season, and Jose coming in should have helped but it just doesn't seem to be happening. Not Victor levels but with the contract situation a move makes sense I suppose..Everton is a good shout though, how much could we realistically expect? hopefully 15m to put towards a DM signing?

I think he just needed a rest after his illness a few months back. Some viruses etc can linger for months and take it out of you. I'd like to think we will see a lot better from him next year, however given his contract situation, he needs to sign a new one first.

Dier's ability to come in to midfield with the ball and drop in to the back three out of possession was a huge part of the best football we played under Poch IMO granted it was with Jan and Toby at their best which helps.

I was pretty hyped for Dier making waves again this season, and Jose coming in should have helped but it just doesn't seem to be happening. Not Victor levels but with the contract situation a move makes sense I suppose..Everton is a good shout though, how much could we realistically expect? hopefully 15m to put towards a DM signing?

I thought that he was great in the season he played in a back three with Verts and Alderweireld. I know that it's not the position that he wanted to play at that stage but it might be where he ends up.

I think he just needed a rest after his illness a few months back. Some viruses etc can linger for months and take it out of you. I'd like to think we will see a lot better from him next year, however given his contract situation, he needs to sign a new one first.

I think that is also true, he's had a disrupted couple of seasons and it'll be interesting to see where he is with a summer off and proper pre-season.

It's a non story. He will be sold in the summer as he only has a year left on his contract.
We all knew that.

He's in the same boat as Skipp and Wanyama.

Back